Thread: A big Thanks from the Michiana Chapter

Speedster Member

A big Thanks from the Michiana Chapter

I wanted to take a moment in this area to thank everyone that came to the Convention in South Bend this past week. This was a collective team effort from many organizations, companies, and chapter members, as well as the Museum, and the City of South Bend. This was our first truncated Convention and while I believe only one event, Fun Night, which for me was never really that fun, and the dead day on Friday were eliminated, we hope that you enjoyed your stay in South Bend. It is a huge undertaking to put on events with volunteers, even with the members in our Chapter that basically do a Convention every year in May.

What made it the most rewarding from my standpoint, besides seeing people that I only see once a year, was looking down the entire length of the street after the parade into South Bend. It was filled with people. People looking at our Studebakers, girls dressed in prom dresses posing for pictures with our Studebakers, and members that had their cars there talking to the crowd. This same thing happened on Saturday. Younger people with kids walking around looking at our cars. This is exactly how we need to market ourselves for the future. I think we did a lot for our Club, and for Studebaker this week. This is why we have such shows in venues and times where we can promote ourselves to new people, and not just ourselves.

Thanks again for coming to South Bend.

A big thanks to all who made the event possible!
    Barry'd in Studes

President Member
    I arrived Tuesday and stayed until Saturday noon. I left the Stude back home. The swap meet was pretty darn good for sure although a little on the cold/wet side. I did notice a difference in the venue with the parade downtown, the news coverage and proving ground tour were great. I really feel compelled to comment that the weather pretty much "rained on the parade". I'm not sure why the meet was held in early May(??) as I think the same meet in June would have been better attended and even more successful. The early May weather in South Bend is a coin toss. All said, it was an enjoyable meet and thanks a ton to the Michiana chapter!
    Last edited by nels; 05-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.

President Member
    The thanks go to you Bob and the Michiana Chapter for not only putting on a great meet, but doing so in a new format. The few bumps involved were taken care of very well, and we had a great time. Thanks also to Tom Curtis for his help with our unique request. You folks are a class act and it's a pleasure to make the trip for a visit. Thanks again to you all, Bill and Patti Van Alstyne.

The early May date meant that those "younger people" that are SDC members could not attend the convention because their kids were still in school or could only come on Saturday, which meant, locals only. Maybe a better choice would have been to move the annual swap meet to June. Hope these comments don't fall on deaf ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    I arrived Tuesday and stayed until Saturday noon. I left the Stude back home. The swap meet was pretty darn good for sure although a little on the cold/wet side. I did notice a difference in the venue with the parade downtown, the news coverage and proving ground tour were great. I really feel compelled to comment that the weather pretty much "rained on the parade". I'm not sure why the meet was held in early May(??) as I think the same meet in June would have been better attended and even more successful. The early May weather in South Bend is a coin toss. All said, it was an enjoyable meet and thanks a ton to the Michigan chapter!
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Great job to everyone involved. I run a small one day car show and know the effort it takes just to do that. To put on an event like you guys did is an amazing task! I was only able to make it for Friday and Saturday but everything I saw went smooth and was well planned out.

I Would love to see the international meet come back to south bend more often than every 5 years! Either way I'll be back and with my stude.

Bob Henning, thanks for persuading the Clubhouse at Bendix Woods (next to the proving grounds) to open their doors Saturday morning.
    After lapping the track, some of us drove over to the Club House (where Sherwood Egbert and his family lived during his employment for Studebaker) and were allowed to see all levels of the building (I didn't look in the attic, but it is allegedly filled to the rafters with NOS 1963 GT Hawk grill shells and aluminum decklid fascia...).

Thanks also to Andrea Edholm, the administrative assistant at the clubhouse, she was very friendly and is very knowledgeable of Studebaker (she used to work at the Studebaker Museum and her grandfathers were both Studebaker employees back in the day).

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    The early May date meant that those "younger people" that are SDC members could not attend the convention because their kids were still in school or could only come on Saturday, which meant, locals only. Maybe a better choice would have been to move the annual swap meet to June. Hope these comments don't fall on deaf ears.
    The subject of IM scheduling that been discussed here many times. There is almost no time period that will satisfy everyone. Some northeastern states don't finish school until the end of June. Some southern states start school in mid-August. That only leaves the month of July till the middle of August without public school conflicts. That's the hottest part of the year -- which makes it unpleasant in the deep South and Southwest. The RI meet was held over the July 4th weekend --- which some people were also unhappy with -- too much traffic.

We had a great time other than the weather. I'am sure it was a lot of work and everything went somewhat off with out a hitch. Not to complain but on some of the scheduled outing it would have been nice to have addresses list on the fliers. Such as the proving track it just said proving track which works well for those that know where it is at but the rest of us had a hard time. I had to get it from the front desk at the Double tree so we could up it in the GPS.

Commander Member
    I would like to thank the Michiana Chapter and everyone else that participated in making this international meet a huge success. I brought a friend that is not a Studebaker owner and he had just as good of a time as I did. We participated in the Building 84 tour, concours judging, the parade into downtown South Bend, driving of my car at the proving grounds, and the Saturday car show. We also took in the Studebaker museum and toured the Notre Dame Basillica. Everyone working the events were pleasant, helpful and made our experience a memorable one. Thank You!
    Last edited by Randy Ridenour; 05-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    Randy Ridenour
    Frostburg,MD
    1964 GT Hawk

The swap meet was great from a sales point of view. I would have preferred some heat in the Singer building, but that was not the club's fault. Being inside without the rain and wind sure beat trying to vend outside. ;o
    Overall, I enjoyed myself very much. Thanks Michiana Chapter.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

President Member
    Bob,

You folks made the trip, the stay and the event well worth having to put up with the wet and cold. My wife and I thank you and your volunteers for putting on such a good event. Looking forward to next year, all ready.
    Bo

Speedster Member
    Great meet. Weather is always a factor regardless of the date. Swap meet was very good. South Bend is a tough venue to stage a meet in. Local civic changes over the years has made it tougher to accommodate all our members in one place. I think the Michiana Chapter pulled it off. Hats off to them.
    james r pepper

We had a great, if cold, time! I should have thrown a couple of sweaters in the bag -- entirely my fault. Other than that, I really enjoyed the event. We come out every year for the Michiana swap. It's always interesting when it overlaps with a zone meet and this pushed it up to the next level. I really enjoyed the extra vehicles in the car show and had the pleasure of meeting quite a few new people that made the trek for an International. I'm going to guarantee hot weather for the swap next year by loading up my bag with wool socks and hats with ear flaps. You can count on it.

Bob

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Markham View Post
    Bob,

You folks made the trip, the stay and the event well worth having to put up with the wet and cold. My wife and I thank you and your volunteers for putting on such a good event. Looking forward to next year, all ready.
    Thanks. This was a team effort with a lot of groups, Co-Chair Tom Curtis, companies and our entire Chapter working together. I do have to say that I usually don't wear my Winter coat the entire Meet, but this year I had too. Look forward to seeing you next year! The Michiana Chapter will be hosting the Crossroads Zone Meet, and I know we will have a new feature for our guests.

Let me add my thanks as well. This was my first meet and my wife and I enjoyed it very much. The sight of all of those Studebakers downtown and at the show on Saturday is one never to forget. I had the opportunity to meet some of the folks I had only known from this forum so that in itself was worth the price of admission!

Thank you Michiana Chapter organizers and volunteers alike! Well done!

Kato

A big thank you from the west coast. Every one should go to South Bend some at least once.

Kudos, Michiana Chapter! You made out first IM a memorable one!
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"