This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbled by Friends; MANY thanks

As many of you know who attended the last day of the 2017 SDC National Meet, a kidney stone of which I was unaware, and never having had one, decided about 3:30 AM early Saturday morning, May 6th, to break loose and begin what has got to be the most painful experience I've ever had.

Ted Harbit and I were rooming together at Comfort Suites on Kern Road and old 31. After 40 minutes of stumbling around the room in excruciating pain and being careful to not step on Superman's cape...oops, I mean wake Ted...I realized this was not indigestion and I had better call an ambulance. 'Thought maybe my appendix had burst. Got dressed, left Ted a note as to why I was not in the room when he awoke, and went down to the empty lobby. The night desk clerk, as is typical at that facility, couldn't have been nicer and had South Bend's Finest pull up in an ambulance post haste. Off to Memorial Hospital ER downtown.

Ted got up later, read my note, and checked out. He then had breakfast (oops; he didn't; see Post #30!) at the Comfort Suites freebie/included breakfast "buffet" and brought everyone up to speed as to where I was...or wasn't, as was the case.

While there in ER waiting to be discharged with several Rx prescriptions and instructions to not drive anything that day, Jim Turner called to offer help. Tom Lawlis, another Indy Chapter SDCer, called to volunteer to retrieve me once discharged.

Tom picked me up and we went right to the fairgrounds, stopping to get some prescriptions filled on the way. By the time we arrived at the fairgrounds, Ted, cousin George Krem, George's wife Ludene, and Nelson Bove had all devised a plan to get my trailer hooked up to my truck and The Stude Tomato loaded on it for its trip back to Ted's. George and Ludene were going to follow Ted home to visit a couple days anyway to get The Plain Brown Wrapper ready for summertime. (It currently "lives" at Ted's.) George would drive my truck and loaded [with The Stude Tomato] trailer. Ludene would follow in their new Focus.

George called about 7:30 Saturday evening to say everything was safely back at Ted's...about the time Richard Poe called to check in and Howe and Charlotte Clark stopped at the house to see if Cari wanted to sell any of my cars yet. Hmmm....

Earlier in the day, having picked me up at the ER about 9 AM Saturday morning, Tom Lawlis said he had taken all the photos he wanted the previous day and was inclined to head for home, just a few miles from our house, and would I like a ride home? Boy, was I glad to have that offer! Since all the logistics were in place to get everything back home from South Bend, I took Tom up on his offer and was home in Brownsburg in bed at 2:00 PM Saturday afternoon. John Kern also stepped up at the fairgrounds to offer help.

'Hated to miss the 2017 SDC Car Show with the new format, but I could barely move and really wanted to go home. The ER doctor said it was a small stone and was far enough down that we should wait and let it pass naturally , which she expected it to do presently. It's still there at 8:00 PM Saturday evening , so I'm hoping it passes soon. It's still pretty painful.

'Times like these, a fellow is genuinely humbled by the goodness of SDC friends, so I want to publicly thank them for stepping up Saturday and getting everything taken care of that I was suddenly unable to do. It is truly humbling.

Thanks so very much to all. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-11-2017, 03:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Well Bob...I just clicked on this thread. Not only can I identify with this situation, but can truly do it with sympathy AND EMPATHY!!! Superman or not, Ted is very lucky it was you and not me. If it had been me, Ted would have been startled awake with me loudly (between shouts of agony), demanding a piggy back ride to the lobby!

I read your post to my wife (Nurse Donnie) and we got a good laugh, (at yours and my expense) comparing behaviors between your reaction and mine to those little internal demons!

I think a kidney stone attack is God's way of letting us men know the pain women experience in natural childbirth. Glad you are home. This too, shall pass. Prayers for a speedy recovery, for you (and Cari).
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Praying for a quick, and complete recovery for you, Bob. And...sending up a word of thanks for friends like those we have.
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

I feel for you Bob. I also had one at an inopportune time. I was at an event held in the Village where my father lived (and I grew up). The day had been proclaimed to be in my father's honor. He was 100 at that time. We went to the event reviewing point in front of the Village Hall in a police car and I left in an ambulance. Oh - it was also my birthday. My only request when I was being loaded into the ambulance was for the police to take Cathy back to where our car was parked (at my father's home).
        I am not trying to make light of what you went through. I am just one of probably many here that have gone through a stone and know what pain it is. Not the worst pain that I have been in (that was at the SDC Convention in Dearborn - another story), but right up there.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob,
          It was nice talking with you at the meet, sorry to hear about the stone! I can also relate and know first hand what you're going through.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I too can relate to what you are going through. I had a kidney stone once and it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. The Studebaker community is a very good group of people. Hope you have a speedy recovery. When I passed my stone naturally their was little to no pain associated with that if that is any consolation.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I think a kidney stone attack is God's way of letting us men know the pain women experience in natural childbirth. Glad you are home. This too, shall pass. Prayers for a speedy recovery, for you (and Cari).
              Thanks, John; you make a good point.

My Nurse Practitioner daughter says kidney stone delivery is more painful than childbirth...and since she and hubby have three children, she's in a position (well, has been in a position!) to know.

I would tend to agree. If childbirth was as painful as a kidney stone, every child would be an only child! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Get well fast and hopefully it passed by now.
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Bob,
                  Glad you are getting through it, and hopefully will be on the mend soon, when the stone(s) finally pass. I had a female co-worker who told me of her experience with kidney stones, and said it was nearly as painful as childbirth. She was advised to drink water with fresh lemon juice in it; for the remaining years we worked together, she always had a lemon water bottle on her desk. Based on her experience, even with kidney stones us guys are still lucky, but I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy.

Get well soon!

Joe H

Comment

Bob,

Glad you are feeling better. It's nice to know there are so many people ready to lend a hand when something goes wrong. Glad you got home OK and your rig got home.

Rest up and we'll see you in Bean Blossom in a couple weeks!

Neil
                    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop
                    1962 Champ Truck
                    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Bob, I really feel for you. But at least you got to attend most of the meet. I as supposed to have surgery on Friday which was only part of the reason we couldn't go to South Bend. Fortunately my problem appears to remain under control so surgery was cancelled. Get well quickly Bob.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Bob, I have witnessed somebody going through that agony and it looked TERRIBLE. Glad you were able to get the Studebaker family to help you out! Hope you never have to go through that again.
                        sigpic
                        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Bob, I suffered through the same situation while attending a Northeast Zone meet in Maine. Like you I was so grateful to the SDC members who helped me with not only the recovery of my GT Hawk which was abandoned on the roadside but also getting me back to NY - Paul Shuffleburg and Charlie Davis
                          Peter Bishop

Comment

Get well soon.
                            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

So you're saying that of all the Studebaker meets that you have attended, this will be the most memorable of all time?
                              Good luck BP, it was nice talking to you but am sorry that Ted's chocolate covered peanut butter balls had such a terrible effect on you. Take care!
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X