Thread: I know I should know this but over 52 years I have had a brain F**T

President Member

I know I should know this but over 52 years I have had a brain F**T

Ok so today it was unwrap the Avanti day.........from her 7 month slumber in the garage.
    I am checking everything out under the hood........the points still show a total dwell of 32.5 degrees......this after almost 20 yrs after install:-)
    Anyway I happened to look at the starter solenoid and I see a thin green wire coming out of the wire harness..but the end was broken off from whatever it was attached to.
    Now is this the 12V by-pass wire I have read about over the many years?..........needed in very cold temps to provide the full voltage upon starting? My Avanti is never ever driven in the winter, only spring and summer. I say this because the car started right up today with just a few pumps of the gas........not too bad for sitting for seven months, idle:-)

So gents where does this wire actually go?.....it looks like it did go on the "S" terminal of the solenoid........is it imperative that I re-attach it?

Thanks for the elucidation:-)

President Member
    Green wire black trace, goes to coil for your stated purpose. congrats on the find. Luck Doofus

President Member
    Thank you, but the wire is hanging by the starter solenoid, which terminal does it go to, the "I" or the "S" and if the car is summer only is that wire actually needed to run the car?
    Quote Originally Posted by doofus View Post
    Green wire black trace, goes to coil for your stated purpose. congrats on the find. Luck Doofus

It only comes into play when your ignition switch is cranked to the start position. That is, it gives full voltage to the coil only while the starter is cranking. When you release the key, then voltage then goes through the resistor. Hooking it up won't make continuous voltage, it becomes a dead wire.(like it is now). It should be the terminal that only gets power when the solenoid is energized. It is the free terminal that is not hooked up now. How do I know? Because it wouldn't energize the starter if you had the key switch hooked up to the other terminal, it wouldn't energize the solenoid. Normally this is the "I" terminal. (I had to look it up)
    Last edited by bezhawk; 05-01-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Silver Hawk Member
    On most solenoids, "S" is the crank terminal, and "I" is the momentary ignition contact.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    Thank you sir I "assumed" the "S" would be that as the hand crank switch I have from Sears attaches to the "S" side and the other to the battery.

President Member
    Thank you for the answer........one last question those I & S terminals.....what size are those threaded studs?........I want to pick up some round connectors that I can crimp onto the wire.........which looks like a number 18 AWG?

The studs are most likely 10-32, but I would remove the nut and take it to the hardware store to be sure.

The nut needs to be removed anyway for the new terminal.

President Member
    The ending of the story is..........the reason the green wire was just hanging is because the black rubber connector that went on the terminal........well the wire actually rotted out of it and the rubber "boot' remained..........just spliced on a small round connector and that was that.........I do worry about the white wire going to the "S" terminal and if it is also about to disintegrate?

"Liquid Tape" is a good product to brush on the ends to make a wire strain relief or to cover bare spots on wires.