Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trek To SB Is Underway; Longest Distance In A Stude Award?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trek To SB Is Underway; Longest Distance In A Stude Award?

Monitoring, "Studebaker Addicts" and other Stude groups on FaceBook, it looks like folks are underway to SB in their Studes, from near and far. Many folks in their brand 'X' vehicles will get a treat, in seeing rolling pieces of American art on the highways. Though the driven Studes may or may not enter as show cars at the meet, they are being, "shown" to millions on the highways.

Is there still a Longest Distance In A Stude Award? If so, its gonna be interesting.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 04-30-2017, 09:52 AM.

Joe. According to cornerstone sounds like the number of people going to south bend this year are higher that what they thought it would be.

Comment

If you're within driving distance of South Bend, why would you go anywhere else than the International Meet? Register when you get here!

Join the fun..

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Monitoring, "Studebaker Addicts" and other Stude groups on FaceBook, it looks like folks are underway to SB in their Studes, from near and far. Many folks in their brand 'X' vehicles will get a treat, in seeing rolling pieces of American art on the highways. Though the driven Studes may or may not enter as show cars at the meet, they are being, "shown" to millions on the highways.

Is there still a Longest Distance In A Stude Award? If so, its gonna be interesting.
        As you've seen from my Facebook posts, we're on the road with two Hawks from Florida to SB. Currently in southern Indiana for the night. We've stayed away from interstates and it's been a really pretty drive the whole way, except for some heavy rain. The horn honks, waves, and conversations at every stop make it all worthwhile. People are amazed that we're covering so many miles in a couple of old Studebakers.

The '61 4 speed has ran flawlessly; haven't even had a reason to open the hood. The '64 started out with a grumpy attitude but seemed to be doing a lot better today.

This is the first time I've ever driven to a national meet in a Studebaker. Now, anything else just seems wrong!

Can we claim twice the mileage since we're driving two Studes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170430_222635.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1713434

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170430_222649.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	1713435
        Last edited by mbstude; 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          As you've seen from my Facebook posts, we're on the road with two Hawks from Florida to SB. Currently in southern Indiana for the night. We've stayed away from interstates and it's been a really pretty drive the whole way, except for some heavy rain. The horn honks, waves, and conversations at every stop make it all worthwhile. People are amazed that we're covering so many miles in a couple of old Studebakers.

The '61 4 speed has ran flawlessly; haven't even had a reason to open the hood. The '64 started out with a grumpy attitude but seemed to be doing a lot better today.

This is the first time I've ever driven to a national meet in a Studebaker. Now, anything else just seems wrong!

[ATTACH]63823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63824[/ATTACH]

That's great! Glad they are both running well! We Look forward to seeing both of them at the meet later this week. Safe travels for the rest of your trip!

Comment

Joe and I will be leaving home around midnight tonight. We should be in South Bend around noon for set up. No Studebakers, just parts.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Although part of the trip is over water I am thinking that Greg Diffen of the United Kingdom must be coming the longest way. First he is flying over the Atlantic Ocean, then across the USA, then driving from California in a Studebaker with his friends to South Bend, and then back home again by air. I wonder if anyone can beat that. So sorry we will not be there to see them.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

[ATTACH]63823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63824[/ATTACH]
                Doctor Cade asked the same question at the Nashville meet in 1992 if he could claim 10 Studebakers coming to Nashville from Florida. After a no, he said try filling up 10 cars at one time and that should count for something.

That was a great meet, Jenny and I saw Randy Travis and Roy Acuff at the Grand Ole Opry and took the river cruise and dinner on the General Jackson.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Not the farthest, but we have four Studies caravaning from the Eastern North Carolina chapter: a 62 Champ, a 62 GT Hawk, a 64 Champ and a 65 Cruiser. A 53 is being trailered as well. South Bend or bust!
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The Los Angeles chapter is represented by Ric DiOrio in his '56 Pinehurst wagon. Ric arrived in South Bend today. 2519 miles. He should be a candidate for a long distance award.
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Wednesday morning while registering my wife met a couple from Christchurch New Zealand. He was in shorts, guess nobody warned him about Indiana in May!!
                      Bob
                      Bob
                      Welland Ontario
                      60 Lark Convertible
                      64 Daytona
                      sigpic
                      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                        The Los Angeles chapter is represented by Ric DiOrio in his '56 Pinehurst wagon. Ric arrived in South Bend today. 2519 miles. He should be a candidate for a long distance award.
                        I looked around for that Pinehurst, and did not see it. Hope they made the trip OK. Woulda liked to have seen their wagon. If there was a long distance award, they shoulda definitely been in the runnin.

Comment

If there wasn't a long distance award, I would like to suggest here and now that we establish one for future International Meets. I think those who DRIVE their Studebakers these long distances should be recognized for that accomplishment.
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                          X