This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other museums worth a visit while in South Bend

Since I'm getting there early for the Studebaker Truck Farmer's Dinner on Tuesday afternoon, I'm going to try to use the time to get over to Auburn to the wonderful Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum.

Does anyone know if the S.Ray Miller Museum in Elkhart is still extant? I remember much was sold off around 2004.

If things are slow mid-week, I might even make the run down to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

I've seen them all fifteen years ago and they're definitely worth a return trip.

jack vines
    PackardV8

The S. Ray Miller collection was auctioned some years ago, as you indicated. Rather close to South Bend is the Hostetler Hudson Museum in Shipshewana, IN. Shipshe is a smaller version of Lancaster with tourism related primarily to the Amish and Mennonites. The LaPorte County Historical Museum is very nice with excellent cars including a Tucker. It also includes a firearm collection of 1,000 guns. In a bigger radius would be the ACD and NATMUS in Auburn, IN and the Gilmore Museums in Hickory Corners, MI.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

If you are heading down to Indy you might want to swing by
      the Kokomo Automotive Museum. Nice little museum.

Comment

Just found the LaPorte County Historical Society has a 30-car collection. So many car museums in northern Indiana and so little time.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Just found the LaPorte County Historical Society has a 30-car collection. So many car museums in northern Indiana and so little time.

jack vines
          I'm told the Gilmore museum is not far from South Bend and very impressive, although I've never been. I can tell you that the Hostetler Hudson museum in nearby Shipshewana is awesome....nearly-perfect Hudsons including one-offs. Mr. Hostetler passed a couple years ago so I'd look online to see if they are still open. Good Amish cooking restaurants in town, too. In fact, Shipshewana is right on U.S. 20, a short, straight shot from the fairgrounds in SB.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

South Bend to Hickory Corners (Gilmore Car Museum) is 93 miles. I have volunteered for 10+ years at the Gilmore and it is awesome. 400+ vehicles in a rural 90 acre setting with restored barns, diner, Shell gas station, pedal cars, motorcycles and dealer showroom buildings make this a worthwhile trip. The National museums for Model A, Lincoln, Cadillac, Pierce Arrow and Franklin are all there plus many Kalamazoo built cars (Roamer-Barley). A truck exhibit starts May 1st in the special gallery. Lots of Classic Packards, a 1958 Packard Hawk, Pierce Arrows and 1937 Coupe Express will keep the interest for
            Studebaker fans. Obviously, I am a huge fan and feel so lucky to have such a world-class facility as an ode to our automotive heritage so nearby.

The Gilmore Car Museum is located on a historic 90-acre campus in Hickory Corners, MI. We house a collection of over 300 vintage automobiles & motorcycles.

Comment

Right behind the Auburn Museum is another great museum. Mostly trucks. Even a Futurliner!

Automobile Museum in Auburn Indiana. Home of Futurliner #10, and more than 150 classic cars and trucks. A great venue for your event, wedding, or reception.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                South Bend to Hickory Corners (Gilmore Car Museum) is 93 miles. I have volunteered for 10+ years at the Gilmore and it is awesome. 400+ vehicles in a rural 90 acre setting with restored barns, diner, Shell gas station, pedal cars, motorcycles and dealer showroom buildings make this a worthwhile trip. The National museums for Model A, Lincoln, Cadillac, Pierce Arrow and Franklin are all there plus many Kalamazoo built cars (Roamer-Barley). A truck exhibit starts May 1st in the special gallery. Lots of Classic Packards, a 1958 Packard Hawk, Pierce Arrows and 1937 Coupe Express will keep the interest for
                Studebaker fans. Obviously, I am a huge fan and feel so lucky to have such a world-class facility as an ode to our automotive heritage so nearby.

http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/
                Doesn't appear to be much for me to do on Thursday, so I think I may drive my GT Hawk to the Gilmore museum then. How about we get a caravan of Studebakers together and go there as a group? Leave at 8 am? Anybody?
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Jack, I concur with post#5. On our return trip last year we went through the Gilmore Museum (real close near Kalamazoo) and it is so huge a full day will hardly do it but tons of eye candy. I hope you make the time for it.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    I can tell you that the Hostetler Hudson museum in nearby Shipshewana is awesome....nearly-perfect Hudsons including one-offs. Mr. Hostetler passed a couple years ago so I'd look online to see if they are still open.
                    One had better get there QUICK!! http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Cla...430013343.html

They say as early as September the museum could be closing!!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X