Thread: 1963 R2 Super Lark Daytona convertible eye candy at 2017 Mecum Indy auction (my dream car!)

1963 R2 Super Lark Daytona convertible eye candy at 2017 Mecum Indy auction (my dream car!)

Up for auction sometime between May 16th-20th, this beauty is advertised as having only 4768 original miles! This car would look even better parked in my garage.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...k/1940860.html

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    Downright gorgeous !
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Very nice car, but I would still like to see the Production Order before actually handing over any $$$.

If its a genuine package SuperLark, it would not have 1964 style R2 fender emblems, and it possibly should have a tach, not a clock. (although there are some genuine SuperLarks with clocks; again, the Production Order would verify.)

Craig

Valid points Craig. Is my memory correct in that the Powershift was not available on 1963 Studebakers? I see the auction has some other alleged low mileage Studebakers, perhaps from the same collector?

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Valid points Craig. Is my memory correct in that the Powershift was not available on 1963 Studebakers?
    It was later in the model year: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...berti-papers-3

Craig

"Floor Shift

February 15 is the approximate date for the start of production for the floor shift for the automatic. Mr. Minkel will notify the field that floor shift will be available on Larks and Hawks with bucket seats."

Thanks Craig

On another subject, I looked at the Coker Tire website, and the tires on the car appear to be BF Goodrich Silvertown 205/75 R15 goldline tires. I think it is the perfect look for that car and wheel combination. $245 per tire, ouch!

Champion Member
    What will it go for? $40K maybe? 65,000 miles less than the one Grandpa gave me!

Karl
    Silicon Vallley

IMG_2696.jpg

Brent It's only money go to mecum and buy it. Your young you have the rest of your life to pay it off. I also like the 63 lark converts.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studbkr View Post
    What will it go for? $40K maybe? 65,000 miles less than the one Grandpa gave me!

Karl
    Silicon Vallley

IMG_2696.jpg
    What it will bring is anybody's guess but I feel Studes are starting to wake up some of the Camaro, Mustang, 'Cuda crowd. It is something different for a change. It's a double edged sword though; sometimes I hope I'm right sometimes I hope I'm wrong.
    I do remember a black R2 convertible, low mileage car in Pennsylvania many many years ago. I wonder if this could be that car?

If it's late enough to have a power shift, wouldn't it be late enough to not have LARK designation on the front fenders? My 63 Daytona Hardtop didn't have the LARK emblem and the fenders were not drilled for them. Just curious. I was under the impression that the LARK designation on Daytonas and Cruisers was dropped in mid 63.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by studbkr View Post

Karl
    Silicon Vallley

IMG_2696.jpg
    Karl,
    you can make up for the money you lost on the Avanti by selling me your Daytona convertible. Very nice looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    If it's late enough to have a power shift, wouldn't it be late enough to not have LARK designation on the front fenders? My 63 Daytona Hardtop didn't have the LARK emblem and the fenders were not drilled for them. Just curious. I was under the impression that the LARK designation on Daytonas and Cruisers was dropped in mid 63.
    Only the Cruiser and mid-year Standard models didn't have the Lark lettering on the front fenders. Daytonas had them right until the end of 1963 production.

Craig

President Member
    Nels,

Is this the black one from Pennsylvania? I've owned it since 1983 and lived in PA many moons ago. Has 35,000 miles and Bob Palma sat it in when new on the dealer lot.

1963 lark convert TW cover scan1.jpg
    4651112042_a4a02a316e_n.jpg

President Member
    I'm impressed with how great it looks in BLACK. I've not seen many in black through the years. This one, for some reason, jumps out at you. I hope it brings BIG money at Mecum.
    sals54

I don't see the LARK designation on the fenders of this one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by studefan View Post
    Nels,

Is this the black one from Pennsylvania? I've owned it since 1983 and lived in PA many moons ago. Has 35,000 miles and Bob Palma sat it in when new on the dealer lot.

1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studefan View Post
    Nels,

Hmmm, I don't know. When I saw it I seem to remember a little rust on the front fenders and I was thinking it had less than 10k miles. I forget the interior color and I remember the fellow that owned it was a farmer...I think. Late seventies or early eighties sounds about right though.I do know it was not a package car.
    Yours sure looks nice!

I was looking at the Mecum website, https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-28...a-convertible/
    in hopes of finding some history of this car but found nothing, however I found it interesting that they give an estimated value of $90,000-100,000!

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    The '63 Lark Convertible going through the Mecum sale is Lot #F195. That means it will be the 195th vehicle to cross the block Friday, May 19th. That's a pretty good position, around mid-day.

I have e-mailed my Media Contact person at Mecum and asked her to check that Lot Number to see if she can determine the Serial Number from the consignment paperwork, that I have been asked to authenticate the car. I'll post here anything I find out. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Champion Member
    Milaca: My grandfather bought it new and I've been riding in it for 54 years. Can't sell it! My price would be unreasonably high! (69K miles, original upholstery...)

My Mecum contact advised me that the Serial Number on Lot #F195, this 1963 Convertible, is 63V8546. The original engine number was JTS1228. I do not know if that engine block is still in the car, but the number is now out there for anyone interested.

Our 1963 Production Records indicate the following: 63V8546 was built as an R2 convertible with heavy-duty Flightomatic. It was originally Regal Red. Optional equipment included bucket seats, disc brakes, and Twin Traction.

It cannot be an authentic Super Lark because it was built 'way before Full-Package 1963 Larks and Hawks, true Super Studebakers by the company's own definition, were available. Further, it was built without heavy-duty springs or shock absorbers, with which it would have been equipped had it been a Super Lark.

That said, it is good to know that it was orginally an R2/automatic car. If it checks out as nice as it looks, it could be a good buy for someone who wanted an authentic R2 1963 convertible. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thank you for the information Bob. By the way, do you believe the floor shift is not original to this car?

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Thank you for the information Bob. By the way, do you believe the floor shift is not original to this car?
    Correct, Brent; the car would not have originally had a floor shifter. That wasn't available until about five months after this car was built.

Since it was built with column-shift, heavy-duty Flightomatic, the conversion wouldn't have been as difficult as if it had been a manual-transmission car. We don't know if someone installed a true Powershift transmission or made the Powershift configuration work on the original heavy-duty Flightomatic that was already in it. BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    Funny the engine number was JTS-1228. The engine number in my former '63 Daytona Skytop R1 was JT-1228.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Coming up for auction this Friday! Perhaps Bob Palma will buy it, I can picture him expanding his collection to include every model of 1963 Daytona in black.

President Member
    Will this be televised live?

President Member
    This Daytona presents very nicely, although with as readily available as production orders are, one might have thought it would have been built as the production order. The '64 fender badge would just slap me in the face every time I got into the car. This is not a big thing--you heard it here!--but that's why the restorer should've gotten it right! It's not a big thing, but it might be a big thing to correct.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now