Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'58 Commander Starlight - caught between rock and hard place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '58 Commander Starlight - caught between rock and hard place?

Looks like it might have some good swtiches or a wheel or two...

By the looks of the steering wheel, no one was in the car - thank God...

It's for sale here. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog

I think that's the nice, unrestored, low mileage '58 that John Poulos had about 10 years ago. It went to Oregon when he sold it so that part fits.

Sure am curious to know how it ended up like that.

Comment

I love the restyling

Comment

I didn't think that any styling could be worse that the '58 Studebaker sedans, but these pictures prove that it can be worse.
        -Dwight (soon to "Ralph" or something after the '58 loyalists chime in)

Comment

How on earth is there $2000 worth of anything left on that car?
          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            It's for sale here. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog

I think that's the nice, unrestored, low mileage '58 that John Poulos had about 10 years ago. It went to Oregon when he sold it so that part fits.

Sure am curious to know how it ended up like that.
            I wonder if this is the one that was in Midlothian, Va. that Dick Steinkamp and I discussed buying. I think JDP ended up with it.
            Last edited by Guido; 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately it looks like the car pictured on the right side of the photos. It shows up about once a year at a club event, so I don't know the story.
              Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

What a shame. I'd like to know what happened to it. The amount of damage, front and rear is incredible, hopefully no one was hurt.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  Yes, it is the one :http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Christine-sold

Craig

Comment

That'll buff out.

Looks like the back end was wrapped around a pole, perhaps it was hit by a large truck while parked. Perhaps the owner paid too much attention to the wife of a jealous heavy equipment operator.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would guess an encounter at a level crossing with a train.

Craig

Comment

Gosh, you do wonder how that happened.

Take a look at that LF fender from the side. It appears to have never been rusty along the back edge; repaired or otherwise.

So sad to see that fate for what was apparently a nice car and rare Studebaker model, although, surprisingly, it was the 4th most popular 1958 V8 car:

1. Commander sedan: 6,771 units
                        2. Silver Hawk coupe: 4,485
                        3. President sedan: 3,570
                        4. Commander hardtop: 2,555

BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Gosh, you do wonder how that happened.
                          I hope it wasn't the IIHS at work again.

In any case, it is a shame to see such a nice, original 1950's car like this lost, regardless of the make.

Craig

Comment

Sad. I was going to say it reminds me of the Christine Fury at the end but it's not going to fix its self like in the movie. I didn't know this Commander was nicknamed Christine.

Comment

Sad to see such a rare car destroyed. Hope no one was injured or killed. Like on Monty Python, looking at that poor Studebaker, makes "my brain hurts" .
                              I also would like to know what happened? Due to the extent of damage , I'd would agree that it looks like it was hit by a locomotive and pushed down the tracks for a thousand feet or so.
                              Last edited by 57pack; 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM.
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                              X