Never say "I'll never move again!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never say "I'll never move again!"

I need to keep my mouth shut. A little over 8 years ago I moved here to Perris & made it clear (or so I thought) that this was it & I'll never move again. So 2 days ago I bought another house in Seligman, Arizona. Perhaps a mile off Route 66 as the crow flies but even more room for my Studes than here. The house itself is slightly smaller, lot is bigger but it has a GARAGE!!!!!!!

The guy I bought it from said he was originally from Indianapolis so, of course I said I had a friend that lives in nearby Brownsburg. His reaction was "NO WAY! I graduated from Brownsburg High in 2001. It would be a real small world if Bob knew him too!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    I need to keep my mouth shut. A little over 8 years ago I moved here to Perris & made it clear (or so I thought) that this was it & I'll never move again. So 2 days ago I bought another house in Seligman, Arizona. Perhaps a mile off Route 66 as the crow flies but even more room for my Studes than here. The house itself is slightly smaller, lot is bigger but it has a GARAGE!!!!!!!

The guy I bought it from said he was originally from Indianapolis so, of course I said I had a friend that lives in nearby Brownsburg. His reaction was "NO WAY! I graduated from Brownsburg High in 2001. It would be a real small world if Bob knew him too!
    That's pretty cool, Warren. Small world. Did you get his name?

If he graduated from Brownsburg [IN] High School in 2001, he would have more likely known our daughter, Kate Palma. She was a year in front of him (graduated 2000), and was Class President of the 2000 Brownsburg High School class.

Too, he would have been a Freshman at BHS when our son Joe was a Senior, in 1998. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congratulations! I just googled Seligman. My impression is that it is developed enough for comfortable living, has plenty of nearby scenic eye candy, yet an opportunity for precious solitude. Something becoming rare as urban sprawl continues to to turn our nation into a coast to coast ghetto. May you live long and prosper!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I was born in Indianapolis and spent summers at my grandparents home in Plainfield, just south of Brownsburg. It was a great place back in the 50s. It is, indeed, a small world.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Congrats on getting out of Cali. I understand lots of people are leaving in droves. But also sure others are coming in to replace the ones leaving. Even my son, who has said for decades he'd never leave Cali has been considering it.

AZ is nice, but hot in the lower desert. I believe Seligman is near Laughlin, NV, but elevated a bit. We used to go from Laughlin to Seligman and Oatman, when in Laughlin each April for the annual motorcycle rally.

Comment

Congrats Warren.
            We winter in Topock, AZ 116 miles to the south west of Seligman. They hold an annual Route 66 car club event travelling from Seligman to Kingman (45 minutes from Topock) in the spring I believe. Good luck with the transfer of your hobby.
            Bill

Comment

The Rt. 66 Fun Run is May 5-7 this year. Seligman is about 65 miles from Kingman on I-40.
              Rick
              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Yep, everyone there is looking forward to the fun run. It is the topic of conversation both in Seligman where we stayed & in Kingman at the diner we ate at right on route 66. There they had posters of the fun run through the years, hanging on the walls.

Thank you all for such kind words. I'm grateful the my wife, Joy is even more excited & looking forward being there than even me! The place has a 2,000 gallon water tank & I bought the 500 gallon water trailer with it so the only thing connecting us with "civilization" will be electric & phone/internet. Joy wants a solar setup when I put up the metal garage so that will make us even more independent! Three & a half acres will be just right.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yep, everyone there is looking forward to the fun run. It is the topic of conversation both in Seligman where we stayed & in Kingman at the diner we ate at right on route 66. There they had posters of the fun run through the years, hanging on the walls.

Thank you all for such kind words. I'm grateful the my wife, Joy is even more excited & looking forward being there than even me! The place has a 2,000 gallon water tank & I bought the 500 gallon water trailer with it so the only thing connecting us with "civilization" will be electric & phone/internet. Joy wants a solar setup when I put up the metal garage so that will make us even more independent! Three & a half acres will be just right.
                  Sounds like a wonderful place, but if very far off the grid you might wanna get a Rottweiler, and keep a firearm handy. Crime is surprisingly high in remote areas, usually related to drugs, one way or another.

Comment

Seligman has a different "vibe" for me. I was 10 miles outside the city when my Turbo Audi lost everything but 1st and reverse. I limped into town at 4,000 RPM going about 28 MPH. We called Auto Club because we has 100 mile service and our destination was only 88 miles away. We sat there for well over an hour when I noticed the garage across the street had an AAA sign. I quipped to my wife that, "Watch, the transport truck will come from that place." Another 15 minutes later I saw a guy walk to the flat bed transport and got in. So..., we had to wait 75 minutes for the guy to drive across the street.

My wife had stipulated that we had two children in car seats and needed four seating places in whatever they sent out. This truck was not going to sit five people side by side on the single bench seat. Instead they kept us in the car (is that even legal?) on the flat tow truck. It was a rather unusual experience. We joked that like the stage coach gone wild the driver might have a heart attack and I'd have to work my way to the cab to bring the truck to a halt. That Audi was a car that always failed us when we needed it most. And I had told my wife to bring the pink slip because if anything went wrong we were leaving the car. The next morning after securing a rental car we promptly took the Audi (in 1st gear) to Goodwill and donated it.

From what I can remember is was kind of between somewhere and somewhere else. I saw a Route 66 documentary where Seligman was one of the "hanging on towns" from when the then new highway skirted the edge of town. But none of that should matter if it has what you are looking for. Frankly there is some appeal for me too. My wife - not so much.

In response to posts #5 and #9. Yes, the middle class is leaving California. Many go to Idaho, Utah and the like. The state is headed for a significant divide. There is the ever present immigration from the poorer south and also from wealth across the Pacific. I don't get to leave though. My kids are 5th generation Californians on their mom's side going back to 1850. The roots run too deep to leave.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post

My wife had stipulated that we had two children in car seats and needed four seating places in whatever they sent out. This truck was not going to sit five people side by side on the single bench seat. Instead they kept us in the car (is that even legal?) on the flat tow truck. It was a rather unusual experience.
                        It probably is not -- I know it is not legal in most Eastern states, as the roll back driver warned us about that law when we had to have our Tahoe carried back to DC when it failed in southern NJ. My wife rode in the truck, and the dog and I hunkered down in the Tahoe, chained down on the back of the roll back. The dog really enjoyed the view from up there, and I had a terrible time getting him to scrunch down when we went through a Md state weigh station. There were 3 or 4 state police cars parked there.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Across the street from the former barber shop that's now the HQ of the Route 66 Museum was a Chevy dealer that had been closed for many years.

I stopped there in 1985 while on my way to the Pate swap meet in TX

Lying on the dusty weedy ground west of the building were all sorts of NOS parts from...not only '50's Chevy's, but Fords too, so at one time this might have been a Ford dealer.

Take a look-see, there might still be some goodies.

btw: If people are leaving CA in droves, you wouldn't think so by the traffic here. Maybe they left their cars behind parked in freeway lanes.

I'd be willing to bet that more people are moving to CA than leaving it...and I'm not talking about the 'south of the border types.'
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            Congrats on getting out of Cali. I understand lots of people are leaving in droves.
                            Really? Seriously?

Comment

Working...
                            X