Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Weasel not a Weasel? Something different. On Craig's List in central PA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Weasel not a Weasel? Something different. On Craig's List in central PA.

Looks more like a ZipVan installed on tracks.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

By the looks of the tracks, it is a M-29 (Weasel) - almost looks like someone was trying to create a "Zip Weasel" or something like that.

Comment

That thing is so cool looking .. I love it .. Would be a fun unit to have in the Canadian winters .
      Love my Lark

Comment

I have ran across photos of these artic Weasels before can't remember where now but it did have something to do with Alaska and some military base.
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Zip Van Weasel? LOL Rip Van Winkle....

Comment

Nice looking modification job. Does not look cobbled up at all. Too bad we don't get much snow in North Carolina .
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It was Tow Vehicle for a very large artillery piece. I beleive the gun was called a "Long Tom"...

Comment

The "Long Tom" is a 155mm gun. Not the largest in inventory but was quite effective.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I would think that a Weasel would be small for an artillery tow vehicle. There was a artillery tow vehicle at a museum our chapter visited and it was huge.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

They're referred to as "prime movers" and they generally are pretty big. Often they're based on the chassis of a tank to cut the overall costs of the designs. Specialized trucks are used as well as prime movers. I would think a Weasel would be taxed to moved artillery larger than a 105mm field piece...especially as it wasn't designed for that use.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

One would think a Weasel would make good tractor, but one would wrong. Pull a car? Yes, within limits. Pull a big truck? No. You can't steer, and usually one track just breaks free and spins. Tried it. I think the Weasel pictured is a home-built using a van body or parts thereof. Definitely not an Arctic cab.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I just can't resist commenting. Once upon a time, I was in infantryman in a little place called Khe Sahn that some of you might remember. For a couple of day my platoon was assigned the mission to provide security for a battery of 155's. I can remember standing right behind the guns as they fired and being able to actually see the rounds go down range. Very impressive.

A week or so later I had a fight with a Chinese hand grenade (the grenade won) and my war was over.

In in any case, this little tracked vehicle (weasel or not) would certainly not be capable of towing a 155 Long Tom.

Tom

Comment

I think it's the Chariot from the old 1960s "Lost in Space" TV Series...
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Swamp Fox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1713345Found this on another Site...

Comment

I believe the article that 345desoto posted is part of the TNJ Murry company in Dover De. They were giving rides in weasels at The meet there a few years ago , They also upgraded Weasels during WW2 fro specific missions , Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X