Thread: Needed KONI Shock part number for '63 Avanti

Commander Member

Needed KONI Shock part number for '63 Avanti

Does anyone have the the KONI shock part number for the front and rear on a '63 R1 Avanti? Or if you are running something else on your Avanti, what is the part number and how did the install go??
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

President Member
    Some old notes.....

The 8240 series are a newer shock, they are gas filled. The originals in 63 were the 82-1425 and 82-1184. Don't know about them being gas filled however

KONI's
    SHOCK - KONI -64-83 - 8240A-1011 -------- Front shock
    SHOCK - KONI - 64-83 8240F-1012 -------- Rear shock
    SHOCK - KONI - 63-83 - 82-1425 for the rears and 82-1184 for the fronts.
    The Stude part #'s are 1700703 for the rears and 1700702 for the fronts.
    SHOCK - 64-84 Avanti Koni ft shock: 82-1184
    SHOCK - 63-84 Avanti Koni rear shock: 82-1425
    NOTE: the only difference between the Konis listed for the front of the Avanti and
    the ones for the 70s Camaro is the size of the slotted pin driven into the hoop end
    of the shock. You should be able to drive out the one supplied and substitude the pin
    from your current shocks. (A100prcent@aol.com - Sep 2009))

SHOCK - Koni 63 - 84 8240A-1011 -------- Front shock
    SHOCK - Koni 63 - 84 8240F-1012 -------- Rear shock

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Silver Hawk Member
    The last time I tried to order those numbers, all were NLA. If you find a source, please share it here.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    I have a pair of the 8240's on my car, which were obtained in the late 90's and they were scarce then. I believe the only alternative is to use the Camaro units.

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Silver Hawk Member
    So anyone have the Camaro Koni numbers?

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    A quick Google came up with this;

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-f...FZq1wAodIuoKXg

They certainly look similar ( both front and rear )

Anyone considering this: It may also be helpful to know that the original Studebaker and later 8240's shocks are of a fairly large diameter. In order to get them installed through the opening in the front lower A-frame takes some work. I'm not familiar with the Camaro shock however.

A little more sleuthing yielded a 71 Camaro front as 8040-1017, rear as 8040-1018. Note the above parts list advisory on the pin removal for the rear mount
    Last edited by 64V-K7; 04-22-2017 at 06:44 AM.

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Silver Hawk Member
    Here is Nate Nagle's list of parts interchange. Scroll down to shocks and you will see a number of brands listed. You can probably just use an interchange list to find what you need. I've used th KYB's with good luck.

http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/interchange.pdf

Visit Bob's site to see the mods necessary on the Camaro shocks.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/

We need to keep thanking Bob and Nate (no longer posting here) for all the data they have assembled for us.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    As per post #2, the older Konis (82 series) are NOT gas filled, but conventional hydraulic fluid. However, they are fully adjustable so as to suit your own driving styles. and expectations.
    Seeing as the originals are so difficult to obtain, I think the Camaro/Trans/Am ones with slight modifications is the way to go.
    Bill

President Member
    If enough people are interested. I can get koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64Avanti View Post
    If enough people are interested. I can get Koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.
    I'll take two sets.

(Of course, next will be some wanting with the early lower mounting and some wanting the later.)

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    If enough people are interested. I can get koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.
    I'll take all four for a '64 Avanti

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    As per post #2, the older Konis (82 series) are NOT gas filled, but conventional hydraulic fluid. However, they are fully adjustable so as to suit your own driving styles. and expectations.
    Seeing as the originals are so difficult to obtain, I think the Camaro/Trans/Am ones with slight modifications is the way to go.
    Bill
    I'm interested..........any idea as to what a four shock set will cost?

I'd buy a set if they were available. Might want to post this on the AOAI forum as well.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Commander Member

Possible Purchase of Koni Adjustable Shocks to fit 63 Avanti

Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    I'd buy a set if they were available. Might want to post this on the AOAI forum as well.
    I have an old set of Konis on my 63 Avanti. When I installed them several years ago, it made quite an improvement in the ride and also cured my car's tendency to dive under strong braking.

Count me in for a set of 4 new Konis to fit the front and rear of my 63 Avanti. I'm assuming the price to be between $100 and $150 per shock, not including shipping. Would that be about right?

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
    between $100 and $150 per shock, not including shipping. Would that be about right?
    That's what they cost in the 90's

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    I will try to have an approximate price by Tuesday of next week. I have an appointment with them on Monday about something else.
    David L

Commander Member
    I will try to have an approximate price by Tuesday of next week. I have an appointment with them on Monday about something else.
    David,

Thanks for your efforts on this with the Koni people. I had no idea this was a possible approach due to the low production numbers of the Avanti. That's why I searched pretty hard several years ago and purchased a set of used Konis for my 63 Avanti. Although I am pretty happy with the performance of the 50 plus year old Konis, I am ready to upgrade with a new set of Konis if that works out.

Steve

Speedster Member
    I just replaced my shocks last year, however looking forward would it make sense to purchase a set now for future use or just wait until I actually need them? In other words, how long would these last before installing them?
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

President Member
    Mine (82 Series) have been on the shelf for approximately 40 years now. Some are being pressed into service this year on my Packard Clipper Wagon and '83 Avanti (possibly '59 Lark too). There should be no issues whatsoever as long as they are stored in a reasonable environment-not continuous 130 degree Arizona summers and a reasonable low humidity.
    Bill

President Member
    I did meet with Koni about the shocks and I am waiting for an answer. They are looking for the original drawings right now.

Commander Member

Koni Shocks for old Studes

I did meet with Koni about the shocks and I am waiting for an answer. They are looking for the original drawings right now.
    64Avanti,

That is great news! Please keep us up to date. I am in for an order of 4 Konis, if you can pull this together for anything approaching a reasonable price. Thanks for all of your efforts!!

Steve