61 lark engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 lark engine swap

Swapping out my 259 for a SBC, can anyone tell me what motor mounts I need to get or where to get them. Or if a specific year and model will work. The engine I'm installing is a 1969 350 block with a turbo 350 trans. If someone has done this any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Most small blocks use the Chev. Engine Mounts (Stude. #1564698) that fit the '65-'66 Stude. Engine Mount BRACKETS 1563714-5 for the GM 283.

You can unbolt your Stude. Engine Mount Brackets and replace with '65-'66 Type and the front will be done, you just need to make and install a crossmember for the Tail of your GM Transmission.

Not sure what year GM stopped using the one size fits all, side mounts.
    Maybe some Chev. experienced people here would know.

Studebaker Parts are here: http://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any place you can suggest to pick them up? Just did a Google search and didn't really show much other than this post lol.

Comment

Originally posted by todd_wilkins View Post
        Any place you can suggest to pick them up? Just did a Google search and didn't really show much other than this post lol.
        http://studebakervendors.com
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Todd,
          Here's my 9 year old (!) thread on putting a SBC and TH350 in my 63 Lark. I'm not sure if you'll run into different "opportunities" with a 61...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=dick+lark

It doesn't cover all the problem areas and beats to death one of the biggest ones of solving the left side exhaust.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
            ... and beats to death one of the biggest ones of solving the left side exhaust.
            Never read that thread before. Great discussion even if it was , "Exhausting"

My '64 Daytona had a McKinnon transplant sometime in its life. Swapping to an '85 350 I used the original exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe, but where the two pipes merged I adapted to a 2-3/4" single exhaust I pulled out of a Suburban. I cut back the merge point to minimize the necking down into the 2-3/4" pipe. It fits rather well through the exhaust loops in the batwing too. The Ram Horns are some of the better flowing factory manifolds and can be had aftermarket in 2-1/2" outlets. Not sure how 2-1/2" pipe clears steering though. I also saw where circle track racers tested all the factory manifolds and they also found that a large single exhaust made more power. So, Ram Horns and a large single exhaust seem rather appropriate.

The 350 trans seems to fit well and from what I saw other than lengthening the trans mount doesn't require any additional changes. With a 700R4 you have to deeply notch the batwing. If it interests you you might consider finding a driveshaft that bolts in. My '64 Daytona is a 4 door with the mentioned 700R4. I found a proper length shaft (with yoke) in a late 70's Buick Skylark (4 dr.) that just slid right in. Be aware that Studebaker uses a "broke back" driveshaft configuration that can leave the uninformed (like me) scratching their heads to grasp the angles. All the best. In general a relatively straight forward swap. Oh, and don't forget where reverse WILL be after the swap.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by wittsend; 04-18-2017, 09:08 AM.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
            X