61 Champ V8 259/ hasn't run in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    Is the oil pump designed to pump in either direction or does it have to be turned counterclockwise to build pressure ?
    It has to be turned counterclockwise as well
    Lee
    1959 Lark VIII

Comment

Kammy, if you don't have a shop manual at this time, Call Studebaker International at 317-462-3124 and order one. It will help you so much to have one. I have them on speed dial, LOL. http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
      Jim Kaufman
      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
      1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Originally posted by Never Enough Studebakers View Post
        Kammy, if you don't have a shop manual at this time, Call Studebaker International at 317-462-3124 and order one. It will help you so much to have one. I have them on speed dial, LOL. http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
        Jim, thank you I will look them up! 👍đŸģI do have a thick parts book that came with the old truck- and it has helped me identify some of these parts.

Comment

Is this the one that was for sale in your area a few weeks ago. One of the California State Studebaker Champs. Hope you have better luck than I did trying to free up the stuck engine. I soaked mine 8 month a with a mixture of acetone and atf. Ended up tearing it down. Had to drive the pistons out. Had to replace the pistons and rings.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
            Is this the one that was for sale in your area a few weeks ago. One of the California State Studebaker Champs. Hope you have better luck than I did trying to free up the stuck engine. I soaked mine 8 month a with a mixture of acetone and atf. Ended up tearing it down. Had to drive the pistons out. Had to replace the pistons and rings.
            DieselJim, it certainly could be? Did you know anything about this truck? I would love to find out more about it- I hope I have luck too in freeing it up- was yours sitting along time too? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Kammy, use the KISS principle,TW Champ is on the good money with bumping the starter.if that doesnt work pull starter and pry on flywheel teeth with long pry bar or crow bar (Rooster Bar). on carb, main jets need special tool to remove, available from Speedway Motors. When you get round to brakes use the green coated line from FLAPS it will bend much easier. Keep asking questions we are here to help!!! Luck Doofus

Comment

Sounds to me like this unit was in a good state of tune when it was parked. Since this is one of the very best V8's ever made I'm confident it'll start up with a little TLC. Once she's running it's imperative that you completely flush the cooling system including the two rear drain plugs on either side of the block. You'll notice that this engine sits at an angle: lower in the rear. All the crud and debris builds up in this area and although the owner's service manual scheduled this drain yearly most chose to ignore it or did it but missed the two rear plugs or never bothered to read the manual in the first place. Don't overlook it as overheating will be the damaging end result. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                  Kammy, use the KISS principle,TW Champ is on the good money with bumping the starter.if that doesnt work pull starter and pry on flywheel teeth with long pry bar or crow bar (Rooster Bar). on carb, main jets need special tool to remove, available from Speedway Motors. When you get round to brakes use the green coated line from FLAPS it will bend much easier. Keep asking questions we are here to help!!! Luck Doofus
                  I will definitely try that- since I pulled the radiator and front grill I did remove the fan and belts- I should put all that back on before I try to tap the starter correct? I will also look into that special tool for the jets too! Thank you for the help I so appreciate it. Happy Easter!

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
                    Sounds to me like this unit was in a good state of tune when it was parked. Since this is one of the very best V8's ever made I'm confident it'll start up with a little TLC. Once she's running it's imperative that you completely flush the cooling system including the two rear drain plugs on either side of the block. You'll notice that this engine sits at an angle: lower in the rear. All the crud and debris builds up in this area and although the owner's service manual scheduled this drain yearly most chose to ignore it or did it but missed the two rear plugs or never bothered to read the manual in the first place. Don't overlook it as overheating will be the damaging end result. Best of luck!
                    TJ, it's seems to have been put to rest in storage with thought in mind- I'm still trying to be very cautious not to harm anything I'm taking my time like others have suggested and wanting it to be correct. I will be sure to flush the cooling system out, of course I have to get back under that truck to find those drain plugs! 🙂 Thank you for your reply and help too! Happy Easter!

Comment

No need to reinstall any belts or radiator, just keep tapping the starter from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammy View Post
                        DieselJim, it certainly could be? Did you know anything about this truck? I would love to find out more about it- I hope I have luck too in freeing it up- was yours sitting along time too? Thanks for the reply.
                        I don't know the history of your truck. What color is the fire wall? I don't know how long mine set. I tried the bolt, starter, and bar on the starter ring gear. Nothing worked. Be careful trying to turn with a bar on the starter ring gear. To much pressure can shear off a tooth. I can assist in a engine rebuild if necessary. I will be around the National Meet. Would like to meet you. Cell five74-8 five o- 101 three. Jim

Comment

TW Champ- but I have the belt off the starter motor and fan shroud removed- shouldn't there be a belt on the lower crank shaft pulley?

Comment

Diesel Jim, firewall is a dark brown color. I've not tried to turn anything yet- Ive put marvel oil in plug holes, removed front grill and radiator so I could get to the crank bolt- I don't have a socket to fit that bolt so- I think I'm going to try what TWChamp suggest and tap the starter- I have a new battery- I did change one of the battery cables and I noticed the cable was grounded to the block. ? I do have a long bar I will try that too- sorry yours wasn't a easy fix. As much as I'm looking forward in getting this truck started I'm not in a hurry and want to do all I can not to break something. Thanks for your cell- where is the National meet? Sounds fun! Thanks for the reply and help too! Happy Easter

Comment

Originally posted by Kammy View Post
                              TW Champ- but I have the belt off the starter motor and fan shroud removed- shouldn't there be a belt on the lower crank shaft pulley?
                              I think you mean you have the belt off of the Generator not the starter.

No the Fan and Generator belts do not have to go back on to turn the engine.

The Battery Ground cable can ground anywhere that is metal on the Engine, Stude. engines ground to the Water Manifold, but could go to a Starter mounting bolt if you want.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

National Meet is in South Bend, May 10 to 13, car and truck show on the 13.http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rnational-Meet

Comment

Working...
                                X