No announcement yet.

61 Champ V8 259/ hasn't run in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I read that you have alread pulled the valve covers. Since you have you can check for a stuck valve by using a prybar with a bent foot and doing some gentle prying to see if the valves drop down a little bit by prying against the valve springs. Do not pry so hard that you bend something or unseat the pushrods.
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Kammie use a brass drift and hammer, tap on the rocker arm directly above the valve stem to bump the valve. if valve wont budge chances are it's stuck in the guide.this usually happens on open exhaust valves. if all valves are free and engine still wont turn over you have stuck rings. some times you can leave a vehicle in gear and rock it back and forth. if pouring something in cylinders to free up everything remember you have to coat the whole cyl diameter not just the bottom 1/3. try taping a peice of small ID hose to your spray can and angling toward the upper side of the cyl. keep at it, it will give up sooner or later. Luck Doofus

Comment

If you put the car in gear and rock it, be sure to pull the overdrive handle out and put the car in high gear.
        Of course if you have an automatic, then it can't be rocked.

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
          I think I read that you have alread pulled the valve covers. Since you have you can check for a stuck valve by using a prybar with a bent foot and doing some gentle prying to see if the valves drop down a little bit by prying against the valve springs. Do not pry so hard that you bend something or unseat the pushrods.
          Thank you Studebakerkid! That's exactly what I did however I put a little block of wood in there to give me a little leverage and so ever gently pryed was able to press the valves in. Only 2 were a little stickier than the others . I know I have a long ways to go but so ever happy! Thank you for your and put and replying to me.

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            Kammie use a brass drift and hammer, tap on the rocker arm directly above the valve stem to bump the valve. if valve wont budge chances are it's stuck in the guide.this usually happens on open exhaust valves. if all valves are free and engine still wont turn over you have stuck rings. some times you can leave a vehicle in gear and rock it back and forth. if pouring something in cylinders to free up everything remember you have to coat the whole cyl diameter not just the bottom 1/3. try taping a peice of small ID hose to your spray can and angling toward the upper side of the cyl. keep at it, it will give up sooner or later. Luck Doofus
            It's funny that you would say use a brass drift I actually had one of my dads and a brass mallet and I did tap all of those areas that you suggested And I actually felt like the spring had a little more give to it and then I used a prybar as studebakerkid and a few others advised a prybar. I used one with a piece of wood for leverage and was able to move every valve A couple a bit sticky but all in the same they did move down. thank you so much for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              If you put the car in gear and rock it, be sure to pull the overdrive handle out and put the car in high gear.
              Of course if you have an automatic, then it can't be rocked.
              TWChamp, I also though of that a couple of days ago however being an automatic I didn't know if it would work the same if I were to drop it into drive I did try that and of course it didn't work, then Reading a few other replies from other Studebaker guys suggested a prybar and also tapping on those rocker arms and low in be hold they're all moving so I have no stuck valves ! I am just so excited I know I still have a long way to go but I am happy that I have no stuck valve's now to move forward. Thank you for helping me again!

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                I would use an aluminum bar or piece of hardwood and a hammer to see if you can tap down on the rocker and make the valve move down and spring back.
                Yes, 8 valves per side.
                I just did that and it worked! I'm so excited! No stuck valves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammy View Post
                  TWChamp, I was at the wrong side....push rods is what I was able to move. I am in Valparaiso IN. No Studebaker mechanics that I know of --
                  Thanks for your reply.
                  I rebuild Studebaker engines, but I'm in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                    I rebuild Studebaker engines, but I'm in South Bend.
                    DieselJim, Do you make house calls? 🤕I'm going to keep at it, today I was able to move the valves..... I'm not wanting to get under the truck and do the flywheel thing.... sure wish someone lived closer to do that part..... the more I read I'm thinking if I get it unstuck sounds like there are still things that might need to be fixed. Wonder just how many stuck engines actually are running fine without being rebuilt.
                    May I ask what you get to rebuild a Engine?
                    Maybe I can call and talk with you? Let me know thank you much.

Comment

Really don't make house calls that far. I have a rebuilt 289 engine on the swap page for $2850.00. You can call me.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                        Really don't make house calls that far. I have a rebuilt 289 engine on the swap page for $2850.00. You can call me.
                        Haha okay! I don't blame you- It is a bit of a drive. I really don't want to change engines- if this one doesn't work out ---I might consider having it rebuilt- thanks anyway 😊

Comment

The price for a "rebuilt" 289 in #70 looks too good to pass up (if you got the dough, re, me...). I don't know diesel Jim, but likely if he's offering here..... to us... might be your quick route. However...you have many other systems that will need attention. Realistically, you should be thinking getting out cheaply for a driving truck like yours....somewhere in the $3-5K range. That's a quick run through the numbers (up/down a bit). To your point (I thought I'd made it above), its very unlikely the present engine in your truck will provide more than "adequate" service. But for tax purposes, and just driving around town....once loosened up, you might get lucky. You need to plan ahead for other systems. Ask here.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            The price for a "rebuilt" 289 in #70 looks too good to pass up (if you got the dough, re, me...). I don't know diesel Jim, but likely if he's offering here..... to us... might be your quick route. However...you have many other systems that will need attention. Realistically, you should be thinking getting out cheaply for a driving truck like yours....somewhere in the $3-5K range. That's a quick run through the numbers (up/down a bit). To your point (I thought I'd made it above), its very unlikely the present engine in your truck will provide more than "adequate" service. But for tax purposes, and just driving around town....once loosened up, you might get lucky. You need to plan ahead for other systems. Ask here.
                            Jack b, thanks for the reply, I have no doubt the rebuilt engine is a good deal- I'm in no hurry to jump at replacing the engine and wanting to hurry up to get in and drive down town. I knew what I might be getting into when I decided to buy the truck, knowing it was possibly froze-stuck- seized. To what extent I do not know yet- this has been fun for me this far- I'm taking it slow, asking questions, lots of very kind people on this forum helping me as I go. I understand that there is going to be a lot more to just getting this truck running. I plan on taking my time. If it should free up and take me to the next step then that's where I will go. Did I mention I'm in no hurry? 😉

Comment

Excellent position to take up front. We see many "project" vehicles due to "barn find burnout". Somehow the "resurrection" trumps reality and patience. You obviously possess the latter. I'm sure I can speak for all (most) here who enjoy helping someone who asks....continued GL !

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                                Excellent position to take up front. We see many "project" vehicles due to "barn find burnout". Somehow the "resurrection" trumps reality and patience. You obviously possess the latter. I'm sure I can speak for all (most) here who enjoy helping someone who asks....continued GL !
                                Thanks Jack! Have a nice weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X