This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership meeting on Thursday night

As I read the Presidents message in the current Turning Wheels something struck me as not being right about the Thursday night events. I did not sign up for the buffet and was excepting to be able to go to the membership meeting and auction after the meal was served. According to the Presidents message a member had to pay the $25.00 for the meal to get into the room. I want to be as positive as I can about this but I do have the following questions. To be able to attend the membership meeting it will cost a member $25.00 to do so? Also to attend the auction and potentially donate money to the SDC a member would have to pay the same $25.00?

So for this year to attend the membership meeting it will not be free to a member as it has always been?
    I understand limiting the number of people that can occupy a given room and that limit is beyond SDC's control.

I feel comfortable to say that I am probably not the only member that was planning to attend the membership meeting and not eat the buffet.
    What are SDC's plans to handle this situation? Will there be an overflow area available? Will the meeting and auction be broadcast into this room and will members in the overflow room be able to take part in the events?
    Will someone be at the doors and as members leave after the meal? Will others be allowed to come in?
    I know the meet is coming up fast but I would hope someone on the committee would address these issues and find a solution.

Looking forward to hearing from the committee on this subject.
    Last edited by Gary1953; 04-13-2017, 06:45 PM.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
    As I read the Presidents message in the current Turning Wheels something struck me as not being right about the Thursday night events. I did not sign up for the buffet and was excepting to be able to go to the membership meeting and auction after the meal was served. According to the Presidents message a member had to pay the $25.00 for the meal to get into the room. I want to be as positive as I can about this but I do have the following questions. To be able to attend the membership meeting it will cost a member $25.00 to do so? Also to attend the auction and potentially donate money to the SDC a member would have to pay the same $25.00?

So for this year to attend the membership meeting it will not be free to a member as it has always been?
    I understand limiting the number of people that can occupy a given room and that limit is beyond SDC's control.

I feel comfortable to say that I am probably not the only member that was planning to attend the membership meeting and not eat the buffet.
    What are SDC's plans to handle this situation? Will there be an overflow area available? Will the meeting and auction be broadcast into this room and will members in the overflow room be able to take part in the events?
    Will someone be at the doors and as members leave after the meal? Will others be allowed to come in?
    I know the meet is coming up fast but I would hope someone on the committee would address these issues and find a solution.

Looking forward to hearing from the committee on this subject.
    Gary,

First of all, I'm pleased that so many of you read the Forum and ask questions. Your statement that " something struck me as not being right about the Thursday night events." is a statement worth looking at.

If you've been following my posts on the 53rd Annual StudebakerDrivers Club International Meet Forum pages, you will see that I have been asking registrants since January to be sure to get their registration in so that they would not miss any event that they were interested in. Obviously, most of you have taken that admonishment to heart and reserved for the events in time be able to attend them.

Historically,the General Business Meeting at any International Meet is a lightly attended event. Approximately 100 attendees is the usual count for this function, a very small portion of those registered for the meet. We wanted to enhance the value of this evening by making it an experience. As Members Night, it includes a performance of the Studebaker Band, followed by the General Membership Meeting, and then by the Studebaker Auction.

Could we have held this event at Century Center, as had been done in the past? Absolutely, with the resultant one-night fee approaching $10-12,000 fee before the purchase of food. We are trying to give the Registrants value for their money, and something to remember on Thursday night, and for that reason, the Palais Royale was chosen.

Will we have an overflow area to accommodate the folks who did not reserve early? Honestly, that is not an option due to cost. Crowd control at the doors? Absolutely. Entrance to the All-You-Can_Eat Buffet will be controlled by an Tyvek band that must be worn for entrance into the area. Crowd control was never a thought until we were surprised by the amount of registrants who chose this as their option for Thursday night.

Will it cost $25 to attend the performance of the Studebaker Band, the General Membership Meeting, and the Studebaker Auction. No, as these are non-cost items. Where we ARE limited is by the City of South Bend and their requirement that no more than 500 persons may attend any event at this facility, including serving personnel. That is why attendance was limited to 500 persons. Will everyone stay for every event? I suspect not, but there is certainly a group of guests worth hearing at the General Membership Meeting that night.

It is possible you may be able to attend the General Membership Meeting on Thursday night? Maybe, but we are under a strict limit of 500 persons in the building. There is NO COST for the evening unless you have chosen the All-You-Can_EatBuffet for $25.

South Bend IS a special place in the hearts and minds of Studebaker folks. For the first time, we are participating in First Friday in downtown South Bend Friday night May 5 (https://downtownsouthbend.com/downto...-first-fridays). With a parade of Studebakers forming at the St Joseph County Fairgrounds at 3:00 PM, traveling to downtown, a chance to buy a special piece of Studebaker logo chocolate (yum!) designed especially for First Friday, a restaurant walk of cafes and restaurants serving Studebaker-themed meals, a chance to win a Studebaker to take home with you, and a chance to talk with all the folks whose parents and grandparents designed and built your Studebaker, where else would you want to be on Friday evening May 5?

I hope I've answered some of your concerns about the meet. We're sorry you did not register soon enough to get a chance to attend the buffet. There certainly is a lot to do the week of the meet, and we hope that as people begin to leave South Bend following the meet, they acknowledge they've had a wonderful time.

Denny Foust for the SDC International Meet Committee
    814-441-4799

studeguy54@verizon.net
    Last edited by studeguy54; 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I did register in plenty of time to go to the buffet. I chose not to go to the buffet. I did choose to go to the membership meeting and auction since that has always been free in the past and open to anyone that walks in.

I fully understand that a city or county can and does limit the number of people that can occupy a given room under their jurisdiction. I don't have an issue with that an I know SDC has no control on this matter as I stated above.

My issue is apparently SDC did not contemplate members that would want to attend the band concert, membership meeting and auction and not want to buy the buffet.
      Last edited by Gary1953; 04-14-2017, 06:15 PM.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

Hi Gary.

First off, we value your input. We actually did think about this, and your observation was what we were trying to avoid. We got the biggest room with the most wonderful atmosphere that we could find that wasn't 10 thousand dollars. No one ever imagined that 500 people would register and the room would sell out in 60 days. You have been at many meetings and the most we have had was 100 or so. Using the proportionally larger South Bend meet plan, a venue of 500 was more than enough.

You remember me saying at the Membership Meeting last year that we are trying new and different things. Some will work, some won't. When it's over, we will evaluate what we have done, and determine what worked and what didn't. It will take a bit for the new format to get to a comfortable level for all. We also have to remember that these Meets can no longer lose money like they have in the past. We will discuss this particular issue in the upcoming week.

Finally, if you have concerns, contact your Zone Director, Duane. You have representation on the Board and you are a regular contributor in meetings. Your input is always valued.

Comment

My wife and I are also in the same boat with Gary. We registered in time to sign up for the buffet, however we chose not to do it, and then attend the meeting afterwords. When the meal is finished, is it expected that "many" people will leave and not attend the meeting? If that is the case, how will those of us wanting to attend the meeting that did not eat be able to get inside? Might the committee set up a place for us non eaters to gather and then be allowed entrance to the meeting? Understanding the committee's dilemma maybe we came come up with a solution to the challenge, thanks for the great job you folks do! Bill

Comment

Thank you Bob for your comments.
            As Bill says above the solution to the issue for this year should be to keep track of member leaving. As members leave other should be allowed to enter.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
              My wife and I are also in the same boat with Gary. We registered in time to sign up for the buffet, however we chose not to do it, and then attend the meeting afterwords. When the meal is finished, is it expected that "many" people will leave and not attend the meeting? If that is the case, how will those of us wanting to attend the meeting that did not eat be able to get inside? Might the committee set up a place for us non eaters to gather and then be allowed entrance to the meeting? Understanding the committee's dilemma maybe we came come up with a solution to the challenge, thanks for the great job you folks do! Bill
              Thanks Bill. Look me up at the Fairgrounds, except Wednesday morning when I have to be somewhere else. Go to the registration desk there and have Karen Dyer page me. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll hunt you down most likely Wednesday afternoon. I can recognize you when I see you so paging you will be the last resort. Hope this doesn't make you uneasy. LOL Bill

Comment

Working...
                X