Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wait List" for Bldg 84 Tour and Test Track?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wait List" for Bldg 84 Tour and Test Track?

Just registered for the AOAI and SDC meet. The two events I most wanted to attend (Bldg 84 Tour and Test Track) are sold out. Is there a "wait list" for these events in case someone cancels?

I was told no by Cornerstone. I am bummed because they were the two events I wanted to attend.

Comment

How can the Test Track be "sold out"? It's a 3 (or 4?) mile track. Hard to imagine there not being enough pavement for everyone that wants to make a few laps. Is it a liability thing?

I think there's a few other events that are "sold out". There's a lot of people that will be spending a lot of money to attend this meet that won't be able to take part in a big chunk of it. A South Bend national meet is as cool as it gets for a Stude guy. Since the meet organizers did such a great job in getting such a high number of attendees, why didn't they plan for the "only-in-South-Bend" events to be able to cater to such a big crowd?

Unless I'm misunderstanding it all?
      Last edited by mbstude; 04-08-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

In this day and age, it's all about 'crowd control'!

Comment

Jim, both the test Track and the Bldg 84 tour are controlled by the owners of the properties and not by the meet committee. The Test track has recently changed hands (again) and the owners have limited the number of vehicles that can be taken to the track and that took a lot of negotiation by the meet committee to even get on the track. The Bldg 84 tour is also limited by the building owner due to construction and his capacity to handle the crowd. The bottom line is simple we have to comply with the wishes of the owners of the facilities. Hopefully that will help explain why there was a limit on these tours.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks Don, that explains it. I didn't think about that perspective.

Comment

Indeed, Don is right. Certain of these events we have had very little control over in terms of permitted attendees. We hope that does not change your mind on coming to this epic event. "Into the Future" is the theme of the meet this year, and we believe the change prepares us for future meets. When you see the website is up or an advertisement for the International Meet appears in a future "Turning Wheels", be sure to Register for the meet.

Comment

Good day.

First off, I am sorry that some people were or are not able to go to the Building 84, and Test Track this year. I said last year at the Membership Meeting that these events were going to be limited, and please register early. You will understand even more when you see Building 84. You would not believe how Building 84 has changed. To springboard on Denny Foust's post, I also hope that you will not base two tours on whether you come to South Bend this year or not. There is plenty to do, starting with the fact that all the streets in South Bend are now two way streets and easier to navigate.

We have Building 84 for 5 hours, from 9-2. This is a priviledge to be in the building, and the owner is paying the elevator operators, and Maintenance people out of his own pocket. We have to move 75 people an hour just to accomodate the limit that was set. We are truly lucky and thankful that the owner is so gracious and engaged with Studebaker and the history of that building to do this for our Club.

As far as the Test Track, we can only move 14 cars at a time on the track. This is the number of cars that is deemed safe for the track due to many guidelines. We will have the track courtesy of the owner who is also footing the bill for all employees, and on a Saturday I'm sure there is overtime involved. You can do the math and see that this is a process that will take time.

When you register for the Meet downtown, if you are going on these tours, you will need to sign up for a time so that we can get everyone through. Building 84 tours are 25 people at a time because that is all the elevators can handle load wise.

Please note, if you are driving a pre-war vehicle and going on the track, we will take you at 7am South Bend time. This is because these vehicles go slower, and we again have to move a lot of vehicles through in the time alloted.

Again, I am sorry if anyone is disappointed by not being able to go on these tours.

Bob

Comment

I don't know how many of you have a similar situation as me. But, somehow, I have become the main "caregiver" for my 96 year old mother. When I say, "caregiver," I mean I am the one to see that the staff in her skilled care center provide the services they are being paid to do. I make almost daily visits, and call twice every day. My wife is a huge asset, but her health is more fragile than most people know.

Therefore, I live "day to day," and making plans, making reservations, and doing things I want to do, come second these days. I was able to break away to attend the York swap meet. I would love to make a day or two at South Bend. If I do, I will probably stay somewhere like I did last year down towards Plymouth. It was just a short drive to the fairgrounds.

My question is, what will a "last minute" attendee need to do for registration? My main interest will be to attend the swap meet, fellowship with members there, and enjoy the Studebakers in attendance. I will gladly register, if for nothing else, but to contribute to the club's expenses. Do I need to register in advance, or will I be able to register at the fairgrounds?
                  Last edited by jclary; 04-09-2017, 12:57 PM.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Henning View Post

As far as the Test Track, we can only move 14 cars at a time on the track. This is the number of cars that is deemed safe for the track due to many guidelines.
                    Man! I'm really glad that I was able to make a few laps at the last two South Bend nationals. 100+ Studebakers going around all at once was pretty fun to be a part of.

Comment

hello all , Re the tour of building 84 ,i have signed up for the tour but have been unable to find out who is doing the time list , Cornerstone told me it has nothing to do with the tour and was unable to help ,has anyone got any imformation on how to go about it . I have contacted a few club members but no reply . cheers from roger
                      R.A.Jennings

Comment

Exactly! We did it in '07 and hoped to do it again as this will probably be the last time I drive a Stude to SB. But hey, I snoozed and I loosed!

Comment

Originally posted by studevic View Post
                          hello all , Re the tour of building 84 ,i have signed up for the tour but have been unable to find out who is doing the time list , Cornerstone told me it has nothing to do with the tour and was unable to help ,has anyone got any imformation on how to go about it . I have contacted a few club members but no reply . cheers from roger
                          Cornerstone is correct. They don't have a lot to do with tours. There will be a place for sign ups right by the registration area.

Comment

Hey All -

I wasn't trying to start a firestorm with my original post. I accept that I made my decision later than I should have and I missed out on two popular events. All I was asking was whether a formal "wait list" existed. No disrespect meant for, or deserved by, the meet organizers, who have a thankless job.

I'll check the bulletin board while I'm there in hopes that someone will have an unused spot at either event that I might be able to purchase.

Once again, thanks to the organizers, both SDC and AOAI for all their work to pull this together.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              I don't know how many of you have a similar situation as me. But, somehow, I have become the main "caregiver" for my 96 year old mother. When I say, "caregiver," I mean I am the one to see that the staff in her skilled care center provide the services they are being paid to do. I make almost daily visits, and call twice every day. My wife is a huge asset, but her health is more fragile than most people know.

Therefore, I live "day to day," and making plans, making reservations, and doing things I want to do, come second these days. I was able to break away to attend the York swap meet. I would love to make a day or two at South Bend. If I do, I will probably stay somewhere like I did last year down towards Plymouth. It was just a short drive to the fairgrounds.

My question is, what will a "last minute" attendee need to do for registration? My main interest will be to attend the swap meet, fellowship with members there, and enjoy the Studebakers in attendance. I will gladly register, if for nothing else, but to contribute to the club's expenses. Do I need to register in advance, or will I be able to register at the fairgrounds?

Hi John. First off, having done a small bit of this last year for my Mom, you have my complete understanding. I don't know where they get the people that work in the skilled care centers but I am glad they have them. Come to South Bend, you will need to register either on-line, or in person at the Cornerstone desk at the host hotel. The only thing that will be limited are the tours, and the Membership Meeting which are sold out. Other wise, enjoy the Swap Meet, we are 2 buildings full, and all the other benchmarks of our event. Please bring nice weather, and travel safe.

Bob H.

Comment

Working...
                              X