Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Cruiser for sale (Oregon)

1966 Cruiser for sale (Oregon)

Here are some pictures and some description. The car does need paint and the original seats need upholstery, but the 1964 sedan seats in the car are in very good shape. PM me if interested. $4000 in southern Oregon. This is a California car. It had a collision many years ago with some damage to the cowl on the passenger side about 7 inches long and 3 - 4 inches wide. It was repaired with lead (it looks like) and is still bare. There is no rust on this car.
    Scott

· New brake flex hoses
    · Rebuilt transmission 2016 (Chuck Tubens' work)
    · Newer battery and belts
    · Refreshed gauges
    · Fixed gas gauge
    · New tires (2014 or 2015?)
    · Repainted grille
    · Rebuilt alternator
    · New rear brake cylinders
    · Rebuilt brake booster
    · Working AM radio (needs new speaker)
    · Runs well (GM 283 original engine)
    · New wipers
    · New front right wheel bearings
    · Original power steering equipment included
    · Working speedometer, cable freshly lubed
    · New choke pulloff (still needs slight adjustment)
    · Front disc brakes, dual master cylinder (not original). Stock master cylinder in trunk
    · NOS ignition lock cylinder and keys

DSCN0515.jpgDSCN0665.jpgDSCN0717.jpgFSCN0389.jpg
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I forgot to add it has a new muffler and shocks, too.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Nice car!
    What does, "original power steering equipment included" mean?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Nice car!
    What does, "original power steering equipment included" mean?
    Thanks
    It means that someone in the distant past removed it, but I have all the parts. The valve body is still attached to the frame. I just remembered, too that this car was originally air conditioned. The only thing left is the pulley on the front of the engine, with a little nick out of it. I have a nice stock AC dash unit, but it's in Minnesota. I'm not selling it, except maybe with the car.

Scott. Sorry you have to sell your car. How about pictures of the other side and of the engine compartment, please?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    Nice 66'! Always wanted to get a hold of one. I live just over the hill from you (Klamath Falls), tempting to take a look at it. Sounds like it would be drivable back to K. Falls.
    Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 04-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 61LaRk4dr View Post
    Nice 66'! Always wanted to get a hold of one. I live just over the hill from you (Klamath Falls), tempting to take a look at it. Sounds like it would be derivable back to K. Falls.
    It sure is. I've driven it to Portland from Medford and back. The car is at a friends in Grants Pass right now. He's got room and I don't.

I only have a partial of the other side and I'll see if I can find it on the computer . I might have a picture of the engine compartment. I can't just go outside and take a new picture because the car is 30 miles from where I live!
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Scott. Sorry you have to sell your car. How about pictures of the other side and of the engine compartment, please?

Here are some more. Some are REALLY old and were taken when I went and looked at the car to buy back in 2012. This engine shot is before I did a LOT of work. The brake booster is like new now and the master cylinder is not the same!! THIS IS NOT THE BATTERY IT HAS NOW!!
    Attachment 63345
    Attachment 63346
    Attachment 63347Attachment 63348

Attachment 63349 New rubber around the back-up lights. NOS chrome gas cap.

Attachment 63351Trunk floor intact and nice.

I'm not seeing some of the attachments. Here some others to try. Some show the old seats in the car (which I still have).
    013.jpg016.jpgDSCN0266.jpgDSCN0267.jpgDSCN0268.jpg

I thought I'd run this up the flagpole again.

Scott, would you show some good pictures of the right side A pillar damage, so folks can get an idea of the amount of repair required?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Scott, would you show some good pictures of the right side A pillar damage, so folks can get an idea of the amount of repair required?
    There is one picture, above that shows it, but it's not the best. I will try to get one on Tuesday when I'll be close to the car again. I don't see any damage to the pillar. That side is straight, but not quite as well aligned as the driver side, understandably.

Engine pictures too, please. Lots of folks here like engine pix.

It's not shiny, but I'm glad you reminded me.

Engine pictures too, please. Lots of folks here like engine pix.

Here are photos of the right side of the car and the area by the cowl. It looks like when the windshield was re-installed it was put in a little crooked, but it wouldn't hurt to put a new seal in there anyway and re-do it. The rust color on the repair is strictly a surface thing. I do not think the repair is even steel. There is no corrosion or flaking or bubbling at all.

IMG_0006.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

I could not get engine pictures because the hood refused to open, even though I pulled the release handle. I'll have to fix that. It's always taken a good tug, but never refused to open before. Now that I think of it, I bet I didn't tug hard enough.
    Last edited by Scott; 05-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.

As it turns out, there's nothing wrong with the hood release mechanism. I just didn't pull hard enough.

President Member
    If you haven't already, please share your car's information with me. I'm trying to keep a registry for 1966 Studebakers. VIN number, body number, line number, color code, etc, etc. Along with your name and the state your in (in this case I guess it's Oregon.....if you sell, please ask the new owner to send me an update. I'd be interested, but you're too far away & the wife says two '66's are enough......

So far I have 106 VIN numbers documented (not all are surviving located cars).
    thanks
    Mike Saltsgaver
    miso7@wabash.net

Hi Mike,
    I don't have all the information handy, but I can tell you the serial number is C533036. I believe the car came with A/C, automatic transmission, power steering, disc brakes (still has), AM radio. I'll have to look at body tags perhaps tomorrow. It is Yellowknife gold. My understanding is that the car spent most of its life in the Sacramento area, and may been sold there originally.

I'm planning a trip through the country in a couple of months. I wasn't planning on driving the Studebaker, though! Otherwise I'd deliver it to your door as you wife shows the same door to you on your way out.

Here are some engine shots taken today. I don't expect it'll matter to anyone, but here they are.
    IMG_0017.JPGIMG_0014 (1).JPG

President Member
    Scott, I do have your car in the registry, but I don't have the body #, line number, or build date, etc.

I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me have another AMC Matador coupe like I used to have.....no luck so far.....
    Mike Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sal View Post
    Scott, I do have your car in the registry, but I don't have the body #, line number, or build date, etc.

I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me have another AMC Matador coupe like I used to have.....no luck so far.....
    Mike Sal
    Dang it! I forgot to look at them yesterday. I'll be close to the car again today and will try to check. I'm pretty sure the tag(s) are on the firewall. I don't have the build sheet for the car and I don't know the build date.

President Member
    Scott, your car was built in very early December '65.
    Mike Sal

I got the numbers. The tags read V-Y9 and 5965.
    Thanks for the information, Mike!

Speedster Member
    Could this get driven to WI? Or would a trailer be a better idea? Man this what I'm looking for...

The answer is YES! This could be driven to Wisconsin. Mechanically there's no reason why it couldn't be. In the 90s I had a 64 Daytona sedan I drove from San Francisco to Minneapolis and back and to New Mexico and Texas and it was in similar conditon to this car, except this one has more components that have been rebuilt or replaced. I just found out it needs a new battery, but that's it.

I should mention that the car comes with 1964 seats (the blue ones in the pictures). I have the orignal seats - in fact the front seat is standing up in the corner of the room I'm sitting in, but the rear seat I put in the cab of the car, resting over the top of the front seat. You could drive it that way, but it would be nicer if it was taken back out and maybe shipped (or some other way to take it with you.) OR, the original seat could be re-installed and we take the 1964 seats out. The original front seat has worn down through the stuffing to the springs on the driver side, which is why I put the 1964 seats in!! So maybe a trailer would make more sense. It doesn't have air conditioning, but it did originally and I have a good original 1996 Studebaker under dash unit sitting at my parents' place an hour west of Minneapolis. You could pick it up on your way home (it would cost a bit extra - not sure how much, but over $100).
    Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Could this get driven to WI? Or would a trailer be a better idea? Man this what I'm looking for...

This could be just the ticket for your "family truckster," daan!

Next month I'm planning a road trip taking me through Minnesota and Wisconsin, but I don't have a truck I could tow the car with and I would rather not drive it 1800 miles even if it would make it. I've gotten used to my newer car for really long trips, plus the Studebaker can't hit 30 miles a gallon, sorry to say.

My car is still for sale. I do not want it to deteriorate by sitting and hope someone is interested.
    Studebaker enthusiasts know this is a very rare car. Not even 3000 1966 Cruisers with V8 were made. How many are left? A couple hundred or so? Maybe. The last year of a great American company with the latest engineering the company ever produced and NO ONE is interested????? That speaks volumes for how much members really value these cars and frankly I'm disappointed. I've had the car for sale for a few months and renewed this thread now and then. This car has had a lot done and is solid as a rock. We're not talking about a $10,000 Chevy basket case! This is only a few thousand or so. It's really not worth that even with all the work done?? It's not perfect, but for the price it doesn't have to be. It's a great driver with potential for more.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    My car is still for sale. I do not want it to deteriorate by sitting and hope someone is interested.
    Studebaker enthusiasts know this is a very rare car. Not even 3000 1966 Cruisers with V8 were made. How many are left? A couple hundred or so? Maybe. The last year of a great American company with the latest engineering the company ever produced and NO ONE is interested????? That speaks volumes for how much members really value these cars and frankly I'm disappointed. I've had the car for sale for a few months and renewed this thread now and then. This car has had a lot done and is solid as a rock. We're not talking about a $10,000 Chevy basket case! This is only a few thousand or so. It's really not worth that even with all the work done?? It's not perfect, but for the price it doesn't have to be. It's a great driver with potential for more.
    Generally speaking, '66 four doors aren't in high demand, and your car does need paint and interior.

But you're right.. You're not asking more than it's worth, and there's a lot to be said for any Stude that you can hop in, turn the key, and hit the road with.

I've bought and sold a lot of Studes (for myself and others) and I can only think of one instance where a car sold on the forum, and it was a full on project. You'd probably have much better luck with a well written ad on ebay. The pool of buyers on the forum isn't very big.

President Member
    As in most things....it's location, location, location. Being up in the corner of the country hurts your potential market. I think that car would sell quickly here in the mid-west, but when you factor in the cost to fetch it home from the PNW on top of the purchase price, it's just not worth it.
    Mike Sal

My car is still for sale. I'll consider $3500.

You might do better with an eBay auction and a reserve price. It's daunting writing up your first auction, but others have done it, so you should be able to do it. Then you can explain to me how to do it.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Scott,
    Have you put this on Craigslist? I have had great success selling cars on that site. You are also entitled to one free ad in Turning Wheels each year if you are a SDC member. You might throw it up on there as well.
    My brother is up here from California and I mentioned your car to him. He already has several projects but he will tell members and friends down in his part of the country when he returns. I think you have a buyer out there. They just don't know about it yet. Hang in there my friend.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Thanks, Eddie. It's been on Craigslist for more than a month. Maybe two, now. I want it to go someplace where it won't sit through a wet Oregon winter. It's as solid as they come.
    There's something about eBay that just turns me off as a seller. I don't know what it is. Probably the complexity of posting and the fee and the kinds of no-shows that bid on things and...you get the idea.

Golden Hawk Member
    For ebay, it's a $125 flat rate fee to sell a car, and then you're only charged if it sells.

Tell you what Scott. If you can supply a couple dozen GOOD pictures of the car (good angles, good background, good lighting, clean it up and make it as presentable as it can be), I'll write an ebay ad and list it for free. You just pay the ebay fee if it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    For ebay, it's a $125 flat rate fee to sell a car, and then you're only charged if it sells.

Tell you what Scott. If you can supply a couple dozen GOOD pictures of the car (good angles, good background, good lighting, clean it up and make it as presentable as it can be), I'll write an ebay ad and list it for free. You just pay the ebay fee if it sells.
    Now, that's a deal! Matt does a great ebay presentation.

Dave Lester

Thanks, Matt! The car is 30 miles away and I need to get a new battery for it, but if I can't sell it in the next few weeks I'll keep you in mind. I can't beat your deal, that's for sure. Of course if it goes on eBay I'd have to look at the price again after I clean the car again, etc.
    The only negatives about the car is that it could use a new wiring harness (though everything works with this one) and a new headliner wouldn't hurt. If you like shiny paint, that's another, but it looks pretty good as is.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    So, did it ever sell?