No announcement yet.

OD Trans stays in overdrive all the time the lever is pushed in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: OD Trans stays in overdrive all the time the lever is pushed in

I just took my 61 Champ for a test drive after replacing the 6 cyl. with a 259 V8 and my transmission is always in OD no matter what the speed unless I pull the handle out! This trans I have never used before. The one behind the 6 cyl. worked like it is supposed to do. I am assuming the governor contacts are shorted or the solenoid is stuck?
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

We just had a thread with the same symptoms. Possibilities include, but are not limited to:
    -Governor shorted
    -wire to the governor shorted to frame/body
    -bad overdrive relay, contacts stuck closed
    -solenoid stuck (least likely of all)

Here is the discussion

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Question...do you have reverse? All mine are older, and reverse gear is locked out in overdrive.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, the wire to the reverse Lockout switch is shorted to ground or the switch is stuck, reverse should never be locked out.
        I and many others, could NEVER deal with that because we ALWAYS leave then "IN" O.D. and Park in Reverse!

In MCCAB1's situation, it must always be freewheeling with the Handle "IN", not actually IN Overdrive, from what it sounds like, just a failed Solenoid or wrong wiring.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The wiring is right as I checked it and it is the same as it was with the other trans and it worked as it is supposed to. It does freewheel with the handle in. I will be doing more troubleshooting in the morning.
          1958 Transtar 3E6-122
          1958 Transtar 3E13-31
          1959 Transtar 4E7-122
          1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
          1960 Transtar 5E28-171
          1960 Lark Gasser
          1963 Daytona

Comment

How can it freewheel if it stays in overdrive all the time?

Comment

There might be confusion over the OP's statement "stays in overdrive." Could you expand on that please?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

What I meant was when you let off the throttle in gear it just freewheels. If I pull the OD handle out it slows down with compression. With the OD handle pushed in the trans is in OD all the time. From a dead stop to highway speeds.
                1958 Transtar 3E6-122
                1958 Transtar 3E13-31
                1959 Transtar 4E7-122
                1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
                1960 Transtar 5E28-171
                1960 Lark Gasser
                1963 Daytona

Comment

OK, do you mean the handle stays pushed in ALL the time, so the tranny can go into overdrive at speeds over 26 MPH?

Or, does the tranny actually stay engaged in overdrive ALL the time?

Have you had the car for some time, and this is a new problem, or is this your first overdrive?

Comment

What I think he might be saying is: the car freewheels all the time, at any speeds, with the OD handle pushed "IN" ? Yes ?? If it freewheels above 30 mph with no engine braking, your wiring or solenoid needs attention..

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      What I think he might be saying is: the car freewheels all the time, at any speeds, with the OD handle pushed "IN" ? Yes ?? If it freewheels above 30 mph with no engine braking, your wiring or solenoid needs attention..
                      OK, now it makes sense. So the handle is always in overdrive, but the tranny never is.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                        OK, do you mean the handle stays pushed in ALL the time, so the tranny can go into overdrive at speeds over 26 MPH?

Or, does the tranny actually stay engaged in overdrive ALL the time?

Have you had the car for some time, and this is a new problem, or is this your first overdrive?
                        I have had this pickup for a while now. This is a new problem after engine and tranny change. Yes, the tranny stays in OD all the time at any speed with no engine braking! This isn't my first OD transmission!
                        1958 Transtar 3E6-122
                        1958 Transtar 3E13-31
                        1959 Transtar 4E7-122
                        1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
                        1960 Transtar 5E28-171
                        1960 Lark Gasser
                        1963 Daytona

Comment

That is actually a common symptom. The first thing to check is the governor. Often, the seal leaks, the inside of the governor fills with oil and cruds up the points. So...
                          -check the governor points
                          -temporarily ground the wire to the governor
                          -check the fuse on the relay (unless this system is new enough to not have a relay. I do not know when it was eliminated)

It sounds like the transmission is not being told to engage. It should be told to engage around 22-26 MPH.

Comment

Comment: Whether or not the handle is pushed in, if the transmission is freewheeling, it, the transmission, is not in overdrive. When it is in overdrive, it is not freewheeling.

Comment

The terminology MCCAB1 is using is contradictory to terminology commonly used and that is causing confusion. This confusion is exacerbated by the inherent deficiencies and lag time of the written word.

My understanding of what MCCAB1 is saying (and I could be wrong) is that the transmission is not being electrically engaged into overdrive. That's why I said to check the governor.

Comment

Working...
                              X