Thread: AC problem G M

AC problem G M

My DD is a 97 chevy MC and at times the AC gets so cold it freezes the Evap core and I have to cut the AC off to let it defrost, I have worked on car AC systems for over 40 years and am aware of the CYCLE switch on the 134 system, The problem is I can't find the switch.

I visited the local U PULL to inspect the system with the engine out but that did not prove to help, I did a GOOGLE search and nothing on the 97 MC came up I went to the local Chevy dealer yesterday and the service manager and a Tech spent 20 min trying to locate it in the service procedure, NOT FOUND

HELP if anyone owned a 97 MC or Lumina and knows the answer PLEAS LET ME KNOW Thanks

Johnny

President Member
    Been retired from GM dealers for many, many years and was not a technician, but don't they still have an inline orfice tube.. That's what it sounds like..

Quote Originally Posted by benaslopoke View Post
    Been retired from GM dealers for many, many years and was not a technician, but don't they still have an inline orfice tube.. That's what it sounds like..

Still use the orfice tube but the problem I have IT'S TO COLD and ices up.

Thanks for the reply.

Johnny

I also tried Google and the only thing I found was for a 2001 and it says it's hidden by the air cleaner so you have to remove it to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 53commander View Post
    I also tried Google and the only thing I found was for a 2001 and it says it's hidden by the air cleaner so you have to remove it to get to it.

Been their done that.

Thanks

Johnny

I looked in All Data and it shows it in the high pressure line next to the accumulator. I would post a pic but it says I'm not allowed for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 53commander View Post
    I looked in All Data and it shows it in the high pressure line next to the accumulator. I would post a pic but it says I'm not allowed for some reason.

Replaced that but nothing changed.

Thanks, Johnny

Thought the charge may be low and went to a service center had the feron drawn out and replaced, the level was just where I put it when I replaced the comp many years ago, I need to take a trip soon and will just have to keep an eye on the vent temp and cut the comp off if it ices up, I don't know of anything else to try. Don't want to burn the comp out I would like to get a t least another 100,000 out of this car already has 185,ooo and still get 32 MPG would like to keep it a while longer.

Thanks for all the tips but I'm out of ideas.

Johnny