A Day Late, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Day Late, but....

...worth remembering nonetheless. ('Sorry I didn't see and post this yesterday. Thanks to all who served):

today-marks-the-firstever-national-vietnam-war-veterans-day-n2305939
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

News to me.

Comment

Thanks Bob. As usual the media was pretty quiet about this special day as it should never be forgotten. Thanks to all for serving!
      Bill

Comment

Thanks for the post; I did'nt know. Semper-Fi to all my fellow vets from all services.
        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Declaring a Vietnam Veteran’s Day is a well intended gesture, and I appreciate that. The fact that so many did not know, is a sure sign of how indifferent today’s political class, and media really are to us Veterans. Otherwise, it would have been “first run” and “front page,” in their reporting.

Sadly, the media has lost so much credibility, that fewer are subscribing. About a month ago, after over 50 years of a continuous subscription, I called my Newspaper & canceled. When asked why, I responded that they no longer had anything of value to justify the costs. That money could go a long way toward a new set of safe tires for my vehicles!

Lets say, the day you stepped off the airplane as you returned from Vietnam. You were young, vibrant, full of youth and strength. You notice a “Drop Dead Gorgeous,” young lady who could have offered a warm welcome home, but instead, avoids acknowledging your presence. Fifty years later, that same person, offering a wet kiss might not be so welcome.

Or, someone baked a welcome home cake...but waited a half century to serve it. For our group on the forum, what if you took your car to the National Meet, won a first place trophy, but told you had to wait a few decades for the presentation.

On my last visit to the VA clinic, my wife bought me a hat that has a “Vietnam Veteran” logo on it. Yesterday, I popped it onto my head as I headed out to run some errands. I didn’t give it much thought, and before I had rolled out of my driveway, I had forgotten about the logo on the hat.

It was not until I was paying a cashier checking out at a store, did I hear, “Thank you for your service!” “You get $5.00 off for your veteran’s discount.” I’ll take that over a piece of petrified cake, or wet kiss from an old woman!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just wonder how many Vietnam Vets were invited and present at the signing of the bill by Trump? The bill wasn't signed by Trump until the evening of the 28th. Nothing like waiting till the last minute and only making tweet about it.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              ...worth remembering nonetheless. ('Sorry I didn't see and post this yesterday. Thanks to all who served):

today-marks-the-firstever-national-vietnam-war-veterans-day-n2305939
              Nothing in our local paper, nothing in the local news. I certainly remember my return in December 1968 though, especially when I got stationed in the most hostile area in the country- San Francisco Bay Area. First time I ever got spit on when I was just walking on a public sidewalk.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                I just wonder how many Vietnam Vets were invited and present at the signing of the bill by Trump? The bill wasn't signed by Trump until the evening of the 28th. Nothing like waiting till the last minute and only making tweet about it.

John S.
                Snarky comment
                Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
                  Snarky comment
                  Stall: The man who signed the bill into law got 5 draft deferments during the Vietnam War.

John S.

Comment

Working...
                  X