Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42

Thread: Most Valuable Avanti!

  1. #1
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428

    Most Valuable Avanti!

    Only a couple more days to put your 'vote' in for the MOST VALUABLE STUDEBAKER AVANTI!!!...Stop by the 'AVANTI PUB' on the AOAI FORUM!!

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    14,294
    As Brent stated in the other post on this topic, the Avanti body mated back to the R5 Due Cento engine gets my vote. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Bonneville-Run

    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=cone

    Craig

  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,211
    I see that someone named 'StudeDave' from this Forum voted, but I don't know how you'd know that--
    he has not logged on since 2009....

    Anyone who knows me knows I'm not much of an 'Avanti guy',
    but I might have to agree with the man, as I have actually seen the car in person.
    It's gonna be one of the nicest ones out there.
    It's also (production) number one of course...
    Not to mention that I've wrenched on it a bit as well!!!

    Folks can follow along here~

    https://www.americascarmuseum.org/avanti-project/

    Just sayin'...

    Last edited by StudeDave57; 03-28-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added words of course
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

    3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

    past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

    past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

  4. #4
    President Member Lark Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN, USA.
    Posts
    1,402
    Dave, I note that, like myself, you are retired US Navy.
    Did you know that the collar flap on the whitehat uniform was the Navy's attempt to maintain the superhero uniform cape for comparable performing men?
    Unlike Superman, Batman and a number of other superhero uniforms, the cape was shortened for wearing on board ship as a practical measure.

    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

  5. #5
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark Parker View Post
    Dave, I note that, like myself, you are retired US Navy.
    Did you know that the collar flap on the whitehat uniform was the Navy's attempt to maintain the superhero uniform cape for comparable performing men?
    Unlike Superman, Batman and a number of other superhero uniforms, the cape was shortened for wearing on board ship as a practical measure.
    That's a RIOT!!....You made my day!!

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    As Brent stated in the other post on this topic, the Avanti body mated back to the R5 Due Cento engine gets my vote. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Bonneville-Run

    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=cone

    Craig
    OK Craig!, I've logged your vote for the 'Due Cento' Avanti on the 'PUB'!....Thanks!

  7. #7
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Would like to see a few more 'votes' for 'The Most Financially Valuable Studebaker Avanti'!

    Enter you're votes here, and I'll transfer them to the 'AVANTI PUB' on the AOAI Forum...or, better yet, JOIN the 'New' AOAI FORUM!!

  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member 8E45E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    , , Canada.
    Posts
    14,294
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    OK Craig!, I've logged your vote for the 'Due Cento' Avanti on the 'PUB'!....Thanks!
    You're AWESOME!!!

    Craig

  9. #9
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark Parker View Post
    Dave, I note that, like myself, you are retired US Navy.
    Did you know that the collar flap on the whitehat uniform was the Navy's attempt to maintain the superhero uniform cape for comparable performing men? Unlike Superman, Batman and a number of other superhero uniforms, the cape was shortened for wearing on board ship as a practical measure.
    DO tell-- "whitehat uniform".....? Wait, what?


    for the record- I do indeed know why our dress white and dress blue uniforms have/had a 'cape'.
    This is not it. Cool story though...


    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Enter you're votes here, and I'll transfer them to the 'AVANTI PUB' on the AOAI Forum...
    I did- sorta--- but it has yet to appear...



    StudeDave '57

  10. #10
    President Member Lark Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN, USA.
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeDave57 View Post

    for the record- I do indeed know why our dress white and dress blue uniforms have/had a 'cape'.
    This is not it. Cool story though...


    StudeDave '57
    Are you going have people believe that tale about 'tarred' pigtails? Not me, I'm sticking with my version right down to the "bitter end". It's somewhat entertaining and that's more important on the internet.

    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

  11. #11
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark Parker View Post
    Are you going have people believe that tale about 'tarred' pigtails? Not me, I'm sticking with my version right down to the "bitter end". It's somewhat entertaining and that's more important on the internet.
    Yes.
    I swore to secrecy of a bunch of stuff when I retired.
    Us being superheros was one of those things, no?
    I thought it was...?




    StudeDave '57

  12. #12
    Chief Cat Herder showbizkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA.
    Posts
    8,572
    Dale, it's good to see you. You never fail to make me smile, chuckle or outright guffaw (where allowed by law).

    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Still would like to see a few more 'votes' here!.......... (StudeDave57, your vote, (for 63R1001), has been recorded.)

  14. #14
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    237
    I'll vote for my own '63R 2658. I've already got too much $$ invested in it, so to me it's the most valuable Avanti. Just don't ask the Mrs.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

  15. #15
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by dleroux View Post
    I'll vote for my own '63R 2658. I've already got too much $$ invested in it, so to me it's the most valuable Avanti. Just don't ask the Mrs.
    Fair enough!...But how about picking a 'SECOND' choice from one of the twenty Studebaker Avantis listed in the 'PUB' section of the AOAI FORUM?....THANKS!!

  16. #16
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    I think I'll list the twenty Avanti 'nominees' on this forum too!

  17. #17
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    THE NOMINEES!!!!!!

    The Bill Burke Bonneville Avanti #90

    The HRM road test Avanti R3 63R1025

    The 'Due Cento' Avanti

    Joe Granatelli's 429 Cad powered Avanti

    Bonneville record Avanti #9

    The Ian Fleming black Avanti

    The first production Avanti 63R1001

    The Egbert Avanti R4130

    Any one of the nine factory production R3 Avantis

    Bonneville record Avanti #8

    Roger Ward Indy 500 Winner Avanti

    Sears-Allstate Cross Country Avanti

    I realize that there could be other candidates, but for now let's only consider the above twenty cars....and, to be fair, let's assume all twenty are in perfect (#1) condition!.....OPINIONS?????????

  18. #18
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Looking for a few more 'votes' here.....No need to be shy folks!

  19. #19
    President Member ddub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    1,835
    Looks like you already got 'em all.
    Don Wilson

    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA

  20. #20
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Come on you sleepyheads!....Choose one of the twenty!!

  21. #21
    Silver Hawk Member 53k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA.
    Posts
    5,713
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Come on you sleepyheads!....Choose one of the twenty!!
    Due Cento. Even though Greg and Richard are friends it is very unlikely that they will ever put the two pieces together.

    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

  22. #22
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Union, CT., USA.
    Posts
    4,190
    I'll go with Avanti # 9 that Andy drove.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

  23. #23
    President Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lafayette in
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by 63t-cab View Post
    I'll go with Avanti # 9 that Andy drove.
    Me too............if they went the fastest.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

  24. #24
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Great Falls VA
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by 53k View Post
    Due Cento. Even though Greg and Richard are friends it is very unlikely that they will ever put the two pieces together.
    The irresistible force meets the immovable object....
    Bob Johnstone

    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

  25. #25
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    OK 63t-cab, t walgamuth, & 64V-K7....Thanks!

  26. #26
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    'MOST VALUABLE HISTORIC STUDEBAKER AVANTI' thread will end today........................No more thoughts/opinions??????

  27. #27
    Silver Hawk Member bezhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    here, sometimes somewhere else
    Posts
    5,000
    I think the point is moot. The most valuable is what someone pays, not what you think it's worth. So far one has sold for $120,000 including auction fees. I know of another that sold for 89K without an engine. I know of another that went for 70k. well restored.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  28. #28
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    I think the point is moot. The most valuable is what someone pays, not what you think it's worth. So far one has sold for $120,000 including auction fees. I know of another that sold for 89K without an engine. I know of another that went for 70k. well restored.
    This is simply a fun, informal poll of what 'Stude Folks' think which of the twenty historic Studebaker Avantis I listed may bring the most $$$ if it were placed on the market today....Nothing more than that!

  29. #29
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,211
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    This is simply a fun, informal poll of what 'Stude Folks' think which of the twenty historic Studebaker Avantis I listed may bring the most $$$ if it were placed on the market today....Nothing more than that!
    This comment makes me wonder (even more then I did when it was asked in the first version of this thread) as to why the question was posted in this Forum instead of the more heavily viewed General Forum where StudeStuff usually gets posted...

    All the Avantis on the list are Studebaker Avantis, no?
    Weird.





    StudeDave '57

  30. #30
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    This comment makes me wonder (even more then I did when it was asked in the first version of this thread) as to why the question was posted in this Forum instead of the more heavily viewed General Forum where StudeStuff usually gets posted...

    All the Avantis on the list are Studebaker Avantis, no?
    Weird.





    StudeDave '57

    Gee Dave, I sure hope that your not losing any sleep over it!

  31. #31
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lake Forest, Ca, USA.
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    I think the point is moot. The most valuable is what someone pays, not what you think it's worth. So far one has sold for $120,000 including auction fees. I know of another that sold for 89K without an engine. I know of another that went for 70k. well restored.

    As a long term Avanti owner, I am curious as to what cars achieved the dollar amounts you are stating.

    Bob Caser
    mrbobinc

  32. #32
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Caser View Post
    As a long term Avanti owner, I am curious as to what cars achieved the dollar amounts you are stating.

    Bob Caser
    I'd also be interested in finding that out!

  33. #33
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Polls are closing soon folks!!!

  34. #34
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    AND THE RESULTS ARE IN FOR WHAT US 'STUDE FORUM FOLKS' CONSIDER THE MOST VALUABLE $$$$$ OF THE TWENTY HISTORIC STUDEBAKER AVANTIS!!!!

    Stop by 'THE AVANTI PUB' to see the results!!!

  35. #35
    President Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lafayette in
    Posts
    3,668
    Where to find it on the pub forum?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

  36. #36
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    Where to find it on the pub forum?
    Go to the AOAI Website...Then to the 'AVANTI FORUM'...The 'AVANTI PUB' is on that forum!

  37. #37
    President Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lafayette in
    Posts
    3,668
    Yeah, I was there. You probably don't realize how irritating you are being, enticing us to go to this place but not giving us enough information to actually find the results which since you posted it here you should post here.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

  38. #38
    President Member ddub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    1,835
    If you posted the link I would look. I am not motivated enough to find it myself.
    Don Wilson

    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA

  39. #39
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Prince Albert,Saskatchewan , Canada.
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    . You probably don't realize how irritating you are being,.
    It's one of two- he has no idea, or he knows exactly what he's doing and keeps on going because he enjoys it. It's a long-standing behavior of the OP here. Like StudeDave57, I too wonder why this isn't on the main Stude forum, as it is definitely Studebaker- related.
    Evan Davis
    Prairie Bulletin
    Saskatchewan Chapter
    Prince Albert, Sk
    http://www.saskstudebaker.ca/Studebaker.html

  40. #40
    Silver Hawk Member StudeDave57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NorthWest Washington State (Lynden, WA)
    Posts
    7,211
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Gee Dave, I sure hope that your not losing any sleep over it!
    You are not going to believe me when I say this, but there are way more important things going on in my life that are keeping me up at night.

    Your poll which has so much 'interest' on the AOAI Forum you're hunting for input here, that AOAI Forum no one has a link to, or these SDC Forums that I hardly visit anymore are pretty far down the list.

    It's true.






    StudeDave '57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •