Thread: Oregon House Bill 2877

President Member

Oregon House Bill 2877

When I logged on tonight this was a news item. The tag line was "The government is coming for your cars. This is not fake news." The article that follows it about a proposed tax on cars not registered as "Antique" cars. The article misused the word precedence by using the word president.

Here is the link:http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...cid=spartandhp

My daily driver just turned 20 years old and it has only 69,000 miles and is an orphan too(Oldsmobile 88). In Arizona, the fee is low for the value but if this does happen in Oregon I can imagine that our state will also want to increase revenue on older cars and collector cars.

Can any of our Oregon Forum members shed some light on this? I hope this is not too political and if it isn't, let's just keep it that way.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

MSN is usually fake news.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Fortunately, it is DOA.... for now. However, never underestimate the greed of Oregon's "leaders"...

http://koin.com/2017/02/10/speaker-k...x-plan-is-doa/

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    This bill never got past committee. Oregon legislators writ large found it to be a bad idea and killed it. I doubt it will return in any recognizable form. Especially here in Oregon where many people cherish and drive old vehicles. Including some of our legislators. I know of at least one who drives a Studebaker.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    I am glad to hear that the bill is gone. I do think anything that has to do with our passion for Studebakers as well as other old cars we should be aware of what may happen and do what we can to stop it.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

A problem with outrages such as this proposal is that the sponsors know it will go nowhere, so they'll often follow up with a "light" version of it and promote it as a compromise and get enough support it might go through. Eventually it gets up to where they originally wanted it all along. That's how rights get lost...slowly. By the time it's been recognized for what it is it's too late.

General Patton called this his "rock soup" method of getting what he wanted. He likened it to asking for some rocks to make soup, then would ask for some spices for flavor, then vegetables for some substance, etc. When higher ups wouldn't give him the resources he needed for an offensive against the Nazis, he would send units forward on "reconnaissance", and once contact was made he had to send reinforcements. Ultimately he received the support he needed to go on the attack in "self-defense". Politicians have learned this well, whether they know the origins of the tactic or not.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

I'm pretty sure SEMA got behind some kind of model bill three or four years ago for states to use to protect classic cars from municipalities bent on eliminating old cars from the landscape.

Do a little bit if net research and you might be able to dredge it up.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pile View Post
    MSN is usually fake news.
    If anyone posted a statement like that about FOX it would be jumped on as political and deleted by a moderator.

President Member
    If you go back to post one, the last part of the post asked if there were Oregon forum members that could shed light on this. The second post offered an opinion but did not address the question I asked. The third and forth post answered the question. The eight post ventured an opinion on the second post.

This is one of the reasons the forum can drive one to frustration. The reason that I brought this up was to get an answer, not to get an opinion about the source. As the Oregon members of the forum answered the question then fake news or not, it was validated as a possibility that could happen with repercussions in our hobby as well as me having a 20 year daily driver.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let's keep things on a friendly basis and just answer questions as they are asked.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ