1940 Commander - Rear wheels stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1940 Commander - Rear wheels stuck

I've recently rebuilt my wheel cylinders, prettied up the backing plates, and put new shoes on my not yet driving 1940 Commander.

After mounting the backing plates and placing the drums on the drums seem to turn reasonably well for not having adjusted the pads yet. However once I put my wheels on the drums the wheels are totally bound up and will not budge at all.

It got pretty late so I didn't investigate beyond removing a wheel, spinning the drum, and putting the wheel back and being disappointed again. I was curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue and has some ideas on what I should check the next time I get to work on the car.

The wheels (rollers) are a bit wider then what should be on the car but they do not appear to rub on anything like the wheel well or anything as far as I could tell.

Thanks in advance!

Christian

as I under stand your dilemma, the only difference in the spinning of the wheel/drums is weight and lugnuts ???

Comment

I noticed you said it was getting late. Sometimes when you go back fresh, tthe answer is apparent. I am guessing that there is contact with something you failed to notice between those rollers and the car, but there could also be a misalignment of some kind. Let us know what you find..........or just give up and I'll haul it off for you.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Just a thought, Bet car originally was 16" wheels, did you switch to 15"? If so, see if wheel is tightening against brake backing plate or even tire against springs. As you suggest, look today with fresh eyes. Try lug nuts only hand tight, see if turns, then tighten more and see if locks

Comment

After taking the wheels on and off a few times I believe we figured out what the issue was. The rollers that came on the car are a mismatched set of rims but all basically the same shape. The drums have some ridges on the outer circumference that stick up past the hub as shown in the first picture. These ridges were apparently getting depressed (probably onto the backing plate) when tightened down because the rims are pushing on them as you can see from the black line in the second picture.

I have a few un-restored era correct rims and the part of the rim that bolts on to the car is as big as the hub only which would prevent the same issue as shown in the third picture. It looks like I will be getting these rims fixed up sooner then I thought...

I now have to pull all of my drums to see how warped they are
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_201007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1713070Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_200957.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1713071Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_200948.jpg
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	1713072

Comment

I don't think it is likely you bent your drums. The dirty witness marks around the drum are even and it takes a lot of force to bend a drum in that direction. I bet the wheel would deform first. Does the brake drum turn now that the wheel is off? Are you sure you backed off the adjusters? What kind of puller did you use to remove the drums the first time? How did you center the brake shoes? What is the state of your parking brake system? Were the shoes new old stock? Bonded or riveted? When I picked up my Jeep the rear wheels were both locked up. Turned out the glue had failed and the brake shoe friction material had fallen off and wedged between the shoe and the drum. Fun times.

Comment

Working...
            X