63 Avanti Front Springs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 63 Avanti Front Springs Question

Installed new springs from Stude Intl. a couple years ago and thought my rake was ok, but after going to a couple of shows I recently found out my front is 2" too low. How could that be if I have new springs? Did they maybe send me the wrong springs? Too late to return now, but have to fix the problem.

Are the spacers there under the springs? Have any rubber body insulators compressed? What makes you think your car is actually 2" too low in the front? Is it body orientation or did you actually measure the distance of the frame from the ground? If you're comparing it to other Avantis, maybe they're sitting too high. If compared to an Avanti II a '63 will sit lower in the front.

Generally, the body rake is body oriented, not suspension oriented. The coils should not have compressed so soon but anything's possible. The cause may well be elsewhere.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Measured from bottom of bumper center lowest point to ground and is 16". Listed height should be 18". Rear bumper is just under 20" so this is close to the accurate height.

Comment

The height also depends on your tires. What are the numbers here? Although I think a rake like that would look pretty cool. Are the tires buried up inside the front fender well?
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

A good spring shop will add a couple hundred pounds of weight to the drivers seat when setting the suspension up.
          ('If' the car is mostly driven solo..)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

To:Jaybot,---Too bad You didn't take that same measurement a few days after springs were first installed. At least You'd have a comparison. Do the tires rub the fenders? If You feel the 'Avanti Rake' is too
            drastic, You could install the factory spacers that Gunslinger mentioned.

Comment

When my brother inherited my fathers Avanti back around 1967........he put in new HD springs...........he also had the presence of mind to order and install the factory one inch spacers in the front...........knowing how Avantis sag in the front.............the car sits beautiful...........about 12 yrs ago he replaced the rear springs via a spring shop that did HD over the road trucks.....Mack, KW, White, Peterbilt...........anyway the shop lost their shirts on the job.............first they ordered springs for a standard Lark...........to make a long story short..........after getting in HD six leaf jobs, the arc was n/g...................no rear rake............so they had to heat them up and then put in a special press...........those springs went in and out three times...............for 355.00........the car sits beautiful..................but I imagine that the shop owner never did another car again.

Comment

Working...
              X