Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 61 Hawk

Hello,
    I've nearly got my Hawk down to the bare bones, have some sheet metal work to be done in the trunk & a bit in the floors (usual places),
    my cars original exterior color was Ermine white, it looks like the engine bay, interior floors/fire wall etc. where all in a red oxide type primer,
    it looks like the original coating, but not totally sure. I've seen some engine bay's done in the exterior color, but interested to know what was factory,

regards, CusClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1760117Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1760118
    sigpic

If this was a crated knocked down Car possibly built in Canada and shipped overseas for Assembly, it may not have ever been Painted in the Engine compartment as all "in Country" Cars were with the Major Body Color.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, you can see the inside of the trunk has been spayed white, but not the floors etc., good to know about the engine bay, I’ll finish the trunk & engine bay in white, & do the floors in 2 pack epoxy
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
        Hello,
        I've nearly got my Hawk down to the bare bones, have some sheet metal work to be done in the trunk & a bit in the floors (usual places),
        my cars original exterior color was Ermine white, it looks like the engine bay, interior floors/fire wall etc. where all in a red oxide type primer,
        it looks like the original coating, but not totally sure. I've seen some engine bay's done in the exterior color, but interested to know what was factory,

regards, Cus[ATTACH=CONFIG]79241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79242[/ATTACH]
        Hi Cus- for what it's worth- I also have a 61 Hawk, original colour Ermine, but the firewall was painted Ermine. The interior floors and internal firewall was in primer only.
        Steve.

Comment

I think a lot of the cars just got a token amount of paint in areas most drivers would never see. What was there was body color.
          The body color sets the engine off much better than giving it the GM treatment and painting the engine area black.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Please remember that all 1961 Hawks had the fin stripe painted in Pearl Beige (I think that is the proper name), even on white cars. Of course, many were repainted a different color, usually the interior color, by the dealer before sale or by an owner sometime later.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely paint the engine bay white, all the interior & trunk, but will do the floor in epoxy.
              Steve, would be interested to know what colour carpet your car has, all my seats & trim are red, the old bits of carpet are so
              faded, but look they were red originally. I think i'll do the fin stripe red also.

*Bit off this topic, but found this car for sale not far from me, it's very original & complete, it's from the same car dealership as my car
              York Motors, price is a bit scary, but fairly correct for Australia.
              Find Cheap and Discounted New and Used Cars, Vans & Utes available in Warwick 4370, QLD. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

regards, Cus
              sigpic

Comment

Great, nice find! You will probably save what... $3500.00 USD for Shipping from the U.S. ?
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1725614
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Great, nice find! You will probably save what... $3500.00 USD for Shipping from the U.S. ?
                  That's right, no shipping costs & RHD, but unfortunately not for me, is the same car as my project, admittedly my car has had some front panel switching,
                  but is complete & fairly original with minimal rust, front end & chassis, engine & trans all restored for 10K less , but saying that, if I hadn't purchased my
                  car, would of definitely tried to negotiate on that one,

*There are some good pics of that car for references , notice the door cards are the same pattern as my car that I queried about in an old post.
                  The Australian delivered cars have a few little differences,,

regards, Cus
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely paint the engine bay white, all the interior & trunk, but will do the floor in epoxy.
                    Steve, would be interested to know what colour carpet your car has, all my seats & trim are red, the old bits of carpet are so
                    faded, but look they were red originally. I think i'll do the fin stripe red also.

*Bit off this topic, but found this car for sale not far from me, it's very original & complete, it's from the same car dealership as my car
                    York Motors, price is a bit scary, but fairly correct for Australia.
                    Find Cheap and Discounted New and Used Cars, Vans & Utes available in Warwick 4370, QLD. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

regards, Cus
                    Hi Cus- My Hawk had light greyish-green carpet and mottled green upholstery. The carpet along the bottom of the door panels was light grey.
                    My car is 61V 15446- what's yours?
                    Steve

Comment

Rich-
                      $3.5K is conservative shipping only. Add to that the customs inspections at over $300 each (and they often hit you for two when they find a bit of fly crap), plus 10% goods and services tax (which also includes the costs incurred to you IN THE USA in equivalent AUD$ (like towing, prep, cleaning, storage etc etc)....... Imported my Avanti II in 2014 and the car went from $7300 AUD to $11500 or so. Our government likes to fleece us. BTW- Australia has recently banned all brake products with asbestos so there is another cost incurred for removal/replacement before it comes over.
                      Steve

Comment

My 61, which I've had since 1970, is blue everywhere. It was repainted after the unfortunate encounter with a deer on I-90. It was blue on inside of hood, floor and inside trunk when I got it and hadn't been molested since new. And, yes, Mr Judge, it came with black backgrounds on the 3 Hawk emblems--NOT red!

Comment

That's interesting, I'll do the same, but will do the floor on both sides in Epoxy Mastic, used it on my Oldsmobile, is great stuff, sets like a rock.
                          regards, Cus
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                            /Cut/Mr Judge, it came with black backgrounds on the 3 Hawk emblems--NOT red!
                            Jeff, can you define "came with" please?

If it did not come from the factory that way, it has been changed as only 1959 Silver Hawks had that Black Bird Emblem.

Unfortunately, not many of us were at the Dealer watching their Car roll off of the Haul-away Truck, and a Lot COULD have happened after that, just say'in.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                              My 61, which I've had since 1970, is blue everywhere. It was repainted after the unfortunate encounter with a deer on I-90. It was blue on inside of hood, floor and inside trunk when I got it and hadn't been molested since new. And, yes, Mr Judge, it came with black backgrounds on the 3 Hawk emblems--NOT red!
                              A lot could have happened in that nine years. It was about at the bottom of the depreciation curve at that time. I have known of cars, including Studebakers, where colors were changed before delivery by the dealer. I have owned cars where I changed things before the car was one year old, including colors on external trim items on a 1964 model.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X