R-1 water manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: R-1 water manifold

On a R-1 water manifold there is are two pipes.........one a curved large elbow, the other a small nipple.

Which one of these 'feeds' the water inlet of the Ranco heater valve?...........the angled elbow, or the small nipple?

Thanks!

Hot water from the engine comes out of the passenger side of the pump on the top. The connector that comes out of that runner goes to the Ranco Valve.

Comment

The curved one(next to the alternator).Closest to the thermostat
      Last edited by bezhawk; 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

so you are saying the small nipple? that is the closest to the fender
        Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        Hot water from the engine comes out of the passenger side of the pump on the top. The connector that comes out of that runner goes to the Ranco Valve.

Comment

well bez you claim the opposite one then what tom b claims.......
          Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The curved one(next to the alternator).Closest to the thermostat

Comment

I am in the hospital so may not be able to answer you back, I was "lurking" and saw this confusion.

What Tom is trying to say is correct, forget the fittings, it is where the water comes from that matters. The parts catalog and Shop Manual both show that the HOT water comes from the passenger side "LEG" of the Manifold that goes to the cyl. Head.

On A/C cars or Avanti it could be the drivers side, but it MUST be the UPPER Leg.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Glad to see you posting Rich. This means you are doing better.

Comment

the part books shows the lower nipple(not the elbow) feeding the ranco valve
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I am in the hospital so may not be able to answer you back, I was "lurking" and saw this confusion.

What Tom is trying to say is correct, forget the fittings, it is where the water comes from that matters. The parts catalog and Shop Manual both show that the HOT water comes from the passenger side "LEG" of the Manifold that goes to the cyl. Head.

On A/C cars or Avanti it could be the drivers side, but it MUST be the UPPER Leg.

Comment

My parts manual shows in the body section, plate 21-1, The elbow connection, closest to the thermostat , goes to the water valve.From the valve to the inlet of the heater core. The short nipple goes to the outlet of the heater core.
                  The Avantis have both outlets on the same PASSENGER side UPPER leg.
                  Last edited by bezhawk; 04-16-2012, 03:56 AM.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

On my brothers Avanti the short nipple goes to the inlet of the ranco heater valve, not the large elbow.
                    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    My parts manual shows in the body section, plate 21-1, The elbow connection, closest to the thermostat , goes to the water valve.From the valve to the inlet of the heater core. The short nipple goes to the outlet of the heater core.
                    The Avantis have both outlets on the same PASSENGER side UPPER leg.

Comment

Coolant Flow in most all Engines

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                      On my brothers Avanti the short nipple goes to the inlet of the ranco heater valve, not the large elbow.
                      If your Bro's short nipple is located at the bottom of the water manifold instead of on the upper "leg" that goes to the head, the hoses are installed backwards!

This is all very simple really...

The coolant in the Block flows bottom to top.

The coolant in the Heads flows back to front.

The coolant in the Radiator flows top to bottom (Probably left to right in Avantis).

This is all High School Auto Shop I, test ONE!

So to get hot coolant to your Ranco Heater valve to be controlled and fed to the Heater Core, you pick up the hottest coolant after cooling the Engine that is headed for the Radiator to be cooled, it ONLY comes out of the HEADS!
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Assume the hoses are backwards, any problem?......he put in a new core about three yrs ago and noticed no problem. Is there cause to have concern now? The Avanti parts book shows the hose attached to the nipple closest to the fender....is connected to the Ranco valve.......this is getting to be too much........bring back HS Algebra:-)
                        If your Bro's short nipple is located at the bottom of the water manifold instead of on the upper "leg" that goes to the head, the hoses are installed backwards!

This is all very simple really...

The coolant in the Block flows bottom to top.

The coolant in the Heads flows back to front.

The coolant in the Radiator flows top to bottom (Probably left to right in Avantis).

This is all High School Auto Shop I, test ONE!

So to get hot coolant to your Ranco Heater valve to be controlled and fed to the Heater Core, you pick up the hottest coolant after cooling the Engine that is headed for the Radiator to be cooled, it ONLY comes out of the HEADS!

Comment

NO disrespect, but I think if you stop talking "closest to fender" and "elbow or straight nipple", and concentrate on WHERE they are located as I mentioned above, it might even be correct!

Backward flow would mean you can NOT turn off the heat.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Then they are correct because the heat can in fact be turned off. This entire q&a is because the Ranco valve does leak.......and we just want to put in a ball valve in line to kill the water feeing the valve until such time as the valve will be taken out to rebuild.
                            NO disrespect, but I think if you stop talking "closest to fender" and "elbow or straight nipple", and concentrate on WHERE they are located as I mentioned above, it might even be correct!

Backward flow would mean you can NOT turn off the heat.

Comment

I have restored many and they are indeed, hooked up as it shows in the parts manual. I only used terminology that (I hoped) could be understood by someone with out any manuals. If you are not familiar to Avanti water manifolds, then you have no basis to make claims as to the way they are normaly hooked up. They are 100% totally different from a regular Stude water manifold. Please don't take this as being critical, NOT meant that way. Just stating observations over many cars.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                              X