Investigative reporter and the Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigative reporter and the Champ

After trying for a year to get a chrome shop in Concord NC to return my bumper, I contacted a local TV station for help.They came out today for an interview and pics of the truck. It's a long story, but in short, the shop will not return calls. They last posted on their FB site that they are still working on it and will ship next week "no matter what." (That was June 9).
    The reporter has tried to contact them but also in vain. They are not a Stude vendor so my rant may fall on deaf ears as another lesson learned in life. All I ask is that they return the bumper, as is, and they keep the $300 deposit. Seems simple enough.
    I guess the next step is the BBB or Consumer Affairs.
    After many falsely promised delivery dates I am frustrated and aggravated!
    Last edited by rbruner; 06-28-2018, 06:41 AM.

Robert, I sure hope they did not lose or destroy it. What a bummer!
    I am glad it was not a Studebaker vendor. Keep us apprised of your progress. The BBB is a good next step. You might need to find out if your State AG has a fraud division that investigates these matters as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thank, Ed. I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown with the football. "Trust me, this time for sure."

Comment

A friend had a chrome shop lose the "bullets" from his Packard Hawk front bumper. After much back and forth, he sued them. Magically, the shop located the parts in their discard pile out back.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hopefully you have a receipt or some record of it being in their possession. Small claims court might be a good option.

Comment

Thanks. I have copies of our agreement, cancelled check, registered letter and transcribed every text message. This company still rates 5 stars by customers. The entire ordeal is baffling.

Comment

Lay out the pieces going to the plating shop, then take a picture of them. Print it out on paper and give one sheet to the plating shop and keep a sheet for yourself.
              Might even be good to have a date of completion and cost given on each sheet.

Comment

The completion date was last Sept. I was to pick up bumper at a car show in Myrtle Beach. Then Hurricane Irma hit. Then their pipes froze and burst in Jan. Then Dave was training new help, then the help had the flu and then...........

Comment

Yeah, I think small claims might be your best bet to kick them in the ***

It might motivate them to find the part.

It would be good to put together a phone log of the dates (or approximate dates) that you called them to check on the status to no avail. That helps for court...

Heck, you may even be able to find a way to charge them extra for the delays to get more than the value.

If they are in a different county or state, I believe you can file the order in your county and they have to come to your court. At least, thats how it works in California. Not sure about South Carolina.

Comment

Yes. Remember, the one with the best notes wins!
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks, guys. I considered driving 4 hours to NC to pick up bumper but chances are there would be nobody in their shop. I need that guy from the old tv show "the Equalizer". Edward Woodward.
                      Last edited by rbruner; 07-15-2018, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Just received a text from the chrome man. He says it will be 10 more days max. He no longer has the bumper and has given it to another shop to finish. Claims he almost died. May be the truth. The Champ was the last project for the body shop owner before he died also. I'm not liking this omen.
                        He is also questioning why the TV reporter is involved. Am I the bad guy here?
                        Last edited by rbruner; 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

No, you are not. Assuming he is telling the truth, he still should have been in regular contact with you every step of the way. If the bumper does not appear, and to your satisfaction, on the promised date, then I'd suggest proceeding with legal action.
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Forget the better business bureau. They are more about promoting businesses than protecting consumers.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

In the past I have had good luck retrieving items from scoundrels by employing 2 very large muscular men from a well known national motorcycle club.
                              They can be very persuasive.
                              Doesn't matter what state as they have chapters everywhere. Fee includes recovery and return delivery.
                              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                              X