Lark business coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark business coupe?

My lark is nearing completion , and i'm going to use the original front bench seat and eliminate the rear seat . The plan is to panel off the trunk and carpet the rear section. Did Studebaker ever build a lark business coupe??

Depending on the year, they did market a 'Utility Sedan'. One received a $15.00 credit for omission of the rear seat, and a plywood shelf in place of. (1961)

Craig

Comment

The Lark panel wagons.....
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Thanks Craig! Anyone have any pics or more info on lark utility sedans?

Comment

Scotsman Utility Sedan here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-1958-Scotsman

And a Production Order for a '59 Utility Sedan posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-vehicles-1958

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
            My lark is nearing completion , and i'm going to use the original front bench seat and eliminate the rear seat . The plan is to panel off the trunk and carpet the rear section. Did Studebaker ever build a lark business coupe??
            Neat idea! I am thinking about doing the 'back seat delete' thing to my car when the time comes.Shoot me some pix when it's done.Thanks!

Comment

Thanks CraigAnd yes rusty65 i'll post pics , my patterns are done I'm planning on using starboard for the backer.

Comment

Finally getting around to reply

I sent off for the blueprints for the rear seat delete/utility sedan, built one from scrap plywood and made brackets from 1/8 strip stock and installed it in my 62 hardtop. I have bucket seats instead of a bench seat.

I covered it with grey all weather carpet from Menards and used some metal strips from an erector set to hold the carpet down. If I can figure out how to get a picture off my phone to the forum I'll post pictures.

Jeff T.
                \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                The Replacements.

Comment

It's amazing how useful Erector set parts still are. How many of us learned our love of mechanics from Erector sets as kids?
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I remember building one machine from the suggested directions and after that invented all manner of things in my head.

Two that I remember include a truck with front wheel drive. The front axle pivoted on the drive shaft.

I also built a cable hanging device which ran back and fourth across the attic room where i did my mad scientist constructions.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

If I can figure out how to get a picture off my phone to the forum I'll post pictures.
                      Jeff, if it's an iPhone I can't help but a newer android is really straight forward if you are saving to Google photos.

If you are, just chick the check mark on each photo you want to download, then go to the upper right corner of the screen where the three vertical dots are. Click on the dots and one of the options will be "download". Click on download and you can then chose the file you want and click save.

They'll be in that file in your computer ready to upload to the forum. You can also upload them to Imgur or Flickr from your computer if you want to post in that format.

Bob

Comment

Yes, I'd like to see that I have made the pattern for the back panel , still need to get the starboard. BTW I rolled the lark out of the backyard and drove it for the first time today! I'll post more later

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
                          I had a '63 that was so devoid of nearly everything, including exterior script, that it had to be a business coupe. Only one visor, no glovebox door, no rear seat, not a single option. Being that it was painted battleship grey, I suspect it was originally purchased by the navy.

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post
                            I had a '63 that was so devoid of nearly everything, including exterior script, that it had to be a business coupe. Only one visor, no glovebox door, no rear seat, not a single option. Being that it was painted battleship grey, I suspect it was originally purchased by the navy.
                            That would be a very interesting car.

If you still have the serial number, the Production Order would reveal who it was originally for. Apparently, the State of California had a fleet of Standard four doors also painted gray: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rnia-State-Car

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              That would be a very interesting car.

If you still have the serial number, the Production Order would reveal who it was originally for. Apparently, the State of California had a fleet of Standard four doors also painted gray: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rnia-State-Car

Craig
                              That was back in 1972. It had been abandoned and before some government had it towed away, a friend helped me get to my house. I found the address of the owner, but he had moved leaving no forwarding address. The state obviously couldn't contact him either, but wouldn't allow me to file for an abandoned title unless I posted a 1-year $2000 cash bond. Most 10 year old cars in '73 could be bought for $200, so 2 grand was not logical. The friend helped me dismantle it and the remains were taken to a scrapyard. The sad thing was that other than a new battery, the car was nearly perfect. We talked about it being a show car, since it was so basic, there wasn't much left to deduct points from.
                              The reason I believe it was a Navy car, is that the nearby base was closed in 1968 and bought by the City of Phoenix. After a couple years, the city started divesting things they had no need for and this car may have been one of those things.
                              Since you mentioned serial numbers, I remember taking some off of cars I parted out. A quick look found 5 plates and 2 of those body tags. I only have one '63 and it's 63S-34956. It's the cleanest one of the bunch too. Is there someone on this forum who can look it up?

Comment

Working...
                              X