56 Golden Hawk engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 56 Golden Hawk engine swap

I have a 56 Golen Hawk (352 Packard) driver with a standard shift and a bad engine. I also have a rebuilt 1960 Hawk 289 engine with a standard bellhousing. What do I need to swap the engines?

First thing you will need..... new motor mounts both the rubber as well as the mount bracket. The transmission will not adapt to the stude engine, you need a stude engine and manual tranny. DO NOT destroy the Packard Transmission bell housing as well as all linkage! You can probably finance the whole swap by selling the Packard manual transmission package.

If it was me I would find a Packard engine and keep the car complete as a 56 Golden Hawk with standard transmission is highly sought after.
    It is an addiction!

Comment

The transmission will not adapt to the stude engine, you need a stude engine and manual tranny. DO NOT destroy the Packard Transmission bell housing as well as all linkage! You can probably finance the whole swap by selling the Packard manual transmission package. If it was me I would find a Packard engine and keep the car complete as a 56 Golden Hawk with standard transmission is highly sought after.
      Most excellent advice.

Having driven, bought and sold many '56Js, I'd agree removing the Packard V8 and replacing it with the Studebaker V8 will lower the value of the 1956 Golden Hawk far more than the money you will be saving. Consider keeping the '60 289" for your next project or selling it to finance this one, but it's your car, your money, your decision.

PM me if you want more info. I've got rebuilt Packard V8s on the shelf ready to go.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Sean, the two previous posters have offered you as good of advice as you'll likely get!!!

Another good site to hang out and ask your questions on would be the 56J Owners Group on Yahoo here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/56Jonlygroup/

If you have not as yet registered your 56J, please consider doing so here: http://tinyurl.com/3wcy4jx

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Sean - Welcome to the Forum!
          You just have bad timing. I have given away several 1956 Packard V8s over the years, but do not have one now. Like the others, I suggest replacing the engine with another Packard engine. Somewhere in the northeast you should be able to find a rusty 1956 Packard for near scrap price.
          Just Saturday, I was trying to convince Jack R. (your BiL, IIRC) to look on the Forum for information about the wipers on his (Kathy's) Avanti.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What the others said. The most unique and desirable feature of the '56 Golden Hawk is that big Packard engine; the fact that it has the 3 on the tree instead of the delicate Ultramatic is simply icing on the cake.

A '56J without the Packard engine is like a Hemi Cuda without the Hemi.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You and I could probably do some engine swapping, since I could use a drop in 289. I have several 352 engines in varying states of readiness. One is a Packard 352 that was set up to drop into a 56J a decade or two ago, but the owner sold it to me letting it set in his garage gathering dust. I have two more 352s (with 56J serial numbers) that my local machine shop guy did for me 3-4 years ago, but I have not had time or need to reassemble them. Have all parts on hand, just haven't gotten round to it.
              If interested, PM me.

Comment

Working...
              X