"Promises to be a Solid Investment?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Promises to be a Solid Investment?"

An unusually nice one of these, to be sure, but if $29,500 for a 273 without air conditioning "Promises to be a Solid Investment," the investor would likely be a good candidate for a couple Brooklyn Bridges...

Geeze:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1100618/1967-plymouth-belvedere-2-for-sale-in-sudbury-ontario-p3n-1l1

(Hmmmm...come to think of it, the claim isn't made that it would be a good investment! ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,
    But it does have the highly sought after "BP Battery Hold down"!
    Personally I never thought these models were that highly sought after, but what do I know? It is a lovely example however.
    Bill

Comment

Hummmmm, so 10-20 years down the road some Gen X, Gen Y, Millennial will be chomping at the bit to pay $60,000+ for a smog belching, gas hogging, rolling pile if steel. I'm thinking – NO. They will likely be paying big bucks for first generation I-Phones, X-Boxes etc. so they too can relive their childhood. The day is not too far off when the bottom will drop out of the collector car market. The Silent Generation and the Baby Boomers will die off and the then current generation will have as much interest in cars as this I-Phone generation has in Ham Radio.

$29,500 seems like a lot to compensate for one's adolescent disappointment.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Looking at the Plymouth reminds me a little of my '55 Belvedere cnvt w/OD, elec. seat, and elec. windows. Red with black side panels and black top. My first V8! It was great fun.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Looking at the Plymouth reminds me a little of my '55 Belvedere cnvt w/OD, elec. seat, and elec. windows. Red with black side panels and black top. My first V8! It was great fun. If I saw one like it for sale I would have a weak moment!
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Some posts cause my thoughts to wander. This one led me to look up the word investment. Not that I didn't think I knew what it meant, but because I began to wonder if I really had a true grasp of the word. Well...there's good and not so good investments. Therefore, I conclude that with the car that is the subject of this thread, it is quite possible it can be a "solid" investment. Most likely, if the seller gets his asking price, a "solid" investment for him. Of course, not knowing his investment in money, time, etc...it could turn out to be a lousy investment.

For me, the time to type this comment, already enough investment.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"The day is not too far off when the bottom will drop out of the collector car market." I agree with wittsend, I think that there will always be a few, that appreciate classic cars, but most will have moved on to the latest, greatest, self driving, maybe even flying, mode of transportation.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Very nice car, but it's not a performance model. This is the kind of car I would have settled for when I was younger. My first three cars weren't even V-8s.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Even in Canadian dollars thats still too much for a 67 square "B" body with a 273. Nice enough car, but $10k too much at least.

Comment

seems a lot.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I owned two Valiants with 273 V8s. That engine was good in that size car. My sister had an intermediate (B-body) Dodge with the 273 V8. I believe that the engine was inadequate for that car.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I owned two Valiants with 273 V8s. That engine was good in that size car. My sister had an intermediate (B-body) Dodge with the 273 V8. I believe that the engine was inadequate for that car.
                        Gary, you make some interesting points. I have had many cars with very different engines. One of the most impressive (to me) was an International Travelall with the 401ci V8 engine. Horrible gas mileage, but surprising raw power. In discussing "adequate" vs "inadequate," are we really considering the vehicle, or "driver expectations?" I believe mostly it is the expectations/attitude of the driver. In my youth, I wanted power and speed. Now that I'm older, I value dependability, economy, and safety more than speed and G-force acceleration.

Also, when discussing what's "adequate," we must consider geography. Those living in relatively flat plains areas, or coastal regions (flatlanders) can get by with less acceleration and power than folks living in the mountains, or folks who do a lot of traveling to areas with challenging geography. In my opinion, there have been some vehicles that deserve the inadequate engine description regardless of any other circumstances. Two that I owned come to mind. One was a four-cylinder Pinto station wagon and the other was a 1983 6 cyl Buick Regal. It is one thing for a car to chug around a residential community between home and the grocery store. But when a vehicle is too anemic to safely accelerate & merge into traffic on the interstate...that's inadequate!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yikes and I've seen B Body station wagons with slant six power!

Regarding the Pinto wagon being underpowered..., I installed the 4 cylinder, T-Bird, Turbo Coupe (190 HP) engine in my Pinto wagon. Merging into interstate traffic is no-longer-a-problem.

Can't seem to get pictures to post, but this links to the album. Images 3,4,6,7. https://www.flickr.com/photos/243418...h/13338653794/

'64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                            Yikes and I've seen B Body station wagons with slant six power!

Regarding the Pinto wagon being underpowered..., I installed the 4 cylinder, T-Bird, Turbo Coupe (190 HP) engine in my Pinto wagon. Merging into interstate traffic is no-longer-a-problem.

Can't seem to get pictures to post, but this links to the album. Images 3,4,6,7. https://www.flickr.com/photos/243418...h/13338653794/

You can't post pictures direct from your computer to the Stove Huggers Forum. You have to us a photo hosting site.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I would probably be the guy who would step up to this silly price on such a car if I had unlimited resources. The first car my Dad and I bought together was a Candy Apple Red 67 Belvedere II Silver Streak Special 2HT with the 383 4BBL, black top with Silver Streaks in it. No, this isn't an exact match, and with the 273, it isn't even close performace wise. But, that car is likely the closest I'd ever come to my Dad's car. I'd post the picture of my brother and I behind it my first day of Kindergarten in 1968 if I hadn't dumped Photobucket. Never underestimate the power of the emotional attraction. This car has it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X