new to SDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to SDC

I am new to the SDC, but not new to the old cars. I have quite a few Crosleys, and am on the Board of Directors of the Crosley Automobile Club. I have had Studebakers since I was 16 (now 64) I just bought a pair of 58 Transtars out in Idaho. One was rolled over, and only the chassis was left. It has a dealer installed 352 Packard V8. It was one of 4 that the dealer installed the Packards into. They had a total of 8 that were used by a large company to haul potatoes from the local farms to the factory. I am in the process of rebuilding the Packard engine, and I will put this cab onto that chassis.
    Barry Seel
    Click image for larger version

Name:	58 Studebaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1753329

Welcome to the Forum and the SDC!
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Interesting story. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum. I hope you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club as well. Tons of help and information here.

Comment

Join the SDC club

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
        Interesting story. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum. I hope you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club as well. Tons of help and information here.
        I did join the SDC club. I love the Turning Wheels. There is alot of info in there.
        Barry

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Barry. Sounds like a good find with the trucks. The Packard engines were very good and should provide excellent service once rebuilt. We would all love to see photos of your progress. We are a very visually oriented group here.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Welcome. You have an interesting truck for sure.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

That 'Packard into Stude truck' story needs to be expanded!!....Please tell us more, and post pix if you can!....Thanks!

Comment

Sounds as if you might have a good article for "Turning Wheels."

Comment

Originally posted by 58 Transtar View Post
                  I am new to the SDC, but not new to the old cars. I have quite a few Crosleys, and am on the Board of Directors of the Crosley Automobile Club. I have had Studebakers since I was 16 (now 64) I just bought a pair of 58 Transtars out in Idaho. One was rolled over, and only the chassis was left. It has a dealer installed 352 Packard V8. It was one of 4 that the dealer installed the Packards into. They had a total of 8 that were used by a large company to haul potatoes from the local farms to the factory. I am in the process of rebuilding the Packard engine, and I will put this cab onto that chassis.
                  Barry Seel
                  Very interesting to hear of another dealer installing Packard engines in Studebaker trucks. Many years ago (1973) I bought out a Studebaker dealer's parts. When I had most everything loaded he asked me if I would want a Packard engine. We walked to the back of his shop and, sure enough, there was a crate Packard V8. He said he bought it to install in a local farm truck when the Stude engine spun a bearing. The owner backed out and the dealer just kept the engine. I didn't take it, but let a man who needed it know about it. He did drive 350 miles one way the next week to pick up the engine.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Since many of these Stude trucks used the HD T-85 (T-89) transmission, with a change in transmission input shafts this swap probably wasn't all that difficult to do.

They better of put stiffer springs under the front end though!

Comment

Very cool!!!!
                      I am VERY interested in this swap for some reason...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3104.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1711934

Knowing what's used around here for potato hauling--
                      is it a safe bet that the chassis is a one ton or larger?
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Welcome to the group Barry! You absolutely have to talk with Jack Vines (Mr. Packard) as he has a similar truck.
                        Good luck and cheers.
                        Bill

Comment

Jack Vines has helped me with alot of parts to overhaul the engine. My chassis is a 1/2 ton, with a T86, and a Dana 44 4:27 rear. I will change the gear ratio to 3:73. I am going to use this to pull my enclosed car trailer with 2 Crosleys in it. This way I can show the Crosleys, and the Stude.
                          Barry
                          Last edited by 58 Transtar; 03-05-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

The Packard engine is only 66 lbs heavier than the Studebaker V8

Comment

Barry: Welcome aboard.
                              My Grandfather owned a successful Studebaker Dealership in St. Petersburg FL, but they did things the conventional way.
                              Stewart Jones Motors had a highly respected SERVICE department, as my Grandfather started his career as a mechanic.

Neat to hear about Packard V8s being installed into trucks by a Studebaker dealer. That was fairly progressive thinking, with the additional Torque and Horsepower.

I agree, a Turning Wheels article about your Transtar & the Dealer who did the upgrades would be of interest. Include plenty of pictures too.
                              It would be nice to know the Dealer's name & location.

Lets call them "Golden" Transtars, in honor of the 1956 Golden Hawks.

Keeping Studes Alive

Stude-Preferred
                              Atlanta GA

Comment

Working...
                              X