No announcement yet.

64 GT Door Glass Removal?/Second try...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 64 GT Door Glass Removal?/Second try...

second try: I guess I didn't explain very well.....I'm talking about the weatherstrip that is mounted to the outside of the window glass on the bottom of the glass itself.....it travels up/down with the window. The service manual (page 52) says it must be remove/installed while still in the door....but how?
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    "The book", page 52, says: to remove the door glass you first need to remove the both the inner and outer lower door window weather seal strips while the glass is still in the door....any suggestions on how that is done?
    From my perspective, it is simply asking you to remove the rubber weatherstripping before anything else can be done. The door panel would likely have to come off as well and you would support it from the bottom yourself while using tools like these https://www.ecklers.com/chevy-truck/...caArwPEALw_wcB to remove the weatherstripping.

Best of Luck!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

If I remember right I removed the rollers on the door regulator and the window stops and it just pulled right up and out. Dont forget the stop at the top of the vent window.

Comment

The rollers, and lower channel will get caught up in good "fuzzies"
        What I do is release the window from the regulator guide pins, and let the window drop all the way down in the door. Then you can pry out the "cats whiskers" with a putty knife. Just slide the knife between the fuzzy, and the door, and rock it to pop the clips. slide it along the length of the weatherstrip and release the next one, until you can remove it. Then do the other side of the window opening the same way. That will give you plenty of room to lift the window and frame up and out of the door without the lower part getting hung up as you pull it out.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

No, that is not the issue....they were removed easily
          Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The rollers, and lower channel will get caught up in good "fuzzies"
          What I do is release the window from the regulator guide pins, and let the window drop all the way down in the door. Then you can pry out the "cats whiskers" with a putty knife. Just slide the knife between the fuzzy, and the door, and rock it to pop the clips. slide it along the length of the weatherstrip and release the next one, until you can remove it. Then do the other side of the window opening the same way. That will give you plenty of room to lift the window and frame up and out of the door without the lower part getting hung up as you pull it out.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

The weatherseal strips "CAT WHISKERS" are tricky if your saving them. You will need to release the stop bolt (looks like a fender bolt use 1/2 inch wrench) this keeps the window height set flush when rolled down. This will allow you to remove the cat whisker with ease. Good Luck

Comment

The rubber glass setting channel has a lip that helps deflect the water when the glass is all the way up. If yours is still intact you are lucky. Usually they are long gone and laying in the bottom of the door. It is not possible to remove it without removing the window from the car, and removing the screws holding the lift channel from the stainless window surround, and removing the channel from the glass. Normally the lip will fold out of the way when you lift the whole frame, glass, and lift channel from the door as a complete assembly.
              If the manual calls for any weatherstrip removal they are talking about the cats whisker fuzzies at the top of the door.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Aha!.....Thank You! Now I understand.
                Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                The rubber glass setting channel has a lip that helps deflect the water when the glass is all the way up. If yours is still intact you are lucky. Usually they are long gone and laying in the bottom of the door. It is not possible to remove it without removing the window from the car, and removing the screws holding the lift channel from the stainless window surround, and removing the channel from the glass. Normally the lip will fold out of the way when you lift the whole frame, glass, and lift channel from the door as a complete assembly.
                If the manual calls for any weatherstrip removal they are talking about the cats whisker fuzzies at the top of the door.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                X