T90 top load on T86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T90 top load on T86

I have found a lot of posts that discuss doing this. But every one I find is on a T86 with a short overdrive housing. I have a T86 with the longer housing.

Will the T90 top load shifter work on my trans?

Will the 1st / Rev shift fork have to be modified (offset)?

Any other modifications required?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find a post that applied.

Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

I have found a lot of posts that discuss doing this. But every one I find is on a T86 with a short overdrive housing. I have a T86 with the longer housing. Will the T90 top load shifter work on my trans?
    The main transmission cases are the same, so yes.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I did a post on this with photos some time ago. Use the search function. Basically, you have to weld a tab onto the first-reverse shift fork to operate the overdrive lockout rail. I have done 2 or 3, and all have worked.

Some T90 top covers may not fit all the bolt holes on the top of all T86 transmissions. But if you mate up the parts, it should be obvious which holes in the cover need to be re-drilled.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have such an animal sitting in my shed. I have another in the Power Hawk. They work well. Don't expect precision "click...click" type shifting, but it has a decent
        feel.

Comment

I built a standard version of the transmission in question and if I was as good a welder as Gord I would weld up a tab on the 1/rev fork and build an overdrive unit. I bought a 65 taxi transmission from SASCO for the shift unit. Last time I checked SASCO and probably its successor Studebaker International has the shifter parts and perhaps a few of the taxi transmissions in stock.

Jeff T.
          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
          The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
          X