First Step of the New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Step of the New Project

My project for later this year followed me home yesterday. It was the most harrowing car pick up I have ever experienced. That says a lot as I have picked up over 300 cars in my lifetime. I don't have time to share the whole story right now but will do so soon. Here is the foundation for what will be a 200 mile per hour 1957 Golden Hawk clone.

More about the project in the future. Oh and YES it will be Studebaker powered.
    Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 01-05-2018, 05:36 PM. Reason: Title change

The license plate says it's an AWK
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Dan glad to see you made it home OK, how long did it take ? see you at La Pama

Bob
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Seriously pretty!
        But are you gonna make a G.H. out of it? Seems hard with those sweet rear side windows...

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
          Seriously pretty!
          But are you gonna make a G.H. out of it? Seems hard with those sweet rear side windows...
          I was wondering the same thing.???
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Golden hawk is just a name in this case.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Bob is right. Because of the problems associated with hardtops and window blow out at over 200 miles per hour the SCTA likes it when you use a coupe instead. Cleaning up loose pieces of Lexan and holding up the race is not high on their list of good things. So we will use a coupe and paint it Gold after installing all the other Golden Hawk goodies. Good catch though. Bob we did make it home by 1:30 AM. Safe and sound. See you at La Palma. Are you interested in a batch of Hawk parts? I can bring them with.

Comment

Got some work done today on the Hawk finally. Got the Jag rear suspension installed with the adjustable ride height adjustment shocks. Didn't get the new wheels yet so will have to make due with these for this weekend. Looks kinda goofy with those tiny 26" tires and zero offset wheels. Short list for tomorrow and then load up and hit the road again. La Palma here we come.

Comment

I'm all for coupe's compared to hard tops myself so I fancy it more like this...!
                  (There's a "Silver Hawk hard top (!) in Sweden, I think it's been changed in the 70's, didn't help the looks in my opinion.)

Comment

I didn't have time to share it when I posted the pictures but this car is actually quite amazing. First, I grabbed hold of the fan and pushed down on the belt and gave a tug. The engine turned over real smooth. Then I checked the oil and it was so clean I could read the dipstick through the oil film. So I put a battery in it and using my bump starter turned it over. It spun over smooth and quiet. SO I cranked it while watching the oil pressure gauge and it got oil pressure within about five seconds. Kept cranking and oil pressure reached 60 psi. Good sing so I took it a step further and poured some gas mixed with Marvel Oil to lube things up done the carb. It fired right off on the second or third crank. I did that twice and then figured out the fuel pump is toast. So I rigged up my electric fuel pump and a can of gas and fired it off. It runs great. Smooth, quiet leak free (ya like that will last), smoke free and you could put a glass of water on top of the air cleaner and it wouldn't spill a drop. So I guess the mechanic former owner kept it in good shape. Then feeling brave I put it in gear. The transmission went right into reverse without a seconds hesitation. Shifted to forward and same result. So no brakes but I did drive it down by the camper to make room for the wedding rehearsal dinner that night. Can't wait to get brake on it and flush the tank and get it driving. Took a long look at all the paperwork provided by the seller and best I can figure is the 76,000 on the odometer is the correct mileage. Pedal wear (or should I say lack of) and all the original interior and trunk mats seem to confirm that. Might explain why the engine runs like it does. More as it happens.
                    Dan

Comment

Sounds like an excellent car! Looks very good too. I never would have thought to put those two colors together but it looks very nice. Unique too.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Fired up the Power Hawk today. Drove it up to the shop and left it running to see what worked and what didn't. Most everything works but it will need some work on the lights before hitting the road. Hot oil pressure (160 degrees) after thirty minutes of running was 50 psi. Good but might have a stuck pressure relief valve. No smoke or noises. Sounds real good but need to cut the rotted muffler off as the drivers side one already fell off before we got the car. The accelerator pump is weak and causing a stumble so need to adjust that. The original carb I found in the trunk is in good shape and only needs a rebuild. Makes me wonder why the guy put the Chevy carb on instead of rebuilding the original. Maybe he got the Chevy one for free or something. So with that done I began covering the car with a tarp. Set off the bug bombs as it is time to kill all the spiders and critters that might call the car home. Hope to get it jacked up and check the brakes and get some tires put on it tomorrow. Need to drain the tank and give the entire car a good looking over. Hope to have it on the road by next weekend.

More as it happens.
                        Dan

Comment

Cool! The discovery part of new car acquisition is always fun!
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I own a 1957 Golden Hawk and might be interested in any parts that you would not be using. I will be heading out to San Francisco area with the motorhome around the second week of July.
                            Thanks
                            Bob

Comment

BODY COUNT IS AT SEVEN!!!

I thought there were only six but found another one when I pulled the right front wheel. That makes seven dead black widows, assorted other spiders and some beetle looking bugs. Man that car was infested. Pulled the wheels and tire off of it and cleaned up the hub caps and the wheels with the hose. Vacuumed off the brake drums and webs. Decided to check out the hydraulics before pulling the drums. Bled the brakes and ended with a firm, no leak down, nice high pedal. Locked the brakes on for a full twenty minutes and not one leak. Good sign, so decided to take a look. This is what I found:

No you are not seeing things. That is exactly as I found it and yes no brake dust. It looks like the mechanic who owned it put all new brakes on it with new drums, shoes, wheels cylinders, hardware , seals and hoses. then never drove it. It is as if he was getting it ready to put back on the road and never got to drive it. Even the back drums came off without a major fight. Major score for whoever ends up buying the front suspension and differential when we convert the car later this year. They will get all new brakes. Put it back together and the brakes are ready to go. Yes, I used anti-seize copper on the axle shafts. It will come apart nicely the next time. Decided to check out the differential. Cleaned off the tag and it reads 43/13 so it has a 3.31 gear ratio and it does NOT have TT.

Loaded up the tires and took them to the tire shop. Will pick them up in the morning with good used tires road ready. Moved on to the fuel tank and found it had been removed and cleaned. New fill hose with new clamps, new fuel line with new clamps and the wiring to the sender has been changed. No gas smell at the cap and it is dry as a bone. So it looks like it was removed and cleaned but never used. Will replace the stuck drain plug and fill with gas. Installing an electric fuel pump and then will fire it up. Hope to take it for a spin on the private one mile driveway at the ranch. I will try to make a video of the cruise. Cool find. This car may turn out to be the bargain of the year.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X