New Collectible Automobile: Nice DQ 1934/1935 Stude article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Collectible Automobile: Nice DQ 1934/1935 Stude article

Dick Quinn has a lengthy, unusually-interesting article in the new (October 2013) Collectible Automobile magazine. Here is the opening and title page of 12 pages worth of excellent reading:

One reason this is a good article is because Dick spends the first three text pages detailing Studebaker's brief history up to, and including, the 1933 receivership procedings. This has always been a difficult set of circumstances from which to weed out what actually happened. Dick's writing about it is concise and easy to follow, yet complete enough to give one a comprehensive overview; "just right." Well-written, Dick; thanks.

Also in this issue of Collectible Automobile is a lengthy report on a large new collector-car museum in Kearney (pronouced "carney") Nebraska: Classic Car Collection. This 50,000-square foot museum had its Grand Opening in April 2012.

Significant to us in Studebaker-land is that the current car on rotation in the front window, is cousin George Krem's 1958 Golden Hawk, now refinished in the 1957 color scheme of white with gold fins. (The car originally had a gold roof as well, per 1958 Golden Hawk color arrangements, but George liked the 1957 style better with only the fins painted the accent color, so that's how he had the car refinished. It retains its original colors, just arranged differently than South Bend sprayed them.)

Here it is on the cover of Turning Wheels six years ago, before he had it refinished with 1957-style two-toning:

The Classic Car Collection in Kearney is less than 50 miles from George's [current] home in Holdrege, Nebraska. (However, that is subject to change before I post this; many of you know how often George and Ludene move! )

George came to know Museum Director J. L. Schmidt and one thing led to another. Now, George may be rotating one of his three nice Studebakers (the Golden Hawk, The Plain Brown Wrapper, and his hot, mostly R2 with supercharger, F-body 1960 Lark two-door, through the museum's display areas.)

Unfortunately, lead time being what it is, photographs for this issue of Collectible Automobile were taken at the museum before George's Golden Hawk was placed on display, so it does not appear in the magazine. But if you get the magazine, you can read about where his 1958 Golden Hawk now resides.

Elsewhere in this issue is a good, lengthy feature article on General Motors Golden Anniversary cars and trucks, the 1958 models. The print quality is excellent throughout, of course, so the printer must have laid in a good supply of CHROME INK before this issue went to press featuring 1958 General Motors cars!

Overall, a good issue worth buying. It must already be on larger newsstands; I bought mine today at Barnes & Noble. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

When I see "DQ" I think of Dairy Queen. I usually see/use RQ for Richard Quinn <G>.

I may have known George's Golden Hawk before he did. I remember it from 1968. Just think, it was only a ten year old car then. I do not even own a car that new now.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

George & I toured the museum in Kearney this past Thursday. It is one of the finest that I have seen in some time. Well worth the stop if you are traveling thru Nebraska. George's Hawk is in the front window of the lobby.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        When I see "DQ" I think of Dairy Queen. I usually see/use RQ for Richard Quinn <G>.
        Okay, I'll force myself to stop at Dairy Queen on my way to pick up the magazine. (on second thought, probably not, I've lost 50 lbs this year...and I'm working to keep it off).
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks, Bob. One reason I put the Golden Hawk in this museum at this time is its location. The Baldwin filter company is on one side and it's right next to a Cabellas sports store...all on the old Lincoln Highway on the East side of Kearney.

The Lincoln Highway Association had their centennial celebration in Kearney a few weeks ago. Kearney is located midway between New York and San Francisco on that road, with there being exactly 1,733 miles in each direction to the coasts. Hundreds of old cars made the trip on the Lincoln Highway for the celebration, coming from both directions.

They had a really big parade and car show downtown. With all those old car enthusiasts in attendance, the Classic Car Museum had excellent crowds that weekend. In addition to the Golden Hawk, the museum has a Colonial Red 1960 Champ pickup, a 1963 Lark V8 four-door, and a couple of Studebakers from the 1920s. There are over 180 cars in the collection at present. The museum Director, J. L. Schmidt, is incrediblly knowledgeable and really pleasant to talk to. It's a great place to visit.

George
          george krem

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
            George & I toured the museum in Kearney this past Thursday. It is one of the finest that I have seen in some time. Well worth the stop if you are traveling thru Nebraska. George's Hawk is in the front window of the lobby. Denny L
            Right, Denny; George told me of your mutual visit. It sounds like a really neat place. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob for the high praise. My 13th feature article for CA since 1996 and have not had a single correction in the "letters" section. Remember that word count limit of 3500 that you once worried about? This one was about 4900! Incidentally I supplied all of the b-w images for the article. That helps the bottom line.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I usually buy any magazine with an article by Richard Quinn.
                It's just good sense.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  Thanks Bob for the high praise. My 13th feature article for CA since 1996 and have not had a single correction in the "letters" section. Remember that word count limit of 3500 that you once worried about? This one was about 4900! Incidentally I supplied all of the b-w images for the article. That helps the bottom line.
                  You're welcome, Dick. I've now had time to read the whole article and it is indeed informative and an easy read. 'Still liked the first three pages the best; an excellent summary of the financial issues de jour and how they played out.

Good that you were able to supply the images! The only reservations you (or I) ever had about those articles were unauthentic photos being chosen and captioned without your input, where a proper caption could account for a discrepancy in the subject photo.

I also finished reading the article on General Motors in 1958; it was equally great and I learned many nuances of that "interesting" year. Terry Boyce did a nice job on that.

Page 29 is especially enlightening; you have a photograph of a 1958 Oldsmobile on top and, below it, an artists's brochure-type rendering of a similar '58 Olds. Instructive is comparing the two and seeing how much license artist's took to stretch and lower cars for illustrations. That's no surprise, of course, but it's not often you have a photo and a drawing of approximately the same size so close together that the mind can comprehend both in one sighting and note the dramatic difference between what they'd like you to perceive and what really is.

'Speaking of 1958 Oldsmobiles, it was interesting to note how dramatically Olds outsold both Pontiac and Buick in 1958, and posted a much lower decline from 1957 sales (20%) than did Pontiac (35.4%) or Buick (36.6%), with only Oldsmobile selling over 300,000 cars. The General 'must've had some heads rolling.

This is a good issue of Collectible Automobile. Highly recommended for "single-issue" purchasers. ('Too bad they took the Classic Car Collection photos at the Kearney museum before George's Golden Hawk was placed on prominent display; it must have missed it by a matter of weeks. ) BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Thanks Bob for the high praise. Remember that word count limit of 3500 that you once worried about? This one was about 4900!
                    A 3500-4900 word count, Dick? How about a 3,800-4,000 character count limit for Hemmings Classic Car that translates into about 650 words? Try cramming all you want to say in that cage! BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Dick Quinn has a lengthy, unusually-interesting article in the new (October 2013) Collectible Automobile magazine. Here is the opening and title page of 12 pages worth of excellent reading:

One reason this is a good article is because Dick spends the first three text pages detailing Studebaker's brief history up to, and including, the 1933 receivership procedings. This has always been a difficult set of circumstances from which to weed out what actually happened. Dick's writing about it is concise and easy to follow, yet complete enough to give one a comprehensive overview; "just right." Well-written, Dick; thanks.

Also in this issue of Collectible Automobile is a lengthy report on a large new collector-car museum in Kearney (pronouced "carney") Nebraska: Classic Car Collection. This 50,000-square foot museum had its Grand Opening in April 2012.

Significant to us in Studebaker-land is that the current car on rotation in the front window, is cousin George Krem's 1958 Golden Hawk, now refinished in the 1957 color scheme of white with gold fins. (The car originally had a gold roof as well, per 1958 Golden Hawk color arrangements, but George liked the 1957 style better with only the fins painted the accent color, so that's how he had the car refinished. It retains its original colors, just arranged differently than South Bend sprayed them.)

Here it is on the cover of Turning Wheels six years ago, before he had it refinsihed with 1957-style two-toning:

The Classic Car Collection in Kearney is less than 50 miles from George's [current] home in Holdrege, Nebraska. (However, that is subject to change before I post this; many of you know how often George and Ludene move! )

George came to know Museum Director J. L. Schmidt and one thing led to another. Now, George may be rotating one of his three nice Studebakers (the Golden Hawk, The Plain Brown Wrapper, and his hot, mostly R2 with supercharger, F-body 1960 Lark two-door, through the museum's display areas.)

Unfortunately, lead time being what it is, photographs for this issue of Collectible Automobile were taken at the museum before George's Golden Hawk was placed on display, so it does not appear in the magazine. But if you get the magazine, you can read about where his 1958 Golden Hawk now resides.

Elsewhere in this issue is a good, lengthy feature article on General Motors Golden Anniversary cars and trucks, the 1958 models. The print quality is excellent throughout, of course, so the printer must have laid in a good supply of CHROME INK before this issue went to press featuring 1958 General Motors cars!

Overall, a good issue worth buying. It must already be on larger newsstands; I bought mine today at Barnes & Noble. BP

LOVE CA. My wife let it lapse when I was on the road for a while. I was NOT happy. My only real complaint: too many $#@! GM and Fords. More indes PLEASE!

Comment

Dick
                        Mountain Home, AR
                        http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X