Avanti trunk weatherstrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti trunk weatherstrip

I am getting ready to glue a new weatherstrip to the trunk lid of my '63 Avanti. I have always assumed there was only one obvious way to glue it on, but photos in the AOAI's 1963/1964 Studebaker Authenticity Manual have raised questions in my mind.

First, examine the cross section of the new weatherstrip in the attached photo below. I have always thought the rounded corner you see in the cross section fits into the similarly rounded concave corner of the trunk lid against which the weatherstrip fits when it is glued in place. This would mean that the open part of the U faces outward all the way around.

However, after looking at the photos in the Authenticity Manual, pp J265-268, it looks like I am seeing something different. The photos are not not real clear on this question, but the rounded corner of the cross section you see below does not appear to be glued to the rounded concave corner on the lid. Instead it appears to be facing out (see especially the photos on p. J266). The other photos seem to suggest that the open part of the U actually faces in toward the center of the lid all the way around, although that is less clear.

Even if you do not have an Authenticity Manual to look at, how is the weather strip glued to your Avanti trunk lid? Does the open part of the U face inward or outward? Is the rounded corner I refer to glued to the similarly shaped concave surface of the trunk lid? Does anyone know for sure what the factory correct way is?
    Attached Files
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

Early Mustangs used the same cross section. I have found them to be much less dense and seal far better than anything any Stude vendors has offered. I believe the open end faces inwards.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks, Bez. I was hoping you would respond. I have ordered an early (1965-1970) Mustang weatherstrip.
      Stan Gundry
      www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

Working...
      X