3/4 ton rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 ton rims

I am still one rim short on my 2R10. Yesterday at Bob's house while I was picking up my 289 we were talking about a few of the Studes and parts he had. There was the remanants of a later model 3/4 ton truck. Bob said the truck was about a '56 or so and that it had the same 6 x 7.25 bolt pattern rims but that they were NOT the 2 piece style but they were tubeless.

I asked for help last week on finding a good 2 piece rim and a few of you had an idea or two but none have panned out. I would be happy with the newer tubless rims if I could find them. I would actually love a set.

Does anyone have, or know somewhere I can find 2 or more of the later tubless 6x7.25 rims?

Even with 2 I can use then on the rear and 2 of mine on the front until I find a way to do what I want to do.

PS. not asking for them for free....just looking for help finding any rims I can match up.
    After recieving a free motor do I always have to preface my request for parts help with "I am willing to pay"?
    Last edited by kmac530; 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM.

Rims like these:

What year is this truck? I believe it is a Transtar, correct? In my search it says 1955 3/4 ton. I want these.....

Alan, I will call the contact you gave a little later today, I hate phone calls too early.

Comment

IIRC, they're just flat steel plate welded into drop center rims.

There was the remanants of a later model 3/4 ton truck. Bob said the truck was about a '56 or so and that it had the same 6 x 7.25 bolt pattern rims but that they were NOT the 2 piece style but they were tubeless.
      I'm still interested in seeing one of the tubeless 6-hole 7.25" wheels. It is to be hoped they exist, but I've never in fifty years seen them. Did you actually examine the wheels or just hear of them from Bob? Again, IIRC, the early '56 3/4t single rear wheel trucks had a Dana 60 rear axle with the old Timken brakes and 6-hole Budd wheels. In mid '56, the SRWs changed to, IMHO, the much less attractive Ford/Dodge 8-lug brakes and wheels, which were used through '64. The 1t dual wheel C-cabs used the different offset 6-hole wheels through '64.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I found a picture of one online after Bob told me they existed. I will se if I can find it.

There

Comment

You can see a wheel weight on the lip of the rim and a hump down the center for the tire to be able to drop into to change tires. Definately a one piece tubless rim. Not sure if it is a stock rim from a Stude, but it is a 6x7.25 tubeless...I need some.

Comment

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those look like custom rims made up with a flat steel plate center. I'm betting they aren't OEM Stude wheels. Over on the truck site, Frank in Germany had some similar wheels made up. Most any custom wheel company can fab them, but they won't look like the real deal.

jack vines, who's run the OEM two-piece Budd wheels for thirty years and hopes to run them for thirty more.
            PackardV8

Comment

Kelly, lookin' at the parts book, the closest thing that Stude used was a 17&1/2" X 5&1/4" wheel. And that was first used in 1956. That may be what's on the '55 you gave a link to. I would be willing to bet that a wheel such as you seek WAS made and used in the 50s - just not by Studebaker. There's a fella what hangs out on the Studebaker Truck Talk forum that really knows vintage wheels. He might be able to steer you to what you want. Jack's assessment of those wheels might be right too. They do look kinda funky.

After giving it some thought, I recall now that that '56 3/4 ton I parted out had 8-lug wheels on it. Looking at the parts book again, the '56s used 8-lugs. It appears there were some one tons that used a six-lug tubeless wheel, but again, theyh were 17&1/2. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up, but it's been at least three years since I scrapped out that truck. I kept the cab and front metal, but let the scrap guys dice up the rest. There's been a cople of instances where I've regretted letting them do that, but I'm not gettin' any younger and no one's in any hurry have any of it - not unless it's pristine and cheap.
              I think it would've been a heck of alot easier to build my workbench on a truck frame rather than the Cruiser frame I used, but it still came out alright.
              Last edited by Roscomacaw; 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: errors
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Your cruiser work bench was awesome Bob.

I would take any rims at this point.
                I just went to register my truck and they told me I have to get it weighed and I can not have it weighed on a trailer even if I come back and weigh the trailer by itself. So I have to get it rolling very soon. to finish getting it plated. Always something with old vehicles isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, those look like custom rims made up with a flat steel plate center. I'm betting they aren't OEM Stude wheels. Over on the truck site, Frank in Germany had some similar wheels made up. Most any custom wheel company can fab them, but they won't look like the real deal.

jack vines, who's run the OEM two-piece Budd wheels for thirty years and hopes to run them for thirty more.
                  Mr. Vines, I will be happy to run the 2 piece rims, if I could only find one more to make up my set. My truck has some odd ball off of a dually or something. It is the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern but it is much more back spaced and 3 of the lug nut dimples taper inward and 3 taper OUTWARD, so Im guessing they are from a dually and that helps key the dual rims together...I still just need one 16" 6x7.25 rim from an early 50s 2R10 truck.

Or 2 matching 6x7.25 rims of any size since I am going to be running bigger tires on the rear so matching does not matter to me.

Any Ideas?
                  Last edited by kmac530; 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

With a WTB here and on the truck forum, I'm a bit surprised no one has offered wheels for sale. They are usually pretty easy to find, albiet needing sandblasting and powdercoating.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      With a WTB here and on the truck forum, I'm a bit surprised no one has offered wheels for sale. They are usually pretty easy to find, albiet needing sandblasting and powdercoating.

jack vines
                      Hey Jack,
                      I do not see a truck specific forum here on SDC. If there is one I would appreciate info on how to get to it. Is there a classified add section here on SDC? I have only posted a request for a rim here in General Discussion since I have not seen any other forum sections that seemed pertenant.

I would appreciate any direction you may have, I am newer here and have not found all that this site has to offer I am sure, not to mention the fact that I am computer illiterate and overall a knucklehead...lol

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kelly

Comment

Not an official SDC forum truck site, but here is where the Stude truck guys hang out:

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                          /Cut/It is the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern but it is much more back spaced and 3 of the lug nut dimples taper inward and 3 taper OUTWARD, so Im guessing they are from a dually and that helps key the dual rims together.../Cut/
                          The "coined" lug nut pocket wheels are for a 1 Ton Dually Ford.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                            Not an official SDC forum truck site, but here is where the Stude truck guys hang out:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Studedude, thanks for that link. I have no idea how to get there without using your link but at least I have a link now.

Rich, thanks for the info

Comment

Googleing Studebaker truck forum takes you right there.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...