Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker trucks, how BIG?

Hi All,

I was talking to a fellow yesterday about his Sterling truck collection. Sterling made big commercial trucks in the early 1900s. Naturally the conversation got around to Studebaker trucks and I was asked the question "just how big of a commercial truck did Studebaker make?". I'm hoping some of you can shed light on the topic.

Regards,
    John Brayton
    John Brayton

Re: How BIG?

My 6E40 (seen in the signature below) is the largest offered by Studebaker in 1961 as a "stock" truck. It is a 23,000lb GVW truck on a 195" wheelbase. I know that longer wheelbases were available (212") mainly for school bus chassis but I do not believe there was anything approaching the level of a Class 7 or 8 vehicle in weight rating and that the range around 23,000 -24,000 lbs was their maximum. Tractors were rated up to 42,000lbs GCW (gross combination weight).

Doug
    1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Aside from the military 6 x 6 trucks, did Studebaker ever offer tandem axle trucks? Was a 4-71 GM diesel the largest diesel ever offered? Was an Allison automatic ever available?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The 4-71 was to big for the E-45. They used the 4-53. Jim

Comment

Well I know that they made the US6 durning the war and it was a 2.5 ton truck
          I have one that I am working on right now.

Ken

Comment

Doug got this one right. From a 1963 Service Letter with licensing information, the 8E40E and 8E45E show GVW as 24,000 and when used as a tractor-trailer combination, GVW increases to 42,000.

Brent, I see dual rear wheels, but not tandem axles. I can send you a .pdf of the Service Letter if you want it. PM me if.

Would commercial, as John asked, include military?

Comment

There is a 1955 Sales Letter announcing the FABCO (F.A.B. Mfg. Co.) Tandem Axle Conversion for E38 models.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Hello friends; The information given above is accurate. To expand a little on John's questions and later comments, the 8E40 and 8E45's (gas and diesel) were the largest pure Studebaker trucks factory built after 1941. Wheelbases ran from about 131 inches to 212 inches. These trucks were rated nominally as 2 ton HD trucks. Studebaker never built a factory class 7 or 8 truck during this period. 1949 was the first year Studebaker built a 2 ton rated truck after WWII.

Prior to 1941, Studebaker did build trucks in the 3 to 5 ton classes, not many, but they were factory built. The engines in these trucks were supplied by Waukasha. These trucks were built in the S, T, J and K series, both standard and cab-over configurations, from about 1930 to 1941.

Studebaker never offered tandem axle trucks as standard or optional equipment from the factory on domestic trucks. Although some Studebaker trucks are around with dead and live tandem axles, they were after-market supplied. George Orphanidys, in Newport News, VA owns a 1958 3E38 tandem grain-bodied truck. I am not including military trucks in this part of the reponse

Yes, Studebaker built (assembled military 2 1/2 ton trucks- nominally a 5 ton) during and after WWII. The US6 trucks were built 1941-1945 on standard military designed chassis with Studebaker sourced cabs and Hercules gas engines. Studebaker also built similiar trucks in the post-Korean Action into the mid-1960s. Again, these trucks were basically REO designed trucks built or assembled by the Studebaker factory. There were diesels and multi-fueled engines supplied by other manufacturers. No, military trucks would not be considered 'commercial' or 'trucks for domestic sale'.

No, Studebaker never offered automatic transmissions on any of its larger trucks over the 1 ton rating either as standard or optional equipment.

Will be glad to expound on any of this as I'm responding to John's inquiry off the top of my head. Right now I do not have ready access to all my books and truck brochures.

Frank Drumheller
                Locust Grove, VA
                60S-W6
                1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

How's this?
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Here's the M16 grain/vegetable hauler truck that originally belonged to Asa Hall's father. It had a tag axle installed.

Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Hi

What is the largest GVW rated truck equipped with the Champion Six as the base standard engine?

Seems as if the Champion engine would be a might underpowered and overworked in that application.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for that one, Richard. What a fantastic Studebaker!! Does anyone have any background information or knowledge of the original owner and use of this magnificant vehicle?

Without looking for the information, I believe this is an 8E45-195 BBC as it came from the factory.

Frank Drumheller
                        Locust Grove, VA
                        not enough Studebakers, not enough room!

Comment

Thanks for the question, 56H-Y6. This should spark a little discussion.

My take on this question is the 1941-42 M15-52 models. The M15 sat on a one ton nominally rated chassis with the standard 170 cu.in. six cylinder. The truck was equipped with a standard spur gear 4 speed manual transmission. There were no options offered at the factory for the engine or transmission. The 152 inch wheelbase was a wheelbase used for box vans, stakes, wreckers, flat beds, and sundry medium duty uses. This model was never offered after 1942 and I can understand why. That size truck, with a relatively heavy body and dual rear wheels, would present a major task for that little Champion engine to get underway and up to speed. (Speed?- we're talking 35mph tops, maybe!) What happened after putting a load on that truck is left to the imagination!

The 1941-42 M15-52 is my nominee to answer your question. I have never figured why this model was ever offered. Perhaps to meet some competitive challenge presented by other manufacturers who had similiar underpowered models. This model perhaps would have survived in a urban area for a while, but not in rural America or on the open roads as a hauler. One man's opinion.

Frank Drumheller
                          Locust Grove, VA
                          60S-W6
                          1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck
                          about a dozen 'relaxed' Studebakers on the hilltop

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                            Hi

What is the largest GVW rated truck equipped with the Champion Six as the base standard engine?

Seems as if the Champion engine would be a might underpowered and overworked in that application.

Steve
                            The Champion engine is a great little engine but I think it would underpowered and overworked in ANY truck.
                            Jeff DeWitt
                            http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                              Here's the M16 grain/vegetable hauler truck that originally belonged to Asa Hall's father. It had a tag axle installed.

For those that don't know, that box above the cab was the sleeping quarters. Asa's father had the extra axle added to the truck.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X