• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vin #

can anything be told by a vin #??
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Some years just the approximate build order, many others also the engine type.
    We are very fortunate in that the records from studebaker production are still available. If you contact the museum with your serial number (it's not a vin number as they are known today) you can purchase the production order and learn much more.

Comment

The production order from the Studebaker Museum will tell you most of what you need to know about how the car was built, and folks here can interpret mysterious option codes. Studebaker never had VINs, although some Avanti II have them, as they only came into effect in the last 30 years or so. It will have the engine# and you can determine from that if the engine is original to the car, or if it has been changed. Same with the interior, options and colour.
      https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/ these cost $28 for 60-66, and $43 for 36-59 (no Canadian production is available before 1960, though)
      What your serial number will tell you is what sort of engine and where it was built--57G 770202 would be a 1957 185 six built in Hamilton ON, 58H 7211889 would be a 289 V8 built in South Bend IN, and 56B 8850123 is a 259 V8 built in Vernon CA. Starting in 59, it changed to to year/engine ie 59S or SC for South Bend and Hamilton sixes, and 59V or VC for V8s, 60V/60 VC and so on.--but the newer system won't tell you what size of engine ie 259 2bbl, 289 4 bbl, 289 R1 etc.

Comment

What Jim B said. Also remember that only newer cars actually have a "VIN" number, before the required 14 ? digit VIN #'s the State Vehicle Registration Dept's. used the SERIAL number and up to 1954 Calif. and some other States used the Engine number to I.D. the vehicle. The Studebaker I.D. numbers are "Serial Numbers" used as VIN numbers.

On your '57 Silver Hawk, you will be able to tell if it was built as a Six Cyl. or V-8, only approximately how late in the model run it was built, also if it was Assembled in the South Bend or Hamilton, ONT Canada Plant
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

well i have ordered the build sheet on my silverhawk!! but i am purchasing a 53 commander hardtop and all i have recieved so far is the number on the door frame. that number is V26B010 can any thing be told by this??

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          What Jim B said. Also remember that only newer cars actually have a "VIN" number, before the required 14 ? digit VIN #'s the State Vehicle Registration Dept's. used the SERIAL number and up to 1954 Calif. and some other States used the Engine number to I.D. the vehicle. The Studebaker I.D. numbers are "Serial Numbers" used as VIN numbers.

On your '57 Silver Hawk, you will be able to tell if it was built as a Six Cyl. or V-8, only approximately how late in the model run it was built, also if it was Assembled in the South Bend or Hamilton, ONT Canada Plant
          Kevin Phillips
          Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Your "Serial No." is an Engine Number. Commander serial nos. all started wtih 8

V26B010 would be V2680I0. I was substituted for 1.

V207001 was the first Commander motor built in '53 at South Bend. Your car would have been 61,009 after this. Hamilton, Ont. motors began with VC.

Comment

how do you guys get all of this info??? you guys and girls (if girls answered) are amazing!! i plan on ordering the build sheet as soon as i can i am just to excited to wait to get the info!!!!
              ok so i understand, you say all commander serial started with 8 but then you said the first was v207001 that kinda lost me!!
              also could this actually be the original motor for a 53 if it was # 61,009??
              thanks again!!!!

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              Your "Serial No." is an Engine Number. Commander serial nos. all started wtih 8

V26B010 would be V2680I0. I was substituted for 1.

V207001 was the first Commander motor built in '53 at South Bend. Your car would have been 61,009 after this. Hamilton, Ont. motors began with VC.
              Kevin Phillips
              Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

If you look at my signature, my 57B Commander serial number starts with an 8. A "G" engine was a six, a "B" was a Commander V8 and it would be a 259, and a "H" would be a President V8, and that would be a 289. There was also an "L" engine which was a supercharged 289. The G, B, H, (and L) all had different serial number sequences, as did the US and Canadian cars. If you look at my two 57 G sixes, the G769739 is Canadian built, and the G1390844 is South Bend built, but both cars are nearly identical 6 cylinders otherwise.

Yes, it all make sense of a sort after a while, once you know where to find the info. Not right away, though Every few years, just when you got used to the system, Studebaker went an changed it. It changed after 55, it changed again in 1959, it changed yet again starting January 1964, and then 65 and 66 were different too.....

Comment

Kevin; what these guys are saying without saying, is that the V number you gave us is a ENGINE NUMBER, you must be getting it from the Title or Registration card.

To order the production order or get a good Serial number for a current new title, you have to actually LOOK at the forward drivers door post and copy the SERIAL number from the serial number plate!

And YES, if that Engine (V268010) is the original and is still in the car, it IS a 1953 Commander, and the CAR'S SERIAL number will start with an 8.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

ok, that makes since cause the number is off the title!! thanks

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Kevin; what these guys are saying without saying, is that the V number you gave us is a ENGINE NUMBER, you must be getting it from the Title or Registration card.

To order the production order or get a good Serial number for a current new title, you have to actually LOOK at the forward drivers door post and copy the SERIAL number from the serial number plate!

And YES, if that Engine (V268010) is the original and is still in the car, it IS a 1953 Commander, and the CAR'S SERIAL number will start with an 8.
                    Kevin Phillips
                    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

hello, i'm trying to figure out the title for my car (so i can actually get it registered in my name!). the seller said the title didn't match the car, and when i went to get it registered, they wouldn't do anything without the title (seller still has it, but gave me a bill of sale, which they didn't care about).

thinking the seller confused the door pillar number with the number that's supposed to be on the title, i emailed the seller with the engine number to see if it matched the title. it does not.

so, my questions... what can you tell me about these numbers, and how do i fix this fiasco (i did ask the seller to sign the title and mail it to me)?

529278 is the number on the block... then there is a 2, D, a small circle, and i think an N underneath the number.
                      G658I43 is the number on the door pillar.
                      G1059216 is the number on the title.

i'm most confused because the number on the title doesn't even remotely match any of the other numbers.

oh, while i've got the question up here, the tag on the passenger side of the firewall is missing. is there a way i can order a new one, and how do i figure out what number was there?
                      Last edited by pyrodork; 11-03-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

kpcoupe & pyrodork, if you haven't found these lists to help SDC and Forum members identify their engines, here are the links:

With a search, you may, or may not some days, find several helpful threads regarding all of your questions. Title and Studebaker serial number snafus are common topics here. Titles being changed and typos being made in title bureaus, fibbing, or different rules in each state through the decades since our vehicles were first sold, will always be cause for consternation among new Stude purchasers.

Pyrodork, I don't think anyone has come up with an exact factory stamping press for the firewall tags. Many people save and collect them, though. Maybe someone has one that will come close to what yours should be trim and engine-wise. Except for the correct number it came off the line, another tag will replace the blank spot on your cowl. It should be part of an honest disclosure procedure upon selling the car in the future, though. Good luck. You haven't even touched on the hidden serial number topic yet! Baby Stude steps.
                        Last edited by barnlark; 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                          You haven't even touched on the hidden serial number topic yet! Baby Stude steps.
                          hidden serial numbers? are any of those something that MAY match what's on the title?!

Comment

Possibly, if the title is for the FRAME, and the body, it's Serial number and the Title are different, due to a Body replacement, not very likely though!
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X