View RSS Feed

Pat Schudel

Three speed overdrive problem

Rate this Entry
My gearshift is stuck in my 289 with overdrive transmission and my Studebaker Hawk can anyone tell me how to unstick it would like to drive the car soon
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The best way is to climb under the car and disconnect the shift rods from the trans levers. There are two levers sticking out of the side of the trans to which the rods from the bottom of the steering column are connected. Remove the cotter pins and pull out the rods. Move the levers back and forth -- each has three positions, the middle of which is neutral. Put them both in neutral and have a helper hold the shift lever as close to the neutral position as possible. The rods should now match up exactly with the holes in the levers. If not, loosen the nut and shorten/lengthen each clevis until they do. Tighten the nut, insert the rod, and install a new cotter pin in each. It should now shift without jamming. BTW, this condition is often caused by sagging motor mounts -- something that should be checked.
    The best way is to climb under the car and disconnect the shift rods from the trans levers. There are two levers sticking out of the side of the trans to which the rods from the bottom of the steering column are connected. Remove the cotter pins and pull out the rods. Move the levers back and forth -- each has three positions, the middle of which is neutral. Put them both in neutral and have a helper hold the shift lever as close to the neutral position as possible. The rods should now match up exactly with the holes in the levers. If not, loosen the nut and shorten/lengthen each clevis until they do. Tighten the nut, insert the rod, and install a new cotter pin in each. It should now shift without jamming. BTW, this condition is often caused by sagging motor mounts -- something that should be checked.
    Thanks will try it when I get off work. Very much appreciated