View RSS Feed

sodman

84 Avanti Power Mirror Switch

Rate this Entry
My '84 Avanti has the power side mirrors. After much restoration work including the mirrors, the mirrors do not work. I can not find an wiring information like a diagram. I was told the solid blue, red and yellow wires went from switch to the mirrors. If that is correct then of the other three - white w/black strip, blue w/white stripe and red w/black strip - one must supply power to the switch itself. I can add that from the switch the wires go to two connector blocks(?). One has red w/black , blue w/white and solid red. The second has white w/black, solid blue and solid yellow. That is what I can see at the door.

The switch is no longer available and the piece used to switch from left side mirror to right side is broken off. I have attached a picture of the switch...or trying to add.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power mirror switch.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	73341

Basic question is what wire carries the power to the switch and then to the mirror/s? If original switch is no longer available is there another switch I can use as replacement?

And, since I'm talking electrical problems, is there a replacement motor for the power windows, or must I have the original one rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Cummings
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

UPDATE: I found that the blue w/white stripe carried the power and the connection was poor from the connector block to the switch. Once I got a good connection I was able to get the mirrors working.

I'm now working on the left side power window and I suspect that problem is with the motor.