PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold gaskets, which way do they go?

wolfie
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I will (hopefully) be reinstalling the exhaust manifolds on the T-cab tommorrow. I have new metal gaskets with a recessed bead on one side and a corrosponding raised bead on the other. Which way do they orient when I install them? Thanks, Steve

IMJ
06-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi Steve,
I am not familiar with 6 cyl. but if you are working on a V-8 I don't think you must be concerned which way the raised lip on the metal gasket will point. On the other hand, you must be concerned that the gasket will not block the square opening between the head and manifold. So position or line up the gasket and make note of which way the gasket must be turned to achieve that. On some openings the raised portion will face the head on others it will face the manifold. Only the center(double) gasket could be the same for each side. I don't think it matters but on that one I usually face the lip toward the manifold.

regards,
Jay

wolfie
06-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks, It is a V-8. I can make the gaskets square up on the manifold with the bead in either direction. I will install them with the bead to the manifold side and the pipe side below the heat riser valve and hope for the best. Thanks again, Steve.

JDP
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks, It is a V-8. I can make the gaskets square up on the manifold with the bead in either direction. I will install them with the bead to the manifold side and the pipe side below the heat riser valve and hope for the best. Thanks again, Steve.

Bead out to the manifold or pipe.

06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Bead out to the manifold or pipe.
Does it really matter? I don't think I have ever paid any attention to which side was out and I don't remember any problems.

JDP
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Does it really matter? I don't think I have ever paid any attention to which side was out and I don't remember any problems.

Probably not, but I consistently install gaskets that way. (part number and bead out.)

Chicken Hawk
06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I will (hopefully) be reinstalling the exhaust manifolds on the T-cab tommorrow. I have new metal gaskets with a recessed bead on one side and a corrosponding raised bead on the other. Which way do they orient when I install them? Thanks, Steve

It DOES make a difference on the end gaskets. If put in wrong it will block a small section of the head port. The bead goes on the head side on the left rear and bead to manifold side on the front. Just the opposite on the right side. Bead to head side on the front and bead to the manifold side on the rear. If you look at the gasket laying flat on the head you will notice the bottom part of the gasket has an angle and the top is level and parallel to the head. Hope that makes sense.

Ted

wolfie
06-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys, I will be attacking it in the next few hours. Steve

06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
It DOES make a difference on the end gaskets. If put in wrong it will block a small section of the head port. The bead goes on the head side on the left rear and bead to manifold side on the front. Just the opposite on the right side. Bead to head side on the front and bead to the manifold side on the rear. If you look at the gasket laying flat on the head you will notice the bottom part of the gasket has an angle and the top is level and parallel to the head. Hope that makes sense.
Ted
I guess I must have unconsciously been doing it right then because I always checked to make sure they were properly aligned.

IMJ
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I will install them with the bead to the manifold side and the pipe side below the heat riser valve and hope for the best. Thanks again, Steve. I thought you were talking about the gaskets between the manifold and the head. I guess you were talking about the round gaskets between the manifold and the heat riser and front pipe.

regards,
Jay

wolfie
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I thought you were talking about the gaskets between the manifold and the head. I guess you were talking about the round gaskets between the manifold and the heat riser and front pipe.

regards,
Jay

I am doing them all. The manifolds were removed from the truck and rebolted, all new exhaust engine back including the riser valve. Didnt get everything bolted up before the rains stopped me. Tracy caught me with the "honey do" list when I abandoned it and I never got back to it. Ted (Chicken Hawk) was,as expected, spot on with how it goes though for anyone else doing this. Thanks again, Steve