PDA

View Full Version : electronic distributor



dallastx75208
02-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Has anyone converted a 1962, 289 to an electronic distributor. Did you change out the distributor or drop in one of those kits to convert over?

N8N
02-05-2006, 12:24 PM
I am using a 62-up single point Prestolite, converted by Dave Thibeault to electronic with Chrysler guts. No problems at all.

Now if you want to use a drop in kit to convert your distributor, I would have the dist. rebuilt first, the advance weights on the Prestolites are crap.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

2R5
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I have electronics in mine. I use a delco distributor , they work real nice .

dallastx75208
02-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Delco from where, what car? If I go in to the auto store and ask for electronic distributor for a 289 Stude they will not even know where to look for the match.

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I have electronics in mine. I use a delco distributor , they work real nice .

Dick Steinkamp
02-05-2006, 03:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

Delco from where, what car? If I go in to the auto store and ask for electronic distributor for a 289 Stude they will not even know where to look for the match.

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I have electronics in mine. I use a delco distributor , they work real nice .



#1 if you go to an auto parts stores and ask for an electronic distributor for a Stude, you'll be very disapointed. As Nate said, contact Dave Thibeult for the Chrysler conversion. If you want a Pertronics unit for your distributor, contact Phil Harris at Fairborne Studebaker. There is not another distributor that is a drop in to a Stude V8 from any other car.

#2 Studebaker used two distributors in their 289's. One made by Prestolite and one made by Delco. You'll need to know which one you have to do either option above. (hint, the Delco unit has a "window" that enables you to set the dwell with the engine running).

-Dick-

wagone
02-05-2006, 03:14 PM
And the Delco unit is to be MUCH preferred compared to the Prestolite (not that GM is perfect, mind you). Wish I could find a Delco unit to replace my Prestolite. And I don't believe that all V 8 Delco Stude units had the window for adjusting the Dwell--the early ones did not--but then if you are going to electronic conversion anyway---no sweat.
wagone and Avanti I

2R5
02-05-2006, 06:43 PM
I actually have both types of delco dist. the window is from 1960 and the windowless type is from 1958 . Actually the windowless has less parts to give you trouble , not saying it is better but just wanted to note that.

Dan White
02-05-2006, 07:20 PM
I believe the Pertronix units are availble only for the dual point Prestolite and the Delco, but not the single point Prestolite, unless they did something to change that.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

dallastx75208
02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to check mine and see what one it is. I want this to be a daily drive so I also want it easy to maintain.
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp


quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

Delco from where, what car? If I go in to the auto store and ask for electronic distributor for a 289 Stude they will not even know where to look for the match.

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

I have electronics in mine. I use a delco distributor , they work real nice .



#1 if you go to an auto parts stores and ask for an electronic distributor for a Stude, you'll be very disapointed. As Nate said, contact Dave Thibeult for the Chrysler conversion. If you want a Pertronics unit for your distributor, contact Phil Harris at Fairborne Studebaker. There is not another distributor that is a drop in to a Stude V8 from any other car.

#2 Studebaker used two distributors in their 289's. One made by Prestolite and one made by Delco. You'll need to know which one you have to do either option above. (hint, the Delco unit has a "window" that enables you to set the dwell with the engine running).

-Dick-

r1lark
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
#2 Studebaker used two distributors in their 289's. One made by Prestolite and one made by Delco. You'll need to know which one you have to do either option above. (hint, the Delco unit has a "window" that enables you to set the dwell with the engine running).
-Dick-

Actually there were two different style Delcos used by Studebaker in 289s. One was the window distributor Dick talks about. The other was an earlier Delco, similar to some '50s GM engines. This was used in Studebaker V8s up through '59, and in V8 Hawks (C body) through '61. The V8 Hawks continued with this earlier distributor because the distributor mounted (between the distributor body and cap) tach sending unit would not fit on the Delco window-style distributors.

Oh yeah, the first couple of years of V8s ('51, '52, not sure about '53) used a 'shorty' version of this early Delco distributor, which fit into an 'adapter' which attached to the block in the distributor location. The distributor drive gear and oil pump drive were part of this 'adapter'. This is a neat setup since you can pull/replace the distributor without having to worry about getting the distributor/cam gear meshed correctly and at the same time engaging the oil pump drive tang.

These are very good distributors, just not as 'sexy' <G> as the Delco window distributors. I have used them in several cars over the years. Parts are readily available. I have one of these early Delco distributors in my '63 Champ V8 I'm building, converted to electronic with a Pertronix.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
51 & 52, Paul. Yeah, I wish I could find a few of those earlier units.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Gee - just looked at SASCO's site. LOTSO parts for that early distributor setup![^] It would cost a bunch to build one from scratch tho![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I would definitely be in touch with Dave T. - I don't know if he's still making the Chrysler conversions or not, last time I talked to him he was having a hard time getting cores. However, he is apparently working on an all-new distributor based around a Mallory Unilite trigger, which would work in a similar manner. This would be a brand-new drop in replacement, so if reliability/function is more important than price, this might be the way to go. I do not know if they are available yet or not, however. They are for the six cylinder engines, but that doesn't help you much...

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Mike Van Veghten
02-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Want a NEW distributor...call Roto-Faze (Torrance [I think]CA).
They will build you a new distributor from the ground up. It even has a mechanical high speed retard for you blower guys. Solid piece, old time racer, been around for YEARS!