PDA

View Full Version : Studebakers In The Movies

Pages : [1] 2 3

S_Ferrell
05-16-2005, 01:39 PM
I had mentioned earlier that other than my sickness for Studes, I also have a sickness for rotten horror movies. Would anyone like to know what movies starred Studes? Just for fun.

Alan
05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Studes in horror movies or in all kinds?

S_Ferrell
05-16-2005, 01:49 PM
All kinds, here is a trivia question, a Studebaker was in the orginial 1978 "Halloween" where and what was it?

studeclunker
05-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Check with the Beach cities / Inland Empire chapter. They kind of specialize in promoting our cars for that kind of thing(951-734-1816). The only car that I remember starring in a horror movie was Cristine (birrrrr).[}:)][:0] Wasn't she a Plymoth Fury?;)

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Alan
05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
If you check out a Tony Curtis movie made in 1953 called Johnny Dark the car in it called the Thunderbird that was in the lead and the favorite to win the race was Stude Powered and regestered as a Stude.

studeclunker
05-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Was that the one with the turbine? The one that lost it's hood during the race? I loved that movie and I can't remember the name of it.[:o)]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Alan
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Turbines didn't come out till the early 60's about 10 years later

Justin53
05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Years ago I remember reading in Old Cars Weekly about a movie wherein many bulletnose Studes were wrecked. I think they used them as police cars. This would have been the late 70s or 80s. This bothered me the same way I hate to see monster trucks chewing up cars that will be of interest to enthusiasts a few years after they are merely used cars, but when this movie was made the Studebakers were already recognized and collected.

I know it is not much info to go on, but does anyone know that movie.

Thanks for any info,
Justin

Roscomacaw
05-17-2005, 07:34 AM
One of the "Batman" movies featured bullet-noses as Gotham police cars. The movie about the Tucker used at least one bullet-nose in a crash scene.:(

Miscreant at large.

Peter in London
05-17-2005, 02:44 PM
"LA Confidential" stars a '53 or '54 coupe.

Peter.

JeffDeWitt
05-17-2005, 09:53 PM
In the movie "Fright Night" Roddy McDowell's character Dr. Peter Vincent (aka The Mighty Vampire Slayer), drives a nice Lark.

Jeff DeWitt

Dwain G.
05-17-2005, 11:18 PM
How about sci-fi genre? One of my favorites is "It Conquered the World". A B/W 1956 film with Peter Graves, Lee VanCleef, and two beautiful 1956 Studes, a President and a Pinehurst that both get a lot of film in the second half of the movie.

Dwain G.

S_Ferrell
05-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Thank you for all the responses, it makes a new member feel welcome. Here we go: Christine was a 1958 Fury that was painted red for evil. The Plymouth factory in the beginning of the movie was a closed furniture factory in ME.

The Johnny Dark movie was on SpeedChannels Lost Drive In. The stock cars were 1954 Willys Sedans. The "Idaho Special" that he races was a modified Plymouth.

Kevin Spacy drove a 1953 coupe in LA Confidential.

Fright Night was a 1962 Lark Cruiser, just like my Stuart.

The movie with the Turbines was Fireball 500 in 1963.

Tucker did wreck about five buillet noses and it is a shame.

The orginal Halloween had a 1963 Wagoneer. Mike Myers parents pull up in the drive way in it and see their little darling with his knife.

Alan
05-18-2005, 12:17 PM
The Idaho special was a Woodill Wildfire with a Chevy 235 Blue Flame Powerglide 6 and 2 1BBL down draft carter carbs on a log manifold.

S_Ferrell
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

The Idaho special was a Woodill Wildfire with a Chevy 235 Blue Flame Powerglide 6 and 2 1BBL down draft carter carbs on a log manifold.
Quite right, I have a Collectible Automobile magazine with a profile on it.

Alan
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Say S would your mag. have anything on the Thunderbird that was driven by Duke Bentson in the movie?

nm dude
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
A `35 Commander convertible played a prominent role in "The Color Purple". It was owned by SDC member Bob Yale, who recently passed away.

gotti210
05-18-2005, 11:24 PM
ah man come on there a few studs in american graffiti

the 1st superman w christopher reeves

a movie called, who wrote the book of love, one of the leads parents owned a 50 or 51 that he dragraced in and necked in

someone told me the other day that theres a 50 or 51 in the new movie, RAy, with jamie fox as ray charles
\
studs are in all the cool movie ya just gotta look for em

N8N
05-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Muppet Movie yet...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

PaulDriver
05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
A bear in his natural habitat.

A Studebaker.

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Muppet Movie yet...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Transtar60
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Well theres the Porky's I and II which had a 2R wrecker and another 2R in the parking lot.
The made for USA network TV movie, "What the Deaf Man Heard" had James Earl Jones driving a large M-series truck as a local junkman.

Last night watch a program called" Great Performances" on PBS, couple shots of a 2R pickup in the background of the behind the scenes of the making of the "Wild Ones" (Monty Clift, Marylin Monroe, Clark Gable)

The short lived TV series from 2003, Wonderfalls, a 65 Studebaker sedan.

52hawk
05-20-2005, 08:32 AM
In the beginning of SERPICO,Al Pacino drives a red Lark.When he is in traffic,you will see a black Lark behind him.If you can sit through a goofy horror movie,called Tremors[and Tremors 2]You will see this man-eating serpant type monster come out of the desert floor,and through the body shell of a C or K ,I don't remember just what the car was[53-55 or Hawk] One of the main characters wears a ball cap from a sports team,I guess- it says 'HAWKS'

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

Alan
05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Bob Pattons Avanti on CHIPS Jan. 26, 1978

StudHawk60
05-20-2005, 01:26 PM
In the movie "The Hot Spot", Don Johnson drives a nice black 59 Silver Hawk in quite a few scenes.[8D]

BRUCESTUDE
05-21-2005, 10:24 AM
A MOVIE CALLED (I THINK) "RECKLESS" ABOUT A NERD TYPE THAT BEFRIENDS AN OUTCAST. THE NERD LATER NECKS W/THE POPULAR CHICK IN A BULLET NOSE, AND LATER SMASHES IT UP. LOOK CLOSELY, THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT CARS (ONE A '50, AND A '51). THE MOVIE CAME OUT SBOUT 15 YRS. AGO, A GOOD FLICK WITH GREAT PERIOD CARS AND GAS STATIONS.
WHAT ABOUT "STREETS OF FIRE"; A ROCK AND ROLL SCI-FI FROM ABOUT 20 YRS. AGO? THEY USED A BUNCH OF BULLET NOSE POLICE CARS, AND WRECK SOME TOO!

steve_smith54
05-23-2005, 09:16 PM
I know of a couple of films I have on video that feature Studebakers. In the 1990 SciFi film "Spontaneous Combustion", the main character drives a red 1951 Champion Starlite coupe. Incidentally, that car appeared to have the bullet nose backlighted. Does anyone know if that was a factory option for the '51 Studes? In the 1997 comedy film "Mr. Magoo", the title character drives a red 1951 Commander convertible. Also,there is a scene in the 1986 film "Stand By Me" in which some of the older teenagers are playing chicken with other vehicles on the highway, and one of them is driving a blue 1950 Champion. Those films come to my mind without doing any research, but I'll keep an eye peeled for other Studes in films.

studegary
05-23-2005, 09:32 PM
No factory back lighting of the bullet nose. It is Starlight, not Starlite (sic) for Studebakers.

steve_smith54
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I was never a great speller. The only way I got through English Comp in high school and college was by having the unabrigded dictionary handy. If you ever get a chance, watch "Spontaneous Combustion" for grins. It's worth watching just to see the Studebaker. The car had obviously been restored and there were other things, such as the radio, that I could tell were not original. The backlighting of the bullet was intriguing. Since it was not a factory option, either the owner rigged it up or something. Does anyone know of any kind of aftermarket kit for backlighting the bullet?

quote:Originally posted by studegary

No factory back lighting of the bullet nose. It is Starlight, not Starlite (sic) for Studebakers.

studegary
05-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I wasn't trying to be critical of your spelling ability. I was just trying to set the Studebaker record straight. Many people erroneously call Studebaker Starlights, Starlites (sic). It is Studebaker history that I strive to keep accurate. I am not aware of any kit for back lighting the bullet. I do recall kits to replace the bullet with a third light.

steve_smith54
05-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Apparently the owner of the 1951 Champion Starlight Coupe used in "Spontaneous Combustion" had rigged up the backlighting of the bullet. Allbeit non-stock it was an interesting effect. As I said, if any other members get a chance to see the film, it is probably worth watching just to see the restored Studebaker. Also, someone mentioned that there was a Studebaker in the recent film "Ray". I believe that is correct and I believe the car is a 1950 Champion. I base that on seeing a car advertised either on eBay or carsonline. The advertisement stated "just like the car used in the film Ray". For me personally, half the fun of watching older films or films set in a specific time period is seeing the classic cars they used.

DEEPNHOCK
05-25-2005, 07:06 PM
A Patch Of Blue with Sydney Pouotierre (sp)
Nice black Hawk in a bunch of city scenes...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by S_Ferrell

I had mentioned earler that other than my sickness for studes, I also have a sickness for rotten horror movies. Would anyone like to know what movies starred Studes? Just for fun.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

rockne10
05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
No one has mentioned Jim Carey in "Mask". I spotted a quick shot of a 53 coupe in a horrendous flick on Mystery Science Theater called "Egah". I think the guy who played Egah went on to be a villan in a James Bond movie. There's a bio-pic on Bix Beiderbecke with a prominent Stude touring car but I haven't seen it and don't know what it's called.

S_Ferrell
05-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Another MST freak!. Egah became Jaws in a James Bond movie, the title escapes me at the moment. I remember The Late Show with Tom Snyder. He had Little Richard on as a guest one night. Little Richard said that he went into music to earn money for his first car. Mr. Snyder (who I think is a closet car freak) asked the make. Little Richard said that his first car was a 1950 Champion. There was a Stude in the first "Men In Black" movie, what was it?

Transtar60
05-26-2005, 08:57 PM
A Champ pickup in a picture of what's his names first contact with aliens.

steve_smith54
05-29-2005, 11:38 PM
There may be some appearances of a 1964 or 1966 Studebaker in the TV series 'Mayberry RFD'. According to trivia I found on the movie database, Frances Baiver, who portrayed Aunt Bee in both 'The Andy Griffith Show' and 'Mayberry RFD', was "a life long exponent of Studebaker automobiles". According to the trivia, the last car Ms. Bavier bought was a Studebaker. Some sources state that the car was a 1964 and others report it as a 1966. In any case, the car was alleged to have made appearances in 'Mayberry RFD'. The movie database reports that after Ms. Bavier's death in 1989, two Andy Griffith fans purchased her Studebaker at auction for $20,000.

Peter in London
05-30-2005, 05:32 AM
I just remembered that when I was 17 (as a "stand in" for the crook) I drove our '55 Champion sedan as the getaway car in a school Film Society production - I think that its pretentious, Latin title may have been "Ut Proficias". It was never released, of course.

I was to drive as fast as possible past the cameraman, but the narrow, country road available did not have a very long straight section. I made repeated runs, starting at the very furthest limit possible and floored the gas pedal - and yes, the auto started in first gear, I am sure. I think that I achieved about 60mph at the critical moment - great fun! (There were no out-of-town speed limits in the UK in those days.)

Miscreant at Speed.[}:)]

stuchamp
05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
A few other films featuring Studebakers that come to mind are...

MISCHIEF....previously mentioned as 'Reckless'.:)
GREASE
GREASE 2
PAST TENSE
INVENTING THE ABBOTTS
HOT ROD
AMERICAN GRAFFITI
HOLLYWOOD OR BUST
MURPHY'S ROMANCE
BACK TO THE FUTURE
MISTER ED (tv)

I'll try to remember more later.

1942 Champion 2dr Sedan

GTtim
05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
'Catch Me if You Can' with Tom Hanks has lots of good Stude shots.
Tim K.

S_Ferrell
06-01-2005, 08:35 AM
There was a great movie called D.O.A with Edmund OBrian. It was made in 1949. He had 24 hrs to find the person who posined him. He had a 1949 Stude Champ. convt. to help him.

raprice
06-01-2005, 12:06 PM
There is a very brief glimpse of a '59 Lark Deluxe Coupe in a Las Vegas street scene in the movie, "Goldfinger". Unfortunately only a glimpse.
When my wife and I saw the movie, I blurted out "there's a Studebaker". My wife didn't want to know me.
Rog

rockne10
06-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Roger Ebert ownes Studebaker Hawk. Mabe we could ask him?

Roscomacaw
06-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I've been watching an unfolding drama starring five hawks of late. Momma and Poppa Hawk have been using the Black Walnut tree in our back yard as a feeding station for their three fleged youngsters. There's lots of screechin' goin' on - although it's not from spinning tires.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

52hawk
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Maybe no Hawks,but in THe BIRDS'[Alfred Hitchcock], in the big fire scene,one of the nearest vehicles to the fire is an m-series pickup.

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

Bandit
06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Don't forget about the Mask with Jim Carrey, his loaner car from his mechanic was a '51 Land Cruiser. Also in Back to the Future, there is a green 53/54 Hard Top in several of the street scenes.

http://mateo-f4.homedns.org/bandit/banner4.jpg

mike whitby
06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
My export 39 Commander featured in the opening sceens of the mick jagger Film ENIGMA made here in the UK about 4 years ago, hunt it out on tape

MW

Transtar56
06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't you just know it,Mr Biggs has five REAL Hawks(G)

steve_smith54
06-13-2005, 01:30 PM
The 1950 Champion 4-door used in the film "Batman Forever" is currently for sale on eBay. It is still painted as a Gotham City police car.

64challenger
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
In the original 1940s version of the movie DOA the lead character drove a late 40s business coupe! There are several good shots of the car. Also there is a old movie called quicksand and the lead character works at a Stude dealer---lots of late 40s early 50s studes in that one! Both really good movies too.

My Studes:
1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
5.1959 Lark 2 door post
6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

whacker
06-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Watched a really dumb old movie called "Crazy Mama" last weekend. About a gang of outlaws in the 1950's southwest, the outlaws were 3 generations of women! They drove a 1955 Packard and a 1957 Silver Hawk in a couple of getaway scenes. The only part of the show worth watching!

steve_smith54
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Yesterday, the 1978 film "Superman", a.k.a "Superman, the Movie" was on cable. I was half watching it while sitting at the computer. I just happened to look up and saw a 1953 or 1954 Studebaker. I just caught a glimpse of it. It appears in a scene when Clark Kent is in high school, just before he outruns the train and a scene or two before his father dies. I haven't watched that film in years. I will either rent it, or watch more carefully next time it is on cable to see if I can positively identify the Studebaker. I can't determine the brand of the pickup truck the Kents drive in that film. Could it be a Studebaker too?

Peter in London
07-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Maybe somebody else has already mentioned it and I've missed it, but a friend tells me (I'd forgotten) that there is a Stude. in the Ealing Studios commedy "The Lady Killers" with Peter Sellers.
Peter.

big jim
07-02-2005, 10:40 AM
steve that is a 57 hawk in that scene at least on the tape i have that is whats there

steve_smith54
07-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Jim,

Thanks for clarifying that. I just caught a glimpse of the car because I was doing something else and only half watching the film. By the time it registered in my brain that the car was a Studebaker, the scene was over. I'm surprised I didn't notice the Studebaker when I saw the film in the theater when it was first released. I guess I was just young and dumb back in 1978. The difference is that now I'm old and dumb. In any case, my curiousity has been piqued and I will have to rent the film so I can get a good look at the car. I have a model of a '57 Golden Hawk.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by big jim

steve that is a 57 hawk in that scene at least on the tape i have that is whats there

steve_smith54
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I have a film that will fit the original intent of this post to a tee. The 1955 Horror/SciFi film Bride of the Monster produced by Edward D. Wood Jr. would probably qualify as a rotten horror movie. In this film the character Professor Vladimir Strowski (George Brecwar) drives up in a 1950 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe to pay an unwelcome visit to Dr. Eric Vornoff (Bela Lugosi). Because I do not know my cars from the 30's (Studebakers or others) nearly as well as cars from the 50's I am not sure of the latter, but the car the character Janet Lawton (Loretta King) drives may be a late 1930's Studebaker. As I said I am not sure of the latter.

A small added bonus is that actress Dolores Fuller, who plays a smaller role in the film and is the former girlfriend of Wood, was born in South Bend Indiana.

Andy
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
I rented the DVD "Ray" (Ray Charles story) last week and was amazed that the car he drove from the church in was a 1951 Landcruiser. I have a 51' Landcruiser and I am starting to restore it. It was great to see it in a movie.

steve_smith54
07-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Another member had also mentioned that a Studebaker appeared in the film "Ray", but was not sure of the exact year and model. Sometimes we only get a glimpse of a car in a film. You have a sharp eye. I have heard it was a good film anyway, so this is an additional reason to rent it.

S_Ferrell
07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by steve_smith54

I have a film that will fit the original intent of this post to a tee. The 1955 Horror/SciFi film Bride of the Monster produced by Edward D. Wood Jr. would probably qualify as a rotten horror movie. In this film the character Professor Vladimir Strowski (George Brecwar) drives up in a 1950 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe to pay a visit to Dr. Eric Vornoff (Bela Lugosi). Because I do not know my cars from the 30's (Studebakers or others) nearly as well as cars from the 50's I am not sure of the latter, but the car the character Janet Lawton (Loretta King) drives may be a late 1930's Studebaker. As I said I am not sure of the latter.

A small added bonus is that actress Dolores Fuller, who plays a smaller role in the film and is the former girlfriend of Wood, was born in South Bend Indiana.

You picked one of my favorite rotten movies. The late 1930s car that Loretta King drives is a 1938 Caddy sedan. Ed Wood laid on the roof with a garden hose to simulate rain on the windshield.

S_Ferrell
07-27-2005, 03:52 PM
I was watching Bullit the other night. In that great chase, a 1962 Lark Cruiser taxi clears an intersection just before Steve McQueen drives through it.

mbstude
07-29-2005, 05:37 PM
The Majestic, a movie about fixinup an old Theatre, has several scenes with a blue 51, with outside visor.

studeclunker
07-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Well... here's another. And from a genre you probably would'nt expect! How about the Iron Giant? I was watching it tonight just for giggles (I get a real kick out of it). And noticed two scenes including bullet noses. I did rewind and freeze frame and am sure they are studes. The rear does'nt look right. Then again, I'm no expert.

Funny thing is that the story supposedly takes place in 1957 and they have a '59 Caddie in the junk yard that the kid plays in.[?] But hey, it's just a movie.;)

The first stude appears in the scene where the giant pretends to be part of the bill board while McChoppin (beatnick/artist) tows away an abandoned car (bullet nose #1). The second is in the junk yard. The giant is feeding on junk cars and bites into the front end of a bullet nose and the horn goes off.:D:D:D:D:D

Sigh... Yes, I like cartoons.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

mbstude
07-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Oh yes, I remember that one. How sad it was for him to bite the bullet. But then again, it was just a cartoon.

studeclunker
07-31-2005, 06:37 PM
"Bite the bullet?" Oh boo ha ha!

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Studeclunker

mbstude
07-31-2005, 07:04 PM
It kinda just popped into my head as I was typing it.

Matthew Burnette

thom
08-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Not used in a movie , but an interesting note... Some one here in North Carolina bought a Studebaker that had belonged to the lady who played Aunt Bee on the Andy Griffith Show . I believe the car was a 66 four-door . I think it was sold after her death at an estate auction .I saw it displayed at a show about ten years ago . Anybody remember the Studebaker in American Graffiti that the girls were riding in when John Milner tried to pick them up ? I think it was a 55 C coupe , white with a rose colored top as I remember .

thom

thom
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Please excuse my last post . Someone had already mentioned the Mayberry studebaker who knew more of the details than I did . I had not read page 2 before jumping in . Sorry .

thom

ladysilverhawk
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm playing catch up here but did no one notice the highly custom Starliner complete with[:0] dead guy in the trunk and driven by Jonny Depp in "Once upon a time in Mexico?"

LadySilverHawk
55 President
58 Silver Hawk
62 Champ Longbox

studeclunker
09-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Did Starliners come with a dead guy in the trunk?[:0] Eeeeewwww![xx(] That must have put off sales!

Sorry, I could'nt resist!

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

S_Ferrell
09-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Over the weekend, I caught "CryBaby" with Johnny Depp. It was made by John Waters in 1988. It came on the heels of his first general audience movie,"Hairspray" Anyway, it takes place in 1954. Two characters have their kids taken and put in an orphanage. They show up and steal the kids and make their getaway in a perfect 1952 Convt, the same model that paced the Indy 500 in 1952.

Studedude1961
09-12-2005, 06:20 PM
A 1951 Studebaker sedan apparently had a starring role at this year's Nebraska State Fair. The August 23 Omaha World-Herald had an ad for the fair that pictured a Buddy Holly-looking fellow and a 1951 Studebaker Sedan. This duo was billed as "Stanwood Sparrow & The Nerd Mobile." The other star was "Rock-It Robot." The Nebraska State Fair has been on the skids for years. Wonder why?

Studedude1961
--1963 Cool Cruiser

ladysilverhawk
09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I caught a movie on cable this weekend called "Inventing the Abbots" which had a 50 or 51 Studebaker playing a prominent role.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, Dragon Fly
58 Silver Hawk, Dragon Hawk
62 Champ Longbox, Dragon Tail

ladysilverhawk
09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Gheesh - how could I forget the cartoon Studebakers in 'The Incredibles’? There were at least 3 a little stylized but very recognizable. It's late and I must be tired.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, Dragon Fly
58 Silver Hawk, Dragon Hawk
62 Champ Longbox, Dragon Tail

52hawk
09-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Stanwood Sparrow is with the Calhouns.The Calhouns are a family of Studebaker nuts-their mobile stage is mounted on a 47 Stude truck.
They have 2 albums out with all Studebaker songs.GReat stuff!! One of the songs is about that 47-called 12 Dollar Truck.[thats what the truck sold for at auction-true story!]
I think they were playing at that fair.They have played at 1 or 2 Stude Internat meets--

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

52hawk
09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
'Dude,I'm not sure where they live-- got all my info from their website .CD says they are represented by Cherokee Productions in Cushing.. Google Jim and Chris Calhoun to find their websites,I don't have it handy. I've got 4 of their records,a good change from the non-descript crap on the radio now days.They've got a big fan here in Illinois!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

65cruiser
09-25-2005, 04:42 PM
I was watching TV the other night when a NY Life commercial came on the tube. It showed a town evolving from the 1800s to the present. When it hit the 50s era, a bullet nose cruised by.

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/smstude.jpg

mbstude
09-25-2005, 07:46 PM
In my High School Biology class we watched a sci-fi movie called "Gattaca". The movie is set far ahead in the future. All the cars, and there are a lot of street scenes, are 63, round head light Avantis. While watching the movie, I yelled, "My grandma has a Studebaker like that". Let's just say that I am the only kid in school who knows what an Avanti is...
(even my elderly teacher didn't know what a Studebaker is)

Matthew Burnette
http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg
63 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
lotsa parts too
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

fh929
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
There is a white G.T. in the si-fi "black moon rising " It is parked at the home of the car thief. not sure what year it is.

BigB
09-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi friends!
In Germany we had a chart show on TV (in the 1980's) that was called "Formel Eins" (so in english it would be "Formula One"). On the advertisements for the show and in the studio as a background decoration there was a 1950/51 Bullet Nose in a quite bright color. :D
I found a homepage in the internet on which you can see a shot.
http://www.juergen-michaelis.de/die-musiksendung-der-80-ziger-jahre.html

Bjoern

mbstude
09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Yep, definetley a 50 Champion. BTW, I love your 49 Starlight! Nice color for a car like that!

Matthew Burnette
63 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
lotsa parts too

BigB
09-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi MBSTUDE!
Thanks a lot for that compliment. But I also have to tell you, that the paint job is quite bad (I bought it in that deep blue in No-Cal and shipped it to Germany).[8)]
At the moment I have to earn some money to give him fresh paint. And this may take a while... Life in Germany can be very, very expensive... especially the visits to the Gas Stations. ;)

BR,

Bjoern

mbstude
09-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I still think it's a very pretty car. I want one like that some day.
We have a 51 Chapion Starlight coupe. It's BRIGHT yellow. (see the pic?). I wouldn't worry about paint, just drive it! That's what we do...

Matthew Burnette
63 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
lotsa parts too

S_Ferrell
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I was channel surfing the other night and I came upon the parking lot scene of "Grease". Rizzo and her girlfriend are leaning against the back of a 1949 sedan, there is a nice shot of the back and the right quarter.

S_Ferrell
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I also remember that a 1957 Champion Sedan had a reoccuring role on "Chico and The Man."

mbstude
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
I saw Grease the other day. Rizzo's car is a 48-49 Commadner 4-door. Nice car too! At the beginning of the movie it shows the front. BTW, wasn't the're a 51 sedan in Grease 2? I can't remember.

Matthew Burnette
1963 Lark Daytona HT (6 cylinder, auto trans)
lots more Studes
lotsa parts too

steve_smith54
10-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I will have to watch Grease again to see if there are any other Studes besides Betty Rizzo's car. It was a nice car except for the color. I am not a fan of pink as a color for any car. I suppose it was pink because Rizzo was a member of the Pink Ladies.

mbstude
10-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, it was a nice car, but I'll agree, I didn't like the color either. There is a guy in my town that has a Peptol Bismal pink Lark 4 door...

Matthew Burnette; the world's most
dedicated 15 year old Stude nut!
1963 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
and a few parts cars

bonehead007
10-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Watched Tin Men with Richard Dreyfus & Danny Devito..Caddys have the starring role but, there are quite a few cameo appearences by Hawks & Larks...

S_Ferrell
10-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I was watching a 1960 episode of "Surfside 6" last night. Two of the characters were talking in front of the Fountianbleu Hotel when a couple pulled up in a new 1960 Lark sedan. The doorman even helped them with their luggage.

n/a
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Last night I was watching "my Dog skip" and in the last couple minutes of the movie in the bus-stop scence the camera scans down the road and parked is a green 47-49 Studebaker champion.

Kent

sumf
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
You remind me of "The Touchables" (1968, UK) that features an Avanti, four girls and one guy.
Three thumbs down! (The Avanti looks great in some arty shots outside their pad, though.)

quote:Originally posted by Peter in London

I just remembered that when I was 17 (as a "stand in" for the crook) I drove our '55 Champion sedan as the getaway car in a school Film Society production - I think that its pretentious, Latin title may have been "Ut Proficias". It was never released, of course.

I was to drive as fast as possible past the cameraman, but the narrow, country road available did not have a very long straight section. I made repeated runs, starting at the very furthest limit possible and floored the gas pedal - and yes, the auto started in first gear, I am sure. I think that I achieved about 60mph at the critical moment - great fun! (There were no out-of-town speed limits in the UK in those days.)

Miscreant at Speed.[}:)]

JeffDeWitt
10-19-2005, 08:45 PM
In the TV show "Crime Story" a few Studes show up, most notably a finned Hawk driven by one of the bad guys. There is a nice long scene where he drives the car from Chicago to Joliet, a bunch of great shots, including a view through the windshield.

The show is being run on the American Life network.

The Lark in Goldfinger is really in Fort Knox, Oddjob is driving an about to be deceased mobster to a crushing end. I've got a still shot of that on my computer at work.

Jeff DeWitt

bondobilly
10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
One movie where Studebaker played a big part was CRY BABY with Johnny Depp.

Bill

63larkr1
10-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Back when they filmed the movie "A Rage in Harlem" in Cincinnati they used our 1956 Golden Hawk. It was only in the movie sitting at the curb as the stars drove past. We got to be on the set and watch as they filmed some of the movie. They cut most of the shots of our car. The director took a personal interest in the car and showed me around the set.
Richard

marquemarc
10-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Rotten Horror Movies? You mean "B" movies. I've been a fan of B Horror Movies since I was a kid. In fact, as a kid, a friend and I made Horror Movies of our own with a 8mm camera. I kind of miss the old black and white Horror films. It's getting close to Halloween, I bet there will be Horror Movies on cable/satelite TV.

studeclunker
10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Was watching The Shadow yesterday, and there were a number of shots with some 36 to 39 stude sedans. Also, in the movie Forever Young there is a Coupe-Express parked outside the diner when the girlfriend gets kacked.

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
The movie "Rainman" featured a spot where Raymond "Rainman"(Dustin Hoffman) spotted a '57 Golden Hawk on the road while riding with his brother (Tom Cruise), after which the "Rainman" spewed a tremendous amount of information about the car off the top of his head. It's my opinion this was one of the best exposures any Studebaker has had in film or TV, and it may have drawn some non Stude types to the Hawk.

While watching "Wayne's World II" the other night, I spotted a '59 or '60 Lark Wagon at the gas pumps. This is in a scene where Wayne (Mike Meyers) stops at a gas station for directions to his girlfriend's place. He comes out of carachter, and complains about the low quality of the no name actor that talks to him in the scene. The actor ends up being replaced by Charlton Heston. All with the green Lark Wagon in the background.

StudHawk60
10-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Actually, Tom Cruise is the one who spots it and gives the details. Just the same, it's good to see Studebaker get some positive spotlight time.[:p]

S_Ferrell
10-31-2005, 09:35 AM
I was watching, "The Day the Earth stood still" the other night. It is from 1951. There is a great shot of a 1949 Coupe being turned away at a roadblock.

steve_smith54
10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Perhaps the 1949 Coupe belonged to Frances Bavier. Although we know her best as Aunt Bee on the Andy Griffith show, Ms. Bavier had roles in a number of films including "The Day the Earth Stood Still". There are some earlier posts on this topic regarding Ms. Bavier's preference for Studebaker automobiles, so it is at least remotely possible the car appearing in this film was her personal automobile.

I was watching, "The Day the Earth stood still" the other night. It is from 1951. There is a great shot of a 1949 Coupe being turned away at a roadblock.

Roscomacaw
11-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Has anyone noticed the recent ads for Capital 1 credit cards? Specifically, the one where the pillagers are shown being forced to take new, mundane jobs since (supposedly) so many folks are switching to Capital 1.
In the one ad, it opens with one of the huns standing in a pumpkin patch while he laments his and his fellow pillager's plights. If you look to the left of the screen, there's what APPEARS to be a Coupe Express parked there. I'm not totally sure it's a Coupe Express but it sure looks like one in the few seconds you can see it![:0] At the end of the ad spot, you get a glimpse of it once again. Jeff??? What say ye? CE or something else?[?]:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

mbstude
11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I caught a small glimpse of that truck in the commercial. I "thought" I ssaw a Champ, but it went by so fast I really couldn't tell. At least we both agree it's a Studebaker though...

1963 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
and a few parts cars

Roscomacaw
11-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Nah, it's got alot smaller rectangular rear window, like the CEs had. I was hoping our resident CE expert (Mr.Deepnhock) would chime in that he's seen the ad in question and confirm or dash my suspicions.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DEEPNHOCK
11-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I haven't been watching much TV lately, and commercials make my remote finger twitch[:0]
I'll keep an eye out for the commercial..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Has anyone noticed the recent ads for Capital 1 credit cards? Specifically, the one where the pillagers are shown being forced to take new, mundane jobs since (supposedly) so many folks are switching to Capital 1.
In the one ad, it opens with one of the huns standing in a pumpkin patch while he laments his and his fellow pillager's plights. If you look to the left of the screen, there's what APPEARS to be a Coupe Express parked there. I'm not totally sure it's a Coupe Express but it sure looks like one in the few seconds you can see it![:0] At the end of the ad spot, you get a glimpse of it once again. Jeff??? What say ye? CE or something else?[?]:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Roscomacaw
11-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Ya hafta catch it quick, Jeff. It's right there - as the ad starts. And then again at the VERY end you get a glimpse, on the left of the screen, looking from the right rear of the truck, forward.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

aenthal
11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
My own 1952 Land Cruiser did a movie, "The Trouble with Lou," when I first bought it.
As of yet, that movie still hasn't gotten distribution. Someday it will.
Though a 1958 Edsel has the starring role in it, my car gets to slam on its brakes very dramatically, and almost hit this Lou guy, as he runs across a street without looking. It goes to the High School prom in that film too.

My Studebaker was also in "The Yellow Bird" (directed by Faye Dunaway, and sent straight to cable with no theatrical release).
I have no idea what my car did in that movie (I think just park outside the the soda shop) because the crew that shot it was so disorganized, I left the car, its keys, and went home. I came back to Warner Studios and picked it up a couple days later.

Neither of those are horror movies, but they are Studebakers in films.

imported_n/a
11-06-2005, 03:20 PM
There's a 53 stude parked on the street next to the clock tower in "Back To The Future".

Bob F.

mbstude
11-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Has anyone ever seen the series "Trucks!"? They once did a special on a hot rod C-cab. It was a nice truck; for a hot rod...

1963 Daytona HT
lots more Studes
and a few parts cars

pn64hawk
11-09-2005, 02:09 PM
new to your forum. just reading the topic of studebakers in movies and thought i might get some help here. i own a 64 hawk that was driven in movies by rock hudson,ray milland and david niven ( or so the paper that came with it from movie land auction says). it didnt say what movies so i'm trying to find out any help would be appreciated. thanks. sorry for the long question.

DilloCrafter
11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Has anyone ever seen the series "Trucks!"? They once did a special on a hot rod C-cab. It was a nice truck; for a hot rod...

Matthew, do you know approximately when that Trucks! episode aired? I can't find it by doing a search at the show's website: http://www.truckstv.com/shows.aspx, not even when using Google to search their site.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup (image link below)
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/currentstate.jpg

loc8tor
11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
In the movie HOTROD there is a studee pickup driven by a friend of the star of the movie who drove a hemi powered willys coupe

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

aenthal
11-12-2005, 09:26 PM
pn64hawk:
There is no way to know what your car was actually in. You can look at DVD's of those movies and try and find it. Maybe it was in those. Maybe it wasn't.

I have documented proof that my own 1952 Land Cruiser was a Universal Studios picture car and sold off in the 1970's auction, when they discontinued their automotive stable. I'm sure it is parked on the background in many Universal movies and TV shows, but I will never know what.

52hawk
11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
I finally saw the tail-end of the Credit card ad Mr Biggs referred to.The truck appears to have a raised,1&1/2" or so, belt line around the cab,which the CE doesn't have[painted black]cool truck,but I think,brand-x.

Home of the Almostahawk

52hawk
11-12-2005, 10:28 PM
And I bet it's got a SBC in it!!!

Home of the Almostahawk

DilloCrafter
11-12-2005, 11:48 PM
This probably doesn't count (I know it doesn't), but do you remember in the late 1970's a TV mini-series of the book "Wheels", starring Rock Hudson? They took an AMC Javelin, did a lot of clay work on it, and presented it as the fictitious automobile corporation's latest hot car, called the "Hawk". Once again, somebody stealing some idea from Studebaker just because the company was not around anymore.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif

steve_smith54
11-18-2005, 01:17 AM
I just watched Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) on video. In a scene toward the beginning we see Count Yorga's coffin being transported in the back of a truck. As the truck is going through traffic we catch a glimpse of the back of a 1960s, maybe 1963 Hawk. As a "B" horror film, I think this would fit the original intent of the post fairly well.

KevinSheen
11-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Maybe its just me but... Has anyone else noticed these new Kia Amanti's? I think the grill is very Lark-like and the general exterior styling is a '50's throwback. Then again, it could be just me. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

52hawk
11-18-2005, 08:06 AM
The first time I saw an ad for the Kia Amanti,I actually thought it was a Hawk. 'Bout snapped my neck to get a good look at the tv!
There is still some thing about that Kia front end that says 'Studebaker' to me...

Home of the Almostahawk

KevinSheen
11-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who noticed the Stude styling. I was just reading in the Stude Stories page, a story by Mike Whitby, in which he mentions that the car he was writing about was in a film by Mick Jagger called "Enigma". Very well written story too! Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Transtar60
11-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Saw a Charles Bronson flick other night on TV.
Called "Telefon", spy movie sorta. In a scene where Charlies chasing a bad guy he stands in front of Lark parked behind him, it has no tailight lenses, soon after Charlie shoots the bad guy and his car wrecks and blows up.(typical movie<G>)

whacker
11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Has anybody mentioned "Fright Night" or Fright Night 2" with Roddy McDowell as a saturday night horror movie TV host? He drives a Lark in both shows, and there a a lot of scenes with the Lark in them. Just a car to them, but the only reason for me to watch the show!

kmul221
12-17-2005, 07:16 PM
There was a movie with Brooke Shields & Peter Fonda (I believe) Brooke was in her very early teens.The whole movie more or less takes place in or around a 50 or 51 Starlight coupe.I remember the car because it had the optional venetian blind type window shades.The name "Wanda Nevada" comes to mind.It was either her character or the name of the flick.Does anyone else remember this one ?

steve_smith54
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Sunday night (05/28/06) I was watchng an episode of Stark Trek Enterprise in which some Vulcans went to earth in the 1950s for some type of study. There were a couple of street scenes in which there was a red 1950 Champion starlight couple parked. They actually showed a good front and side view of the Studebaker. It was very nicely restored.

Transtar56
05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
" There is still some thing about that Kia front end that says 'Studebaker' to me..."
I knew there must be a reason Ive always had a thing for Kias (G)
Well,actually just the Sorento,I don't know jack about the rest of the fleet,but I too have admired the Amantis front end,even though it caused me to think"Jaguar"

stude53
05-30-2006, 06:36 PM
HEY S...

I watch for Studes in every movie I see (can't help it!)and I've seen all the ones mentioned so far. Two that I think haven't been mentioned in sci-fi genre are Gattica (Avantis everywhere) and Back To The Future (in entire series) there's a 53 C/K parked on the right of the street that the Delorean goes down to go to the future.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

stude53
05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
OOPS!

After reading all the posts more carfully (pun intended), I see that others had mentioned the above movies I named.

I'll give it some more thought and get back to ya!

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

mbstude
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Was watching October Sky the other day. A movie from the 's abut the first days of rocketry. A group of kids hitch a ride on the back of a M series 1 ton flatbed to their launch site. One of my dream cars, a 1945 Stude M15 with C9 cab... (flip out windshield)

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Guido
05-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Not a horror movie, but in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" Cary Grant transports his belongings from the city to the country in 2 M-16 moving vans. You have to be quick as they are only on the screen for a few seconds.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"

55Studebaker
05-31-2006, 01:03 AM
well one little known show that only aired a few episodes on Fox was 'Wonder Falls' and the main character drove a '64-'65 Cruiser

'49 R Series pickup in Armageddon during the 'President's anouncment about the meteor'

check out this link from the Internet Movie Cars Database has a lot of pics of the Studes in movies, but not a complete one though:
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=studebaker&model=&page=3

Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor
1955 Studebaker President Street rod
1960 Studebaker Lark 6 (project)
1971 Avanti II (For Sale)
1978 Plymouth Super Coupe (For sale in the near future)
1978 Dodge Super Coupe (For Sale)
1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Survivor (For Sale)

www.listudebaker.com

stude freak
06-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I was up late last night and caught the tail end of a movie called "MISCHEIF" .The lead character was a young boy n he was driving a 50/51 2dr bullet nose coupe.He tollally destroyed a 55 chev.conv with the stude.I gotta check the schedule n see if i can watch the whole movie .

Laemmle
06-16-2006, 08:51 PM
The great film The Sweet Smell Of Success with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis has Hawks all over the place...in the opening credits a '56 Golden Hawk is sceen driving in and out of the frame...a great film and great cars!

Laemmle
06-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Keven Spacey in the film LA Confidential drives a Loewy Coupe...

JBOYLE
07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotti210
the 1st superman w christopher reeves

Yes, it's a black Hawk at Smallville High School 26 minutes into the film.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

stude freak
07-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Watched a James Stewart movie other night called "THUNDER BAY" Jim n Dan Duryea was walking alond a dirt road in Louisiana and was picked up by Gilbert Roland in a 40s model Stude pickup.

redvoyager
07-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I was watching Myth Busters today and they showed an Avanti doing speed runs in the Nevada desert. I can't remember the guy who drove it (famous). They said it was the fastest prod car made and was clocked at 241 MPH

Norm
58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

bondobilly
07-02-2006, 12:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Justin53

Years ago I remember reading in Old Cars Weekly about a movie wherein many bulletnose Studes were wrecked.
Thanks for any info,
Justin

That was a movie with Prince, and a few other rock groups, the entire film was shot on the Chicago Elevated railway, and back in Hollywood where they built four blocks of elevated structure. The police cars were 50 four doors, two still reside on the back lot at Disney World.

Batman Forever used two New York cars for the exterior shots, and duplicated them out in Hollywood. One NY car was repainted back to its original color, the other is owned by Bill Mayer, and is still in the Gotham Paint scheme. The movie company gave him all the lights the mounted on the car, and he still drives it with GOTHAM plates on it. We got stuck in a traffic jam with him a few years ago on the NY State thruway. One guy got out of his car and walked over to the "police" car and demended he do something about the jam.

When we stopped for gas, a woman came over and asked him, how far GOTHAM was from here.

bondobilly
07-02-2006, 12:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

One movie where Studebaker played a big part was CRY BABY with Johnny Depp.

Bill

Yes and it was Max Corkins car.

My old 47 Starlight coupe was in four commercials back in the 60's, and in the God Father. The guy who owned, a HS principal from NJ made a lot of money renting the car and himself out as the driver. $250 a day.

GhostMuppet
07-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Ummmm, Folks, The Muppet car is now on display in the new museum. Start saving now and you might make it to the national in South Bend in 2007. I know I am working on it.The car sat in a storage lot for about 2 years after they finished filming. It was then dragged across Compton and some of the even less than nice parts of L.A. to Alhambra Cal where it sat in a "rustic gargage" for about 12 years. It was then placed beside a garage, about ten miles away in El Monte Cal. It took a very near death, battle with cancer for the guy who had controll over it to finally let the process of getting it accepted by and transported to the museum. So after 22 years it found a good home. As you might be able to tell I was involved very closely with this car. I hand make custom mosaics and large percentage of the money from them goes into a saving I have for the restoration of the car. I was given a "big ballpark figure" for the restoration using the museums people. I feel the price given is out of line; but I will not allow my personal feelings to get in the way of preserving this key part of history. That sort of bulls--t cost the car 22 years the last time.I should have three more studebaker mosaics done by the end of the year (06). If you all have an interest in this sort of thing, my e-mail is studestan@yahoo.com

stude53
07-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey GhostMuppet,

Got any pictures of your mosaic work?

Love to see it.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

bondobilly
07-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Here are the two GOTHAM poice cars on location in Manattan undre the Municipal building.

http://www.bondobilly.com/gotham1.jpg

glen
07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Another sighting....."Nixon" staring Athony
Hopkins....when the then "citizen" Nixon, is
introduced to a group of "Texans", at a fund
raiser in 1963, it is at a car show featuring
the new Avanti and the new Hawk for 1963....
Have to catch it quicky as the cars are only
in the scene for a very few momemts.

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

65cruiser
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
This weekend I was watching some old Andy Griffith episodes from the Season two DVD. This was episode #57 "Andy and Barney in the Big City". In the opening shot, they show the "big city" and driving right down the street is a 59-60 4 door Lark. My wife thought I was nuts when I jumped up and said "there goes a Studebaker":D. Most all the cars on Andy Griffith were supplied by Ford Motor Company, and aside from a 59 Chevy that makes an appearance from time to time, I've never seen a Studebaker on there (although Francis Bavier owned one in real life).

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/Logo1.jpg

stude freak
07-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Turned on the TV yesterday "the western channel"A Movie called "MURPHYS ROMANCE" was on starring James Garner and Sally Fields.He has what he calls a 27 just as nice as it rolled out of South Bend. It has a vase for flowers inside as he points out to a young boy.He drives it a lot during the whole movie

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

starlightchamp
07-11-2006, 08:00 PM
"It Happened to Jane".
Doris Day, Ernie kovacs
Good Flick about a Maine single lady thar sells lobsters, Railroad leaves them to die on a siding during shipping , she sues and away we go . Really a good movie with a beautiful
red, 1950 Champion convertible driving her lawyer around.

1950 Champion Starlight
1963 Hawk GT
Santa Barbara
CA

JBOYLE
07-11-2006, 08:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Turned on the TV yesterday "the western channel"A Movie called "MURPHYS ROMANCE" was on starring James Garner and Sally Fields.He has what he calls a 27 just as nice as it rolled out of South Bend. It has a vase for flowers inside as he points out to a young boy.He drives it a lot during the whole movie

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

My wife's favorite film (and one of mine)...and James Garner is always great. I knew Garner's character had an old car, but I'd forgotten it was a Stude...and in real life, Garner's a big car guy.

Guys go out and rent it...it's not as sappy as the title might imply...your wife/girlfriend will like it and it has a Stude!

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

glen
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Another Stude sighting....was just watching "True Confessions"
staring Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall. The Monsignor, played
by Robert DeNiro, is shown exiting a 1950 or 1951 after playing
a round of golf.

Glen Brose
Chino Valley, AZ
53 Champion Tudr Sedan

mbstude
07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
quote:Turned on the TV yesterday "the western channel"A Movie called "MURPHYS ROMANCE" was on starring James Garner and Sally Fields.He has what he calls a 27 just as nice as it rolled out of South Bend. It has a vase for flowers inside as he points out to a young boy.He drives it a lot during the whole movie

"Nuthin' like lookin' at life through the windshield of a 1927 Studebaker". [8D]
I think that's the same movie...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. Hazlehurst, Georgia
63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/rainyday.jpg

bradnree
07-17-2006, 01:46 PM
A movie will be released on October 13, 2006 "Infamous"
filmed near Atchison Kansas. Watch for a Studebaker. For more info. and updates use a search engine like Yahoo to: www.studebu.tripod.com

Dwain G.
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I watched (part of) a movie 2 or 3 months ago. Can't remember the name, may have had Kevin Costner in it. The star went to a farmer's field to investigate some sort of ufo landing and/or crop circles. Farmer was driving a nice looking 2R pickup. Two 'agents' started chasing them around the field, and of course the truck ended up getting rolled several times.

Dwain G.

Dwain G.
07-17-2006, 03:12 PM
One of my favorites is 'It Conquered the World', 1956 B/W, starring Peter Graves and Lee VanCleef and two 1956 Studebakers. A President sedan and a Pinehurst Wagon. Not just a quick glimpse either; they are seen extensively in the last half of the movie.

Dwain G.

mbstude
07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
The World's Fastest Indian. Has a 53 coupe hitting the Salt Flats in Bonneville.

63 Daytona HT (project, OHV 6 engine, soon to have dual exhaust)
51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g>)
MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
Click my name and check out "Links".

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/rainyday.jpg

Kurt
07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't believe any one has mentioned these: There is a C body coupe in one scene of Dirty Dancing. Also in the Mini series The Thorn Birds the last episode shows an M series pickup truck with a casket in the back carrying one of the characters to the cemetery.

lotsalarks
07-18-2006, 11:37 PM
In the original Terminator, you can catch a very quick glimpse of a Champ in a parking garage while Arnold's character drives by.

Will [8D]

"The Common Sense Car"

pete
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
that old t v program my three sons had an avanti of 1963 supercharged in it and edd the talking horse a 63 lark

showbizkid
07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
I just watched Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown" and there's a quick shot of the exterior of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis with what I am sure is a '58 President hardtop parked out front, fins facing the camera.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 Lark Standard

09-02-2006, 09:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

The World's Fastest Indian. Has a 53 coupe hitting the Salt Flats in Bonneville.

I watched the movie (DVD) last night (highly recommended). I saw one Studebaker on the salt in the movie and one in the extra video past the end of the movie. After the movie I checked my email and I had an inquiry from a man with a land speed race '53 (HIGHLY modified). He wanted to know about the authenticity of fender skirts on a '53. He wanted to enclose the rear wheels for less drag, but apparently the Southern California Timing Association requires that they be an authentic '53 item (they were- I've factory pix of them). Here is the car: http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Salt%201%20025.jpg
BTW- the trailer info on the DVD is really great because it has a lot of footage of the actual Burt Munro (played by Anthony Hopkins in the movie).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

StudHawk60
09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I didn't notice this before, but I just got done watching the Hitchcock film, "North by Northwest", quite a few Studes in the background in alot of the traffic scenes.:D

09-02-2006, 01:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

I didn't notice this before, but I just got done watching the Hitchcock film, "North by Northwest", quite a few Studes in the background in alot of the traffic scenes.:D

In Hitchcock's "Birds" there was a 2R sitting at the gas pump when the birds attacked and caused the gas station to go up in flames.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

8E45E
09-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Will this thread ever die?

As long as they're making movies and old ones are being released on DVD, I'd say 'no'. In the late seventies, Fred K. Fox started 'Studebakers on the Silver Screen' in his column/feature articles, and members still submit entries in TW...

Craig

studegary
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

I watched the movie (DVD) last night (highly recommended). I saw one Studebaker on the salt in the movie and one in the extra video past the end of the movie. After the movie I checked my email and I had an inquiry from a man with a land speed race '53 (HIGHLY modified). He wanted to know about the authenticity of fender skirts on a '53. He wanted to enclose the rear wheels for less drag, but apparently the Southern California Timing Association requires that they be an authentic '53 item (they were- I've factory pix of them).
[/quote]

Fender skirts were factory accessories for 1953 Studebakers. For C/K models they were Rear Fender Shields AC-2350 for $20.50.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

8E45E
09-02-2006, 05:26 PM
After srolling through what others have seen in the movies, I will add that there was a canyon copper '58 Silver Hawk sitting on a side street in "The Jan & Dean Story" where the rear of it is clearly shown. Someone else posted about the white sand '59 Lark in Goldfinger that was sitting at a red light while the blue Lincoln that ended up being crushed went by. I remember it being a 4-door sedan, not a 'coupe'. As far as TV commercials, I remember seeing a Midas Muffler commercial around 1972 showing they will install mufflers on cars no longer made, including Studebaker. A G.T. Hawk was shown driving by in that commercial.

Craig

yorgee
09-04-2006, 06:35 AM
I think it's worth to mention the movie "A Bronx Tale" - Robert De Niro and Chazz Palminteri. One Studebaker Lark appears in few scenes. I'm not sure about the year but I think it's 1960 Lark.

http://www.virtualparking.net/var_uploads/sdc/lark01.jpg

http://www.virtualparking.net/var_uploads/sdc/lark02.jpg

dallastx75208
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Are ther ever any Hawks on film?

quote:Originally posted by yorgee

I think it's worth to mention the movie "A Bronx Tale" - Robert De Niro and Chazz Palminteri. One Studebaker Lark appears in few scenes. I'm not sure about the year but I think it's 1960 Lark.

http://www.4wheelz.net/makes/images/studebaker/lark01.jpg

http://www.4wheelz.net/makes/images/studebaker/lark02.jpg

Yesca
09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
How about "Blaze Starr Goes Nudist"? The famous burlesque star drives to a Florida nudist camp in a yellow '59 Lark convertible.

stude53
09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey Yesca,
Can you loan me your copy of that movie. I'm really interested in yellow convertibles![:o)]

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

studegary
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Yesca

How about "Blaze Starr Goes Nudist"? The famous burlesque star drives to a Florida nudist camp in a yellow '59 Lark convertible.

I guess that is some of that Hollywood slight of hand because the earliest Lark convertible made by Studebaker is a 1960 model <G>.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudeRich
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
It is a 1959 Regal 4dr. 59S or 59V-W6 most likely a Lark VIII, but could be either a VI or VIII.

quote:Originally posted by yorgee

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bondobilly
09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Justin53

Years ago I remember reading in Old Cars Weekly about a movie wherein many bulletnose Studes were wrecked. I think they used them as police cars. This would have been the late 70s or 80s. This bothered me the same way I hate to see monster trucks chewing up cars that will be of interest to enthusiasts a few years after they are merely used cars, but when this movie was made the Studebakers were already recognized and collected.

I know it is not much info to go on, but does anyone know that movie.

Thanks for any info,
Justin
STREETS OF FIRE....... supposedly shot in Chicago. Exterior shots were shot on the CTA, but the Elevated RR Structures and car crashes were done in LA.

BG

http://bondobilly.com./1sdc.jpg Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell

bondobilly
09-05-2006, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

One of the "Batman" movies featured bullet-noses as Gotham police cars. The movie about the Tucker used at least one bullet-nose in a crash scene.[www.bondobilly.com/gotham23.jpg]

www.bondobilly.com/gotham23.jpg

There were four Batman cars, 2 NY, 2 LA. One of the NY cars was repainted back to orginal paint, the other stil remains in Batan Forever livery. It is owned by Bill Mayer who alos has a Gotham police uniform. At a car show a woman came up to him and asked him

" how far is Gotham from here?

http://bondobilly.com./1sdc.jpg Proud owner of the Hawk from Hell

JBOYLE
09-16-2006, 11:36 PM
In the very first scene of the new film about George Reeves Hollywoodland, there is a Lark police car parked in the driveway. Later in there is a blue 50-51-52 (I couldn't see the nose) Starliner coupe...with the black gravel guards.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

mbstude
09-17-2006, 03:56 PM
This thread is like the Avanti. It just never dies!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar_beach2.jpg

kurtruk
09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
What[?] No one has mentioned neighbor Wilson on Home Improvement working on his two tone blue '54(?) coupe[?][?]

I also remember a single episode of Hart to Hart TV show with Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers. They get stuck in Mexico and their only way to "escape" is in a Bulletnose. Probably now available on DVD, but a lot of watching to find it. But it was a major part of the episode.

Wasn't there a scene in Peggy Sue got Married where a Stude zooms by?

KURTRUK
(read it backwards;))

Anne F. Goodman
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok On 8 Simple rules Grandpa is working on a Yellow Hawk.

Mabel 1949 Champion
1957 Silverhawk
1955 Champion
1958 Transtar

mbstude
09-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Check this out: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Studebaker.html?PHPSESSID=3afe0396d3484fce06e12615e3322987

There's even a '59 Scotsman! And who knew that Indiana Jones drove a 1915 Studebaker! [?]

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/1_SDC_avatar_coast.jpg

cabrina
09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Caught a glimpse of a nice green '49 or '50 Studebaker pick-up in "The Spanish Prisoner" on the Indieplex channel last night. Steve Martin and the main character were walking past an open garage housing the good look baby.

JBOYLE
10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
I love resurrecting this topic..

In the new film Flags of our Fathers there is a red bulletnose and towards the end (in a scene set in the mid-60s) a real nice shot of black Lark.

Sorry, no sight of weasels on Iwo Jima...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

bradnree
10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
In the 2006 film, "Infamous" (Truman Capote), just released in October, there may possibly be a '50 green bullet nose in a rural scene. This scene was filmed just west of us (Atchison Kansas) and the owner of the car is a friend. He contacted by the Kansas Film Commission to be in the movie. Most states have a film commission and need cars for films. The majority of the film was produced in Austin Texas. It is very possible that the scene never made it to the movie. I have not seen the movie as it is only available in major cities......Brad

Lenny R2
10-30-2006, 10:30 PM
On the Waltons tv show on hallmark channel they show a 39 or 40
blue studebaker i think not sure what model.

Lenny

bradnree
11-13-2006, 07:45 PM
In the movie "Infamous" (2006) there is a 1957 Hawk and a 1958 sedan according to the Heart of America SDC newsletter. The 1950 Bullet Nose filmed here in Atchison Ks didn't make it to the movie. It looks like those 2 cars may be from Texas. Any Texans out there ???....Brad

bentlee
11-13-2006, 09:01 PM
There is a green hawk used in a lot of the Crime Story series on TV several years back. Reruns have been showing up recently.

Brent Lee

1956 Hawk
12-13-2006, 11:25 AM
There is a Champ pickup in the TV show "The Lost Room." It's showing again tonight on the Scifi channel.
David

Studedude1961
12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
A 1966 Studebaker Lark-type is seen in a few scenes in ANGEL IN MY POCKET (1968) starring Andy Griffith, Edgar Buchanan, Henry Jones and a host of other 1960s-era and before character actors. It's a fun movie about a new minister coming into a town dominated by two fighting families. The film is interesting to car buffs as the minister drives a well-worn 1956 Nash.

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

steve_smith54
12-13-2006, 10:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

In the very first scene of the new film about George Reeves Hollywoodland, there is a Lark police car parked in the driveway. Later in there is a blue 50-51-52 (I couldn't see the nose) Starliner coupe...with the black gravel guards.

The reference to George Reeves sparked a very old memory. As a youngster I watched "The New Adventures of Superman", in which the late George Reeves played the title role. I remember a episode in which a bad guy was trying to murder all the Daily Planet crew. The method by which the bad guy attempted to kill Jimmy Olson (Jack Larson) was by tampering with the brakes and steering in his car so he would crash. The car Jimmy was driving was a '48 to '51 Studebaker. I didn't get a good look at the front, but I could tell from the side that it was in that range of years. Perhaps the car was Jack Larson's actual car. It was old enough to have been a car a young actor could afford.

S_Ferrell
12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Jimmy Olstens car was a 1949 sedan.

steve_smith54
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
It's been confirmed. I must have been a natural born car nut, because even as a kid of ten or less I could tell the car was a Studebaker and I was right about the range of years.

Bill Pressler
12-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow, "Angel in My Pocket"...I remember loving that movie as a kid but haven't thought about it in probably thirty-five years! Of course I loved the Andy Griffith Show, so anything with Andy in it, I would have loved back then! (I even liked the post-Barney, color episodes of the later seasons of the Griffith show.)

There are a couple things I remember about that movie...Andy playing the organ for a "dancer" and turning around and seeing she had done a strip-tease...also two characters named "Nadine" and "Racine". The dopey stuff you remember from your childhood!

I also remember the Nash...I thought those were weird-looking cars, way beyond any Studebakers!

Bill Pressler

Roscomacaw
01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
That'll get your attention![:0]

I'm watching the Today show this New Year's morning and they do a bit on upcoming movies of the year. One's a musical starring John Travolta (heh, I've forgotten the title already, but it's one that's had a life as a stage show and is now gonna go on-screen). They showed a few, tiny clips of it and in the very last snip - there was a gal singing on a sidewalk with a maroon & cream 58 Packard hardtop behind her. No mistaking those double fins![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

BobPalma
01-01-2007, 03:23 PM
:) ALSO coming up in 2007, Biggs, is a movie simply titled Zodiac. We saw the previews when we went to see another movie a couple days ago.

There are a ton of 60s and early 70s cars in Zodiac. :) One is a black (probably) or dark blue (probably not) Gran Turismo Hawk that pulls up to a curb on a rainy night. The driver leans over, rolls down the passenger-side window, and says something to a woman who approaches the right side of the Hawk while it is at the curb. ;)

These were only previews, so I'll bet the car has greater exposure in the movie itself. [:p] Again, the movie is simply Zodiac. BP

CHAMP
01-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Its hard to believe this thread started on 5/16/06 and still going!!! I guess it goes to show that Studebakers have longevity, even as stars!!!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

mbstude
01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Check out this RHD Hawk in La Spagnola. (From Google)

http://www.imcdb.org/images/076/376.jpg

The World's Fastest Indian.
http://www.imcdb.org/images/044/265.jpg

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/Scotsman%20pickup/cool_man_3.jpg

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/

StudeRich
01-01-2007, 07:11 PM
WOW Matt, that's a beautiful GT looking Hawk with '56-'58 type decklid in a right hand drive CONVERTIBLE no less!

But where is the "INDIAN" movie Studebaker? Don't tell me that ugly shovel nosed orange thing actually used to be a pretty '53/'54 Coupe!
UGH! [xx(][xx(]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

mbstude
01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
quote:Don't tell me that ugly shovel nosed orange thing actually used to be a pretty '53/'54 Coupe!
UGH!

'Fraid so. :)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/Scotsman%20pickup/cool_man_3.jpg

rockinhawk
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Anyone seen The Hot Spot? where Don Johnson Drives a 60 hawk, burns down a building,robs a bank,sells used cars.kills a guy, and gets the girl? also the girl in gone in 60 seconds drives a GT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

BobPalma
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
:) Here ya' go, folks; the Zodiac trailer, purloined from Google Groups. The Gran Turismo Hawk appears about 60% of the way through this piece. [:0]

(You have to look quick; the preview shown in theaters gives you a little more time to focus on the Hawk, but it is in here, too:) :D

Enjoy. BP

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/zodiac/

52hawk
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

:) Here ya' go, folks; the Zodiac trailer, purloined from Google Groups. The Gran Turismo Hawk appears about 60% of the way through this piece. [:0]

(You have to look quick; the preview shown in theaters gives you a little more time to focus on the Hawk, but it is in here, too:) :D

Enjoy. BP

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/zodiac/

Look Quicker,very begining,after the city scene with fireworks,then a chevy dash board,see a 62 Lark???[[front end and top side of car visible,with left blinker flashing]

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk

S_Ferrell
01-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Another sighting. I was watching "Rock Around the Clock" with Bill Haily and the Comets. There is a scene where an actor pulls into a motel parking lot. He is driving a 1956 F*** convt. He passes a 1954 Stude two door post coupe and parks next to a 1950 Champ sedan. This will never end.

skyway
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but there was a 1958 sedan used in a Donald Sutherland movie named "A Dry White Season". Its an anti-apartheid story from about 1989, set in South Africa, with the '58 as one of the character's main transportation.

Roscomacaw
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
While watching a PBS review of Art Buchwald last night (he passed away yesterday), there was a brief shot of him on a sidewalk in some big city. Parked at curb's edge was a shiny, dark-colored '53 Studebaker. The clip was too brief to make out what body style it was.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

BobPalma
01-28-2007, 05:30 PM
:) I just scanned this entire thread (didn't make a career of it, so I may have missed something) and didn't see where anyone had mentioned the 1998(?) movie Simon Birch. It looks to have been set in the mid-to-early 1960s.

Therein is extensive nightime, street-scene footage of a 1957 President Classic made up to look like a police car of all things...a President Classic, no less! Black with white doors.

Although the movie characters are walking along the sidewalk, the movie footage is being shot from the middle of the street. [:0]

As a result, the camera shows the front of the President and then slowly pans down the whole side and, finally, the tail of the car to "catch" the characters walking along on the sidewalk in back of the car! Quite a bit of screen time and very clear; the President is actually more prominent than any character for maybe 10 to 15 seconds...a long time by movie footage standards. [^]:D[:0][^]

I didn't watch the whole movie; just caught a couple minutes of it, so there may be more Studes. Also seen was a 1958 Impala hardtop, 1960 Pontiac hardtop, and a 1955 Oldsmobile. 'Had to be many others. BP

Bill Pressler
01-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Yesterday at 9 a.m. EST (Sat. 1/27/07), while flipping the dial I came across a movie on cable channel "FX" which in several of the opening and early scenes within the first fifteen or so minutes of the movie, showed a white '61 Lark Cruiser, inside and out. The movie was set in "Summer 1969". I watched it until I found it unbearable (!), but the setting seemed to be much like "Dirty Dancing"--a '60's Catskill cabin-vacation kind of place with a bunch of people speaking in NY/NJ accents. The wife of the Lark owner is despondent over her husband's generally grumpy outlook and inability to spend the whole week away from work and on vacation with his family, and she finds herself interested in the hippie-type guy who runs a bus with clothing for sale that makes runs up to the cabins area.

Bill Pressler

62champ
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Not sure if anyone put up this link before, but here is a site that lumps these two items together, and includes pictures.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Studebaker.html

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006

65cruiser
02-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I guess I've watched Back to the Future a dozen times or so, but today I noticed something new. There is a Statler Motors Studebaker on the square near the theatre. Interestingly, in the 1985 sequence, there's mention of a Statler Toyota on the radio. Guess the Statler's started selling Toyota's after Studebaker stopped making cars.:D

mbstude
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Also in the Back to the Future movies:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/_1.jpg

Paul Johnson's '53. :D
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/_4.jpg

The billboard...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/_6.jpg

Leonard Shephard's '55 that he had?? [:0]
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/_8.jpg

Look in the pass. side of the windshield... It's the reflection of the rear of a '50 Champ sedan. [8D]
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/_9.jpg

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, Georgia
'59 Scotsman PU
'63 Daytona HT

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/truck_pretty_sky.jpg

65cruiser
05-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Saturday night I went to a car cruise at the Georgetown Drive-In. I drove the Studebaker. Not too many classic cars there that night. Anyway, the first movie was American Graffiti. I kept my eyes peeled for Studebaker's. Besides the 55 that has a prominent spot in the movie, there was also a 62 Lark that if you're not looking you'll miss. It's when Milner and Carol go walking through the junkyard. Through most of the time they're walking and talking, there is a white 62 Lark 4-door sitting in the background right behind them.

JBOYLE
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
In Ed Wood, the Johnny Depp film about the infamously bad film director, a landlord comes calling in a early C/K.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

65cruiser
07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
This weekend we went to the movies and saw "Hairspray". It's a musical set in 1962. Lots of cars in the movie, so my eyes are peeled the entire time. I only saw ONE Studebaker, a 1951 and it was the rear end that you could see.[}:)] However, there were Packards everywhere. There were at least 3 different 58 Packards.

Also, for a movie set in 1962, there was an awful lot of 63 Chevy's. I suppose that's possible depending on the time of the year the movie is set in (that wasn't revealed), but still, a lot of them were running around.

Captain Billy
07-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Late Forty's Jimmy Stewart movie, Thunder Bay, filmed on the gulf coast. The company truck was a Studebaker. Many good shots, in color.

kmul221
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
New release DVD "ZODIAC" the film is long & dull but towards the end one of the suspects is driving a GT Hawk,hard to tell what year it's raining hard & at night,mostly side & roof shots.

JeffDeWitt
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
quote:Also in Back to the Future, there is a green 53/54 Hard Top in several of the street scenes.

Take a harder look, there isn't just that hardtop it's parked across the street from a Studebaker DEALER, and also when Marty is looking at the paper trying to figure out when the heck he is we get just a glimps of an ad that (if I remember right) shows the nose of a 55 and says "Check out the new 55 Studebaker's)!

Jeff DeWitt

52-fan
07-31-2007, 12:35 PM
There was a movie on TV a few years ago about Jan and Dean that included several Studebakers in some of the scenes, but the movie with the most naturally occuring Studebakers that I ever saw was 'Our Man in Havana' that was made around 1956 or 57 in Cuba.I saw a number of Studebakers in the background every time they showed any street scenes.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas

terrymb
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I saw "Hairspray" this weekend too and spotted the Studebaker. I got a kick out of the scene during the song "Welcome to the 60's" of the convertible going down the street, seatbelts dragging out the door, and the kids standing up in the car.

I always notice in period movies most of the cars are perfect!

1952 Commander Starlight

mbstude
07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
quote:Take a harder look, there isn't just that hardtop it's parked across the street from a Studebaker DEALER, and also when Marty is looking at the paper trying to figure out when the heck he is we get just a glimps of an ad that (if I remember right) shows the nose of a 55 and says "Check out the new 55 Studebaker's)!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff, check out my earlier post... ;) (with pics)

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/provingground2.jpg

John Ratliff
07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Did anyone see the movie "Wanda Nevada" on Stars Movie Plex the other night. A real nice '51 Commander Starlight Cpe. Yellow and very sharp. Peter Fonda was driving it. He called it a '50. Had a chase seen with a Chry. product.

John Ratliff
http://static.flickr.com/102/302372902_63249ab71a_m.jpg

JeffDeWitt
07-31-2007, 10:27 PM
quote:Jeff, check out my earlier post... (with pics)

As the immortal Homer would say "D'OH!"

Cool pictures, how did you get the one of the front of the dealership? I never knew about the sign over the drive in either.

Is Lucas a Studebaker fan?

Jeff DeWitt

mbstude
08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
quote:Cool pictures, how did you get the one of the front of the dealership? I never knew about the sign over the drive in either.

I don't remember who,[V] but seems like someone emailed them to me. [8]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/provingground2.jpg

Swifster
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't know if anyone else has been watching the show 'Mad Men' on AMC, but it's set in 1960. Tonight there was a '52 Commander (unknown how many doors) parked across the street from the main characters home. A nice burgundy job, but you could only see the rear or from straight on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

This weekend we went to the movies and saw "Hairspray". It's a musical set in 1962. Lots of cars in the movie, so my eyes are peeled the entire time. I only saw ONE Studebaker, a 1951 and it was the rear end that you could see.[}:)] However, there were Packards everywhere. There were at least 3 different 58 Packards. ...

We went to see Hairspray today. I only caught one '58 Packard, but I did see either two '57s or one '57 twice. And there was a '55 or '56 driving or parked in several scenes. I was suprised at the number of Hudsons and even a Nash Metropolitan.
We really enjoyed the movie, but we both came out of the theater worn out from all the "vigorous" dancing:D. It was too hot to work and the old theater in Martinsburg (WV) has all seats $3 before 6 pm;).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Guido
08-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Too lazy to look back through all the posts, but I was watching Woodstock last night and I thought I saw an early Lark wagon in one of the scenes showing the traffic jams getting there. However, just a couple of spots behind this red wagon was a '63 4 door Lark.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/53/453/1/21/36/2964121360097493054pVJTFL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/57/757/2/88/4/2023288040097493054SEKowB_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/18/19/8/37/21/2050837210097493054IYBJJL_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/559/1/43/57/2876143570097493054jKVhDw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/59/459/2/23/86/2067223860097493054YoeGMx_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/5/18/33/2537518330097493054OgEKcN_th.jpg

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Retired
09-29-2007, 04:07 PM
The Tucker that was damaged while being tested, in the movie "Tucker" was a reworked Studebaker, I believe a Land Cruiser.

DEEPNHOCK
11-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Woke up kind of early Saturday and flipped through the channels to stumble on to the 1938 movie 'Test Pilot' with Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, and Myrna Loy....
In one scene early on they were at the air races and Clark Cable wins (of course!). Right when they are celebrating another competitor crashes his plane and several cars drive up to the wreck, including a yellow '37 Dictator coupe (of course it was yellow, even though the movie is B&W;)).
Saw it again a bit later in a hangar scene for a split second.
Jeff[8D]

studelover
11-03-2007, 07:26 AM
I am surprized that no one has mentioned the 1941 studebaker champion in "The Godfather" just before Sonny was killed at the check point there is a black 41 stude there with the other old cars, then when they get back to theer compound you see it in the court yard. If it was already mentioned then I am sorry, many pages of posts.;)

Studebakers forever!

Andy R.
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
You can see my white '62 Hawk for a few seconds in Shawshank Redemption. It's parked next to the media truck when the feds come for the warden. Certainly not a starring role, but a great movie.

I remember a nice '57-'58 Golden Hawk in a (movie) trailer for "Held Up" starring Jamie Foxx. His gal lost it when he spent his house down payment on the car. Absurd fiction.

"Obsolete" is a highly subjective term.

63t-cab
02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
1978 Superman Movie,I think The Studebaker shown is a 59-61 Hawk.

Joseph R. Zeiger

rbruner
02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I own a Stude and have been Lee Majors' standin. Does that count for anything? [8D]

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/sbruner_2008/641Champ.jpg

Dwain G.
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Watching the 1948 movie 'Naked City' on TCM right now. The detectives are driving what looks to be a '42 Commander.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

51bullet
03-03-2008, 07:59 AM
theres actually a website called Internet Movie Cars Database, and you just type in studebaker, and it will bring up all the movies these cares were used in, and shows a pic of each car. And I did not see anyone metion, the Movie Mask with Jim Carey and his bullet nose.

studeefrek
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
the 1976 movie mischief with john travoltas wife had a 2 door stude as one of the main cars but watch the end they used both a 50 & 51

studeefrek
03-03-2008, 10:40 AM
most of jim careys movies have at least 1 studebaker in them. i wonder if he or someone in production is a fan?

sals54
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I think I mentioned this one before, but I don't know if it was on this thread. In the cartoon movie, The Powerpuff Girls Movie, the professor drives a white Avanti.

tutone63
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
This has probably been one of the best threads I have read. I love this stuff. It is interesting and informative. I have a long list of movies to watch (and some re-watch) now. I have just finished reading all five pages now and thought after all of that trouble I should throw my own hat into the ring.
Being a long time Knight Rider fan, there is an episode from the original series that uses a Champion 50-51? (not sure which year, it was a long time since I actually watched it.) For a replacement for KITT. Believe it. episode 209. The "Knight rider" Car gets stolen, and the thieves take KITT's CPU or "brain" out. The good guys re-assemble the "brain" into a portable container (alot like the old portable 4" tvs back in the eighties) The hero (Michael) then borrows his bosses car to chase down the villain. But shortly after, that car runs out of gas and the first car to pull over is the Studebaker. They then use that car for the rest of the episode until they get the "Knight rider" car back. Of course, they make some fun of it along the way, but it just proves that when all else is gone, you can count on a Studebaker!!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

LarkVIII
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
If you look closely,the uncut original Night of the Living Dead has a 62 or 63 Lark sedan in one of the night scenes

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

bonehead007
03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
I was watching Amazing Stories the other day, an episode entitled , Lane Change..A few minutes into the begining, the driver looks in her mirror and sees she being followed by A Studebaker thatlooks like the one her father used to drive..It looks like a 52 Champion 4 door..

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/bonehead007/MVC-021F.jpg

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

04-10-2008, 09:24 PM

I had mentioned earler that other than my sickness for studes, I also have a sickness for rotten horror movies. Would anyone like to know what movies starred Studes? Just for fun.

Ed Lemanski, a Potomac Chapter member, emailed me to tell of seeing a Studebaker star in an old movie. Here is his report:
"This past week we viewed a 90 minute B/W film from 1954 on the WHT channel. It had a lot of old car scenes. The star, Doug Martin (Peter Graves), drove a 1953 Studebaker Commander Starliner. The car gets extensive showing. In one scene, it gets wrecked into a tree at high speed. And, magically, it is restored perfectly in the next scene. The car is used throughout the movie.
Other prominent cars are a '52 or '53 Nash Statesman 4-door (I never could tell them apart) driven by the FBI agent, a '53 Ford country squire 4-door wagon (no wood sides), and a '53 Mercury Monterey 2-door hardtop.
The movie is typical early fifties with Lone Ranger type music and a Superman plot. Very boring, far fetched, etc., but the cars make it all worthwhile. Watch for it."

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Guido
04-10-2008, 09:59 PM
My wife was flipping through the channels the other night and stumbled on a movie about "Pistol" Pete Maravich (I think titled "Pistol, the Birth of a Legend". In the trailers at the end, a finned Hawk is prominently shown. As we only saw the final scenes, I do not know where else it may have appeared in the movie.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

wolfie
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
If nobody has mentioned them(I didnt read every post)Mr T drove a nice red?lark conv in the A team shows several times and the 53 in Home Improvement,thought it was a land cruiser but saw pics in a post on the web of a commander hardtop.Steve

Johnnywiffer
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Not exactly a starring role, nor one you can see, but...I think most everyone remembers "The man with the action-packed expense account...yours truly, Johnny Dollar." By the middle 50s, it had changed from a half-hour, once to a week format to 15 minute 5-times a week.

On 9-3-56, was the 1st episode of "The Curse of Kamoshek". When Johnny (played by Bob Bailey) gets to the house of Mr. Turnbull, I couldn't believe my ears when he says..."A lithe, clean Studebaker Golden Hawk was parked in the sweeping driveway at the front...." Later he mentions it again by name when a lovely young woman comes out of the house and drives away in it. Later still he mentioins it when she meets him at the train station, driving it. All in all, it seemed like Jack Johnstone, the writer, was enamored with this car or maybe even owned one.

Johnny Dollar is thot of now as just about the last of the OTR programs before TV took over. The Golden Age of Radio.

I think I'm not really giving anything away when I say that the GH driver, DIDN'T do it!

John

Johnnywiffer
04-12-2008, 07:24 PM
By the way, for those interested, beside Wikipedia, http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_Yours_Truly_Johnny_Dollar not only has a good write up on "YT Johnny Dollar", it has free downloads of just about the entire series.

John

Johnnywiffer
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Here is the cover page for that broadcast. Notice a very young Richard Crenna ("The Real McCoys", "Our Miss Brooks") plays Donald (who dies in Egypt--because of the "Curse of Kamashek") and a very well known radio actress, Virginia Gregg, plays Dorothy, the fiancee of Donald and the girl who drove the Golden Hawk.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/YTJD0400a.jpg

John

ClaymoreWW
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Donald played by Dick Crenna - IMDB indicates that actor Richard Crenna would have been 30 in 56. Are they one and the same?

--george

http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore/larkkey.jpg

BobPalma
04-15-2008, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser
Anyway, the first movie was American Graffiti. I kept my eyes peeled for Studebakers. Besides the 55 that has a prominent spot in the movie, there was also a 62 Lark that if you're not looking you'll miss. It's when Milner and Carol go walking through the junkyard. Through most of the time they're walking and talking, there is a white 62 Lark 4-door sitting in the background right behind them.

:) Much as I love American Graffiti, that junk yard scene is one that gives away when the movie was made. In the scene, there are late 50s and early 60s cars stacked on top of one another, waiting to be bailed, as one would expect when the movie was made: They were just old carcasses.

But the movie was set in 1962. In 1962, a salvage yard operator would not have had current and one and two year old cars stacked up liked cordwood junkers. They would have been set out nicely to pick parts from as the newest late-model salvage. [:0]:DBP

Johnnywiffer
04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

Donald played by Dick Crenna - IMDB indicates that actor Richard Crenna would have been 30 in 56. Are they one and the same?

--george

I think it is he. Remember he played Walter Denton on "Our Miss Brooks" in the 50s and sounded like a teenager.

John

DEEPNHOCK
05-25-2008, 08:36 AM
While not Stude related, I had to laugh when I saw this....

Was channel surfing this morning, and they had the movie "The Guns of Navarrone" starring Gregory Peck, David Niven, and a bunch of other stars...

There was a scene where, right after the saboteurs landed, the Germans went on full alert and poured out of their barracks and loaded up on the german troop carrier vehicles.
One of the troop carriers pulled out, and you could read the stamped tailgate...clear as a bell... DODGE
Made my morning;)
Jeff[8D]

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937CEBearfootingArtwithLabelgif-1.jpg http://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpg http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

41 Frank
05-25-2008, 12:10 PM
The new Indiana Jones movie, just out, which plays around 1957 has a Starlight Coupe in the diner scene , could not see what year as it was sort of obscured parked on the street. Its maroon ,or black cherry, depending on what year car it is. By the way, good movie.:)

Warren Webb
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I worked for a port processor in Long Beach in the mid 80's. During that time a studio used our facility on Pier E for 3 nights of shooting. It was a movie starring Anthony Michael Hall & had a 60 Lark ocnvertible as their main car character. The scene they used for our facility was a shootout amoung a group of Chevy & GMC class 5 & 8 trucks. It was neat watching how they set up the trucks to look like they were shot up, although some were damaged lightly (parking lamp lens broken, ect). I cant remember the name of the movie. It was one that you might remember IF you were in it!

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Retired
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
BIX The Movie, 1919 or 1920 Bix Six Tourer. Major roll.
F.I.S.T.S. Silvester Stalone, Rockne at the curb.

Dwain G.
08-23-2008, 03:32 PM
These photos are from a Japanese language film titled "The Bad Sleep Well". B/W, circa 1960, released in US about '63. One of the characters was killed in a train vrs. car collision..........

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/wreck1.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/wreck2.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/wreck3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

BobGlasscock
08-23-2008, 08:37 PM
That should've been illegal even way back then!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

JBOYLE
11-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Time to dust off this ancient thread...

I saw a light colored GT in a street scene in last weeks "Life on Mars" on ABC.
The scene was set in 1973...they seem to do a good job with period cars. The star drives a Chevelle SS...

The show is filmed in NYC...anyone knows who owns th Stude?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

4961Studebaker
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
guess I'll add the Red 50? champion/commander in Indiana Jones kingdom of the crystal skull sighting now, Scene where Indy meets the young man (eventually his son) in the soda shop.

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

JBOYLE
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Currently showing on the cable IFC (Independent Film Channel) is a 1974 Austrailian film:

"The Cars that ate Paris"...a VERY weird film about a small outback town that stages fatal car wrecks to support itself.
A WWII Studebaker Army truck is used in several scenes.

Also seen is a 57-58 Plymouth 4-door and a 59 Chevy painted up like a police car...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Sdude
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
I didn't see mention of Stand by Me. There was a racing scene between a bullet nosed convertable and I think it was a shoebox Ford. By the way, The Studebaker in Ray was a Land Cruiser. Also there was a Studebaker bullet nose in the movie Majestic.

Jon Stalnaker
Editor, Hawk Talks
Karel Staple Chapter SDC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2848527836_6f817c03fc_t.jpg

289stude
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I got a couple,

1974 0r 1975 Death Race 2000, starring Sylvester Stalone, and David Carradine early 50's commander, (bulletnose) it's been modified for the movie.

Also Mid 90's Home Improvement Tim The Toolman Taylor goes nuts over his heighbor Wilson's Nieces' 53'

John

John

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/289stude/transtar3-1-2.jpg