PDA

View Full Version : Gravely question

bob40
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Tonight I ended up with a Gravely 430 Commercial.What I know about Gravely stuff is what I have read here.A little research makes me think it is of '68-71 vintage.I took it trade to save it.Has a mower deck and the engine turns over. Enlighten me,oh wise ones.

rockne10
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Don't know if McGraw-Edison had divested Gravely at that point or not.
What's the Serial Plate say?

Guido
07-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Bob,

I would look to see if it has an Onan engine. If so , the tag should indicate it was built by Studebaker. You might also look to the rear of the shift knobs to see if the Studebaker name is there.

Gary

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

dclewallen
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM
While at a local scrap yard this past Saturday I found a Gravely walk behind bush hog [at least thats what it looked like to me]. It had a Studebaker tag on it. Its in descent shape. Do these things have any value? Are they worth saving? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

N8N
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
IMHO just as useful tools they have value. My grandfather had two Studebaker built Gravelys, one yard tractor and one walk behind mower as you describe. I remember he welded up the rust holes in the walk behind's deck, set it in his yard with a "for sale" sign on it and it was gone within hours. Must have been 20-30 years old and he still got a couple hundred bucks for it.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

289stude
07-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes they have a very loyal following, and are worth some $$ how much often depends on obviously the condition, electric starter conversions, and attatchments. These things were the Bobcats of their day you could hook anything up to one. My favorite was the mosquito sprayer, looked like you added oil to the gas and Smoke just poured out of the exhaust. :D:)

bob40
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Looking at a few Gravely sites I believe it has the Kohler engine.
I'll know more when I pick it up.I now have 5 riding lawnmowers
and only need 1.These things breed worse than Studebakers.

07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by bob40

Tonight I ended up with a Gravely 430 Commercial.What I know about Gravely stuff is what I have read here.A little research makes me think it is of '68-71 vintage.I took it trade to save it.Has a mower deck and the engine turns over. Enlighten me,oh wise ones.

I have a '72 Model 430 and it still says Studebaker on the control deck. It also has an Onan 12 hp engine (unfortunately). They were obsolete engines in the 70s and parts are VERY hard to find, not to mention they weren't a very good engine to begin with. The tractors themselves are great- nothing else is built like Gravelys. Even a 430 weighs at least 1000 pounds- low center of gravity, rear engine, individual wheel brakes, real clutch PTO (no slam-in electric) and solid PTO to the mower deck (no belts except to the blades themselves. There isn't a John Deere or Cub Cadet built that can touch it for durabilityy and quality. Like John said, there are an amazing number of attachments for them, something like 70.
There is a very strong Gravely Club and a Forum- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gravelyclub/ I'm sure someone can tell you exactly what year your is based on the serial number.
Studebaker actually did Gravely dirty. They moved the plant from Dunbar, West Virginia to Clemmons, North Carolina to break the union and they forced Gravely to use Onan engines (since they owned Onan too). Prior to that Gravely built their own cast iron engines that had full flow oiling with an automotive oil filter- truly bulletproof.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Gordy911
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Gravelys are great tractors I have had a commercial 10 since 1971 and a 817kt since 1983. Used them year round when I lived in Michigan then when I moved to Alabama left the snow blowers in the northland but they still cutgrass and till gardens great machines and I have most manual on disk if anyone needs something let me know.

62 GT Hawk
84 vette
31 Ford Pickup
2005 Maxima
2006 CTSV
Gravely 17hp Pro
Gravely Walker 10HP