Avanti help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti help

I have a 63 avanti and i need to know where to check the transmisson fluid and what kind of fluid including brake fluid and what type of oil

The dip stick should be yellow in color & you want to use Ford Type "F" transmission fluid. Check the forum for the history on this topic, you'll find a wealth of info.

Comment

thank you

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
      The dip stick should be yellow in color & you want to use Ford Type "F" transmission fluid. Check the forum for the history on this topic, you'll find a wealth of info.
      than you very much

Comment

A couple "Other" things:
        The Transmission is checked running at SLOW Idle, in Drive, wheels chocked, Parking Brake set.
        Use care, not to let it get away from you!

Valvoline still makes the Ford Type ATF in Type "F" or "FA" which works well in a Stude. but if you do not find that at your parts Store the Dexron II and higher Roman numeral Trans. Fluid can be used with a bit less firmness of shifting.

Brake Fluid is USUALLY the Standard off the shelf DOT3, Dot4 can be added or flushed/Bleed and used.

BUT some Cars may have been converted to Silicone DOT 5, if so you do not want to MIX them. Take out a tablespoon full from the Master Cylinder with a syringe or whatever and put it in a clear container, add around 3 times as much Water and if it SEPARATES it is Silicone Dot 5, use ONLY that.

There are HUNDREDS of posts here discussing the need for ZDDP in Classic Car Oils, one currently about "Oil Additives" and Many under Search word "ZDDP".
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you and i was wondering what type of oil like 5w-30 or 10w-40

Comment

Use NO Oil with a 0 or 5 in it's Weight Number EVER!
            Use 30 Wt., 10W-30, 10W-40, or (20W-50 in Warmer Temps., High Mileage Engine or Summer only).

Valvoline Racing VR1 with ZDDP in the Silver Bottle for street driven Cars comes in 10W-30 and 20W-50 and more.

Here is a Link to more Info on that:
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by dalton View Post
              I have a 63 avanti and i need to know where to check the transmisson fluid and what kind of fluid including brake fluid and what type of oil

Standard or automatic?

Brake fluid: DOT 3 or DOT 4

Engine Oil: Depends on climate/temperature and condition of engine. Equivalent of SAE 10-30 all the way to SAE 20-50. Be sure to add ZDDP for cam/lifter/rocker arm protection that is missing from most modern engine lubricants. Some lubricants such as Valvoline GR-1 Racing Oil however has the necessary ZDDP.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                A couple "Other" things:
                The Transmission is checked running at SLOW Idle, in Drive, wheels chocked, Parking Brake set.
                Use care, not to let it get away from you!

Valvoline still makes the Ford Type ATF in Type "F" or "FA" which works well in a Stude. but if you do not find that at your parts Store the Dexron II and higher Roman numeral Trans. Fluid can be used with a bit less firmness of shifting.
                Make sure the shift lever is in "D" and the parking brake is set as well as the wheels chocked with a warm trans. For the longest time I was checking the level with the trans in "P" and the level looked good. All the time there was a clattery, "boing'y" sound coming from the front of the trans when I would drive. It turns out that once I correctly checked the level I was 1 1/2 pints low and the front pump was running dry.

Comment

The rattling, humming sound in Park and Reverse is the Pressure Regulator Valve chattering whenever the Fluid is Low or the Throttle Pressure adjustment Rod is set incorrectly.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    The rattling, humming sound in Park and Reverse is the Pressure Regulator Valve chattering whenever the Fluid is Low or the Throttle Pressure adjustment Rod is set incorrectly.
                    In my case, the rattling is in drive at low speeds. Top it off and silence. Initially I thought it was what you said but once I went through that (and indeed, it needed attention) and I was fearing the worst (a cracked flex plate) but fortunately I realized that the fluid was too low before I went to the work of dropping the trans.

Comment

Originally posted by dalton View Post
                      Thank you and i was wondering what type of oil like 5w-30 or 10w-40
                      Have you read your PM's? (Notifications at the top of the page)
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                      X