Thoughts on Oil Additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Thoughts on Oil Additives

OK, I guess its a good time to dredge up the topic of oil additives. I agree that some are nonsense snake oil, but a few others out there seem to have theoretical merit. I just dumped in a bottle of Rislone Compression additive into my 259 V8. It "claims" to improve compression resulting in smoother idle and improved performance (horsepower) along with reduced oil burn due to ring wear and / or valve stem seal wear.

My engine has only 59,000 miles on it (never rebuilt). I dumped in a half quart of this stuff and within 20 miles I actually DO notice a marginal improvement, mainly in smoother idle. Since replacing the split rubber hose from the engine head to the line running to the oil gauge, oil consumption has been marginal to nil. I'm hoping that this small consumption will be further reduced.

What is everyone's thoughts on these additives? Yes, some are crappy nothing, but I[m suspecting a few of them may have some merit???????????????

-George-

I have always added a quart of Rislone Original formula to every oil change on any "old" engine which hasn't been rebuilt. It evenualy cleans up all of the varnish and frees everything up...especially hydraulic valve lifters and valve guides...

Comment

I used to use original Rislone with my 63 GT Hawk and thought it did a pretty good job.

Comment

additives

Click image for larger version

Name:	Willie and the boys 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1712986

I used to drive Entertainer Tour buses for about 6 years. I drove Willie Nelson's bus and his diesel generator began to smoke quite a bit. He never had time to take it in to be repaired so, I added a can of restore every time I changed the oil after noticing it. A few hundred hours later and you really couldn't see it smoking anymore and oil consumption went way down, generator went a few more years before he got a new one. I'm not a spokesman for restore, just saying it worked for us----
        sigpic

Comment

my question has always been: what objective, measureable evidence does anyone have of improved engine performance or other. Who can remember the NYC taxi study done years ago on different oils and additives in taxis that drove 24/7 for several years to measure (weigh engine components before and after 2+ years of severe service) engine wear ??? You can probably google the study... but the results were that additives did not affect (+ or -) engine wear.... Further.... as long as the oil was 10W-30 with the ASE burst on the bottle... all these oils performed the same. I can't remember Rislone for sure, but STP and others were a part of the study.

Comment

(it had to be said )
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

For every Stude oil change, I pour in 16 oz. of ZDDP, a quart each of Rislone, Marvel Mystery, STP, and Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I then top it up with regular oil.

Comment

Red Line Engine Oil Break-In additive contains all of the elements that were found in engine oils prior to 1970. 1) 16.9 grams total *ZDDP 8500 ppm 2) 3.9 grams Phosphorus 3) 4.7 grams Zinc 4) 8.3 grams Sulphur (*zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) A full bottle for a newly rebuilt engine for the first couple of oil changes and then 1/2 bottle every oil change there after. (source: "The Official Guide to Modern Gasoline and Engine Oil for Antique Vehicles" - Randy Rundle)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

(it had to be said )
                  I use ZDDP faithfully with every oil change. Jus' sayin'
                  George

Comment

Originally posted by reichsrundfunk View Post
                    OK, I guess its a good time to dredge up the topic of oil additives. I agree that some are nonsense snake oil, but a few others out there seem to have theoretical merit. I just dumped in a bottle of Rislone Compression additive into my 259 V8. It "claims" to improve compression resulting in smoother idle and improved performance (horsepower) along with reduced oil burn due to ring wear and / or valve stem seal wear.

My engine has only 59,000 miles on it (never rebuilt). I dumped in a half quart of this stuff and within 20 miles I actually DO notice a marginal improvement, mainly in smoother idle. Since replacing the split rubber hose from the engine head to the line running to the oil gauge, oil consumption has been marginal to nil. I'm hoping that this small consumption will be further reduced.

What is everyone's thoughts on these additives? Yes, some are crappy nothing, but I[m suspecting a few of them may have some merit???????????????

-George-

A 259 engine with 59K on the clock that has received adequate maintenance has barely been broken in and should need zero in the way of oil additives except for STP, (or a suitable substitute).

Choice of the proper viscosity (to me) would be in order. At your location I would choose 10-40 with some STP simply to provide the needed ZDDP(?) cam/lifter/rocker arm protection...

Comment

My thoughts on this is not to add anything to the engine oil as I'm not as smart as the engineers at the oil companies. They design an additive package to use with their specific oil and adding anything to the oil can upset the balance of additives already in the oil. The best that can happen is nothing but lighten your wallet a bit and the worst could be long term engine damage. Any additive is a band aid to cover up a problem that should be addressed to make a permanent fix. If you feel that you need more ZDDP than what is in the oil you want to use, then I recommend finding an oil that has the additives you want such as Valvoline VR1, Brad Penn and most of the heavy duty oils such as Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac etc. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                        my question has always been: what objective, measureable evidence does anyone have of improved engine performance or other. Who can remember the NYC taxi study done years ago on different oils and additives in taxis that drove 24/7 for several years to measure (weigh engine components before and after 2+ years of severe service) engine wear ??? You can probably google the study... but the results were that additives did not affect (+ or -) engine wear.... Further.... as long as the oil was 10W-30 with the ASE burst on the bottle... all these oils performed the same. I can't remember Rislone for sure, but STP and others were a part of the study.
                        That test was done by Consumer Reports. Engines were disassembled and blueprinted to be certain they were all identical to start. They were then installed in NYC taxis, which ran essentially 24/7. At 60K miles all the engines were pulled, and every component inspected and measured for wear.

The results were just as jackb says. Using national brands of 10W30, with and without miracle additives, there was no difference at all between the engines. And none of them were worn out.

CR thought they had put to rest the old wives tales that Brand A oil was better than brand X, and that additives were something special.

CR simply provided proof, carefully and scientifically done, that any major brand of oil does everything that is desired.

But.....almost no one believed it. Thus we still find the shelves loaded with Super XXX Miracle Engine Rebuild in a Can Slickum, and folks claiming that a pint of the stuff will cure stuck rings, burnt valves, scored bores, psoriasis, cancer and impotence. And double your fuel mileage.

But for the real low-down, there's a popular site www.bobistheoilguy.com where you can read thousands of posts claiming that Brand X is better than Brand B plus a pint of Motor Honey. And vice versa for every other brand or combo. The folks there have lots of data and wives tales and agree on nothing.

Comment

I run Amzoil synthetic called Z-Rod. It has the ZDDP in it , and is engineered for older engines. It also advertises good long term storage capabilities. I think it is worth a look on their website to read more about it.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Actually I should expound just s but on what I use. In both my Studebaker Lark and Mercedes 380SL I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 Along with a bottle of ZDDPlus. I used to use Rislone in some other Studes I've owned. Not sure why I got away from that? It seemed pretty good stuff. I have heard that Lucas can actually damage the engine which is why I don't use it. I also change my oil religiously every 5000 miles. The Stude engine consumes one quart in about 800 miles so with new Dino added every 800 miles I'm not concerned about oil breakdown. It never comes out terribly dirty. The Benz goes 5000 miles on a quart.

George

Comment

I've been trusting Hemmings Motor News and their motor oil for classic cars. No problems yet in my 1962 GT Hawk or in a previously-owned 1964 Cruiser.

Bill L.
                              Bill L.
                              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X