Last Studebaker vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Studebaker vehicle

I'm a little foggy on the details, but was it the 1966 Cruiser that was the last vehicle produced by Studebaker or was it a zip van?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

The 1966 Cruiser in the SMN.

Craig

Comment

Perhaps a Zip van was the last Studebaker to be Studebaker-powered?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Perhaps a Zip van was the last Studebaker to be Studebaker-powered?
        Thatcouldbe.
        I think I'm remembering that a zip van was last thing produced at South Bend.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Thatcouldbe.
          I think I'm remembering that a zip van was last thing produced at South Bend.
          Actually the Zip Van (at least the body) was made in Pa. I've never seen if those bodies were shipped to South Bend for driveline, gauges & wiring for final assembly of if those Studebaker pieces were sent to the body plant in Pa. As I recall the bodies were made by a company that had been making vending machines and due to whatever politics were at the time, required Studebaker to use them in making the bodies. There is a picture for sale in e-bay that shows completed units on rail cars from what looked like the South Bend plant. However it was done though production was completed as I recall in April 1964.

Perhaps someone can look up the 3 issues of turning Wheels that had info on the Zip Van, april 1981, december 1992 & july 1996.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wasn't the last Studebaker in the Harrah's/national auto museum in Reno, Nevada some months ago?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I believe the museum in Reno has the last Wagonaire produced, green I believe. Nice looking wagon.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I believe the olive green 66 Wagonaire was the last sold Studebaker produced, next last Studebaker. When Jenny and I went and took a tour, when we got to that section, the tour guide has to add a comment that you can see why it was the last car Studebaker made. He said something to the effect the style was way out of date. I have been to Reno since then but not back to the museum.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  Wasn't the last Studebaker in the Harrah's/national auto museum in Reno, Nevada some months ago?
                  Its the last 6 cylinder Studebaker made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=harrahs

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Its the last 6 cylinder Studebaker made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=harrahs

Craig
                    That reminds me. A friend here in southern Oregon has a running '66 Wagoniare, V8 (but not drivable at the moment) with a 44 rear end all for $600. comes with extra roof. PM me if you want more details

Comment

Craig and Scott are correct. A Zip Van was the last Studebaker built in South Bend. The 66 Cruiser in the museum is the last Studebaker car built. It's too bad the factory didn't build one extra Zip Van to keep in the corporate collection.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        Craig and Scott are correct. A Zip Van was the last Studebaker built in South Bend. The 66 Cruiser in the museum is the last Studebaker car built. It's too bad the factory didn't build one extra Zip Van to keep in the corporate collection.
                        Then I guess that would make that zip van the last factory-built Studebaker powered Studebaker. I suppose the chances it survived are extremely slim.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Then I guess that would make that zip van the last factory-built Studebaker powered Studebaker. I suppose the chances it survived are extremely slim.
                          I believe the last Canadian-built 1964-model Lark-type was built several months after the last Zip Van, and would thus be the last Stude-powered Studebaker. Don't have access to my books at the moment, so I can't confirm that.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe the last Canadian-built 1964-model Lark-type was built several months after the last Zip Van, and would thus be the last Stude-powered Studebaker. Don't have access to my books at the moment, so I can't confirm that.
                            I agree with Skip on this assessment.
                            Zip Vans were built into the 1964 model year, but were all technically 1963 models due to the government contract.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hmmm.
                              Do we know the whereabouts of the last Studebaker powered vehicle?

Comment

Working...
                              X