Tips on 1962 Hawk Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on 1962 Hawk Purchase

Hello everyone! I am a new member on this forum and look forward to spending time here.

I may have an opportunity soon to inspect and possibly purchase a 1962 Hawk. Are there any Studebaker specific issues I should focus on when evaluating the vehicle? Thank you.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Paul, you will enjoy Membership in the SDC and the Local Chapter Beach cities Orange/Inland Empire Chapter of SDC http://Beach Cities Orange Inland Empire Chapter
    or the more distant Los Angeles Chapter.

A good Monthly read will be your Copy of Turning Wheels as well, with your International Membership, you do not need to already own your dream Hawk either!

Give a really hard look and Magnet check on the rear 4-5 Inches of the Front Fenders, Top to Bottom!

Look under the Carpet and under the Car at the front and rear Floor boards.

Check the Trunk Floor, you are obviously looking for rust or poor rust repair in all these places, also the area between the rear of the door and the front of the rear Wheelwell.

If the Car has been in Inland Calif. Arizona, New Mexico, or Nevada ALL of it's life or Garaged most of it, you stand a better chance of low rust conditions.

The 4 Speed Manual floor shift Hawks have more desirability and Value than Flight-O-Matic Borg Warner Automatics, but there certainly is nothing wrong with those, they are bulletproof when properly maintained, adjusted Lube changed etc.

Former resident of Ave "A" South Redondo Beach, in Clifton Heights area of L.A. County Unincorporated.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the tips and quick reply. I will keep your advice in mind.
      Last edited by Maximus; 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Rust is the enemy, check the floorboards, A pillars, front fender doglegs, rear fenders, rear footwells and trunk bottom. Also check the rear hood corners for warping, the hood needs to be pulled forward when opening. Check the frame for rust and swelling, pay particulate attention around the rear axle. I have owned 2 '62 GT's, one was rust free from Bakersfield, CA the other was The Looks Like Hell Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
          Hello everyone! I am a new member on this forum and look forward to spending time here.

I may have an opportunity soon to inspect and possibly purchase a 1962 Hawk. Are there any Studebaker specific issues I should focus on when evaluating the vehicle? Thank you.
          Try to find out its origins and the places it has spent much of its life. Even if its a SoCal car now... how long has it been such? If it spent much of its life anywhere in the rust belt or anywhere the roads were salted, it could be a very bad deal. You can usually tell by signs on the frame and the lighter gage metal parts under the car. Look for rust in the bottom of the frame, the rear part of the frame and any of the sheet metal where salted mud may have been thrown by the tires, i.e., behind the wheel wells, rocker panels, etc. These are the easiest places to see from first glance. If those look good, I'd go straight to mechanicals, then to upholstery and paint. Good luck. Send some pictures if you can.
          sals54

Comment

Cars from the coast area may have rust in some unusual places. The salt in the air collects on the top of the car and seeks any area it can collect in. Check under trim and around the glass. The trunk lip is another area that gets "coastal" rust. Don't ask how I know this, Let's just say I bought a 57 T-Bird from Oceanside, CA and then Hawaii before it became an Arizona car.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The inner rockers and torque boxes are also an important area to check. They are also often rusted on " rust belt" cars.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I can help you with the inspection of the Hawk in question. I live in Hawthorne and have owned a 62 Hawk since 1975. I've also been repairing Studebakers since the early 60's. Send me a PM if you're interested. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  I can help you with the inspection of the Hawk in question. I live in Hawthorne and have owned a 62 Hawk since 1975. I've also been repairing Studebakers since the early 60's. Send me a PM if you're interested. Bud
                  Great offer, Maximus! Not many new Studebaker fans get this kind of opportunity before buying. Even worth springing for Lunch!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I like the lunch idea. Throw in a couple of beers and the deal is even better. Bud

Comment

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. There is an amazing amount of useful information on this forum. I will post an update on the status of the inspection and purchase if it happens.

Comment

So are you going to meet with my old friend Bud, from my Home Town Hawthorne?
                        He is a great guy and will not mislead you.
                        As John said; a Great opportunity.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes I am going to contact Bud and rely on his expertise in the event of an inspection.

Comment

Working...
                          X