power steering fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: power steering fluid

can i usethe same power steering fluid as ford uses in my 64 cruiser 289 v/8? thanks in advance.leonard

I predict you will get an onslaught here, advising you to use ATF, as was originally specified. Problem is, the ATF of today bears little resemblance to that of the 50s-60s. I have been using STP brand PS fluid now in Studes since around 1997. The STP brand is getting hard to find, so I have recently been using Prestone to substitute. Either of them work great, and work equally well in earlier Saginaw PS and later Bendix PS, as found in Studes. When I say they work great, I am talking about smoothness, noise, and tendency to leak less than ATF.

Whatever you choose, stay away from anti-leak additives, separately or included in the PS fluid. It swells the rubber in the seals and hoses, and will lead to problems.

I cannot take credit for the PS fluid tip, since a guy at a Fresno Meet told me about it back in 1997. He told me he'd been using it for years, even back then. I found through my own experiences later, he was correct in everything he said about it.

As for the Ford PS fluid, I'd look at the Prestone label in the garage. It says it was, "developed for most GM, Ford and Chrysler cars and light trucks..." So looks like it would be compatible with your Ford PS fluid, therefore the Ford fluid will likely be OK in your Stude.

Comment

Depending on what year Ford you are talking about, the P/S units may be almost identical--if it's the Bendix style on the Ford. Other than the warning Joe indicates most "fluids" will work as well or better than ATF. I have even used hydraulic fluid for tractor rams in an emergency, they work but turn black quickly.

Comment

Use Merc-Dex ATF . Do NOT use PS fluid!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          Use Merc-Dex ATF . Do NOT use PS fluid!
          Well its a little late to advise me that now, as I have been using it for over 20 years, as explained in post #2 above. Just curious, why NOT use power steering fluid in a power steering system? What is unique about Studebaker PS systems that ATF MUST be used???

Comment

Joe; I don't have a clue!!! Interesting that ps fluid works; I always assumed it had to do with viscosity and lubricity but it is really such a simple system that anything would likely work. Always assumed (there we go again - assuming!) That since it manual and the lid to the reservoir say to use Type II ATF that that is what should be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
              Joe; I don't have a clue!!! Interesting that ps fluid works; I always assumed it had to do with viscosity and lubricity but it is really such a simple system that anything would likely work. Always assumed (there we go again - assuming!) That since it manual and the lid to the reservoir say to use Type II ATF that that is what should be used.
              Those were basically my thoughts 20 years ago, when the guy in Fresno clued me. Imagine that, nowadays they actually formulate something especially for power steering systems. No longer need to substitute with something designed for automatic transmissions. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X