1953 Studebaker VIN information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Studebaker VIN information

As the title reads, I need information about the VIN sequence found on a 1953 Studebaker 2 door Hardtop. Specifically, I thought the VIN for those cars was 7 numbers starting with an 8 (ex 8301409) found on the Serial Number Plate located on the Driver's door post. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is I am looking at another 53 Studebaker 2 door hardtop that is rough - but savable, and we can't get the Driver's door open (frozen shut). The Seller's title says the VIN is G123XXXX. Did some of the other Studebaker assembly plants (say Canada) start the sequence with a G? If this title is one that could be issued for a 53 Studebaker 2 door Hardtop, I plan to buy the car once I get the door open and verify the VIN is the same as the VIN on the Title. If this letter/number system is not correct for a 53 2 door Studebaker hardtop, what type of Studebaker (if any) would it be found on? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ricky Ott

Studebakers were built before the VIN system was put into place.

The G123XXXX is the serial number of the car. The body number (on the firewall. passenger side, in the engine compartment) tells you the body style and trim level, or level of deluxe-ness if you will.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

As Roy indicates, a VIN is a 17 digit code that started in 1981.

1953 Commander serial numbers started with 8290001 for South Bend produced cars, 8826801 for LA produced cars and 8955401 for Canada produced cars.

1953 Champion serial numbers started with G1197501 for South Bend produced cars, G917701 for LA produced cars and G745101 for Canada produced cars.

Also as Roy states, you can't determine the body style from the serial number. Only from the body tag on the firewall. A 53 Hardtop will have a K5 as the body type.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Off topic, but if you search Youtube for 53 Studebakers, there's a great video of Dick's car. Sorry just had to give it a plug (lol).
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hi Ricky, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.

In case you are not aware of the difference between a Champion (G Series Serial) and a Commander (8 Series Serial) is:

The Champion has a 169 c.i.d. Flathead Six Cylinder Engine and Power Train, Brakes etc.

The Commander has a 232 c.i.d. V8 Engine and stronger Power Train and Brakes.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys for all your responses. They were very informative - now all I have to do is get the door open to verify the Serial Number on the door post matches the Serial Number on the Title. The car does not have the engine or tranny, and apparently not a Commander, so I have a clean slate to work with. This is a retirement project (next year) after I finish the 1958 corvette we are rebuilding.

Ricky

Comment

Crawl underneath and look at the rear crossmember, just ahead of the rear bumper. Take a wire brush and clean the area near the center of the cross member, to the inside lip and you should find the Serial Number.

Comment

That's if the number stamped on the cross-member hasn't rusted away.
                Mark L

Comment

If the price is right don't worry about a title matching as getting a new one if needed is not a real problem, if it matches all the better main thing is if the price is right for a project or parts car get it. these are money makers either way.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                    That's if the number stamped on the cross-member hasn't rusted away.
                    Yep! If the door hinges are rusted shut, the probability that the secret Serial Number has also rusted beyond recognition are very high.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you can get the passenger side open , reach over and try the drivers door from the inside.

Comment

Here in B.C. the Motor Vehicle Branch used engine numbers firstly then serial numbers then vin numbers. I reregistered my 53 sedan in 1980 and they used the serial number G757647.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05955.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1712871Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05956.JPG
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1712872

Comment

Here in B.C. they used the engine numbers firstly, then serial numbers,Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05955.JPG
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1712873Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05956.JPG
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1712874 then vin numbers.

Comment

I like things in duplicate

Comment

Working...